Ditch the toxic chlorine bleach. Make your own for pennies with this DIY natural bleach alternative recipe. It cleans and whiten naturally.
Years ago, I used chlorine bleach to whiten my clothes and get mold and mildew out of my tile grout. I hated the smell and always felt a bit dizzy after using it even though I always diluted it. I thought wearing gloves would be enough to protect myself, but even the fumes can cause serious health issues.
In fact, there are a number of studies that show a clear connection between toxic cleaning supplies, like bleach, and the development of asthma in people who had never had previous signs of it.1 Read 5 Reasons to Avoid Chlorine Bleach to learn more.
As I learned more about the health risks and toxicity of bleach, I phased it out of my home. Believe me, it was hard to live with towels and socks that were no longer white, but my family’s health is more important.
Thankfully, I’ve discovered a more natural way whiten my laundry and get the mold and mildew out of my tile grout with simple products in my kitchen.
DIY Natural Bleach Alternative
This DIY Natural Bleach Alternative recipe is amazing. It’s frugal (actually dirt cheap), easy to make and non-toxic. I make a batch to store in a 20 oz. spray bottle and use as needed for cleaning tubs, tiles/grout and even as a stain remover. It’s a cleaning powerhouse – it cleans and whitens without removing the original color (like chlorine bleach).
I also just add a cup of this mixture to my laundry to whiten my clothes and towels naturally. It works incredibly well, but without the toxins or the nose-numbing fumes.
About the Ingredients
Hydrogen peroxide (3% solution you can find at most drug stores) is a fantastic sanitizer and disinfectant. It’s non-toxic and whitens without harsh chemicals.
Lemon juice is a natural cleaner and helps to boost the whitening effects of this recipe.
Essential oils are great for cleaning.
- Add all ingredients to a quart-sized jar or container.
- Use 1 cup of this solution as needed for laundry.
- For tougher cleaning stains, add another 1/2 cup of hydrogen peroxide to the mixture.
- About the Ingredients
- Hydrogen peroxide (3% solution you can find at most drug stores) is a fantastic sanitizer and disinfectant.
- It's non-toxic and whitens without harsh chemicals. Lemon juice is a natural cleaner and helps to boost the whitening effects of this recipe. Essential oils are great for cleaning.
1. Essential Oil Desk Reference Guide, 6th edition, Life Science Publishing.
FREE DIY Beauty Book
Get glowing skin and learn how to make your own DIY beauty products with simple ingredients from your kitchen. Plus, get my 7-day essential oils course to get gorgeous skin from the inside out.