Did you know convention household cleaners are loaded with toxic chemicals? That’s why I prefer to make my own DIY natural household cleaner. It’s so easy to make and WAY cheaper. Let me explain…
How to Clean Your Home Naturally
The next time you walk through a drug store or big box store like Target check out the household cleaners section. You’ll be overwhelmed at all the choices – even with the so-called natural cleaners. Here’s the thing – you actually DON’T need those harsh, toxic chemicals to clean your home. In fact, when it comes to cleaning – simpler is better. Check out my blog post 7 Toxic Household Cleaners to Avoid + The Problem with “Natural” Store-Bought Cleaners to learn more.
You probably already have most of the ingredients you already need to clean your home naturally, such as vinegar, hydrogen peroxide and liquid castile soap. In fact, this recipe calls for just 3 ingredients. You can’t get much simpler than that. And to top it off – this recipe will literally cost you pennies compared to those natural cleaners you’ll find in the stores.
And if you’re not into DIY, I have another option for you that will cost less than a dollar a bottle. Learn more about Thieves Household Cleaner.
DIY Natural Household Cleaner
This DIY All-Purpose Household Cleaner is great for spraying down counters, stove tops, kitchen cabinets, dining tables and chairs, bathroom counters, and even toilets. It’s my go-to household cleaner. Use it with a reusable kitchen cloth to save on paper towels.
- 5-10 drops of Thieves essential oil (where to buy)
- 2 tbsp of liquid castile soap
- 16 oz spray bottle
- Warm water
- Add liquid castile soap and essential oils to spray bottle.
- Fill with water and shake well.
- Use as needed.
Looking for Other Eco-Friendly Cleaners for the Home?
Check out DIY Non-Toxic Cleaning Recipes by Heather Dessinger of Mommypotamus. You’ll find recipes for cleaning all areas of the home – such as detergents, drain cleaners and hand soap – as well as baby and personal care.
- Basic ingredients and equipment you’ll need
- All about essential oils
- All-purpose cleaner recipes
- Cleaning recipes for the kitchen (fruit and veggie wash, liquid dish soap, rise aid, degreaser and more)
- Cleaners for the bath (soft scrub, tub and tile remover and more)
- Laundry products (powdered detergent, scented dryer sheets, wool dryer balls and more)
- Wood care (furniture wax, hardwood floor wash and more)
- Carpet and tile care (stain remover, carpet deodorizer and more)
- Leather care (leather conditioner and more)
- All about polishing and caring for metals (stainless steal cleaner, brass polish and more)
- Air fresheners
- Tutorials for how to make soap, washing soda, unpaper towels and more
For instance, this Citrus Splash All-Purpose Spray Cleaner costs just $1.62 to make a 32 oz. bottle. Compare that to $3-4 for store-bought brands. That’s more than a 50% savings. Plus, you’re using natural ingredients without harmful chemicals – even some all-natural cleaning products have questionable ingredients such as methylisothiazolinone.
Even if you’re not ready to replace every cleaner in your home, this e-book is great because you can choose one product to replace (such as an All-Purpose Cleaner), and this e-book will still pay for itself after you go through a few bottles. The easiest thing for me to replace was my Laundry Detergent (another big waste if you buy from the store).
And dryer sheets. We used to spend so much on dryer sheets – for what? The smell and static clean? Conventional dryer sheets are loaded with toxic chemicals that can cause allergies and asthma. These wool dryer balls are cheaper and work better than dryer sheets because they help to speed drying time.
Buy It Now
DIY Non-Toxic Cleaning Recipes is just $24.95 and includes more than 50 tested-and-proven cleaning recipes that really work. You can download the PDF instantly and view it on any e-reader, tablet, laptop or desktop computer. Plus, you’ll have exclusive access to video tutorials online for e-book buyers only.
1. Formula 409, Guide to Healthy Cleaning, EWG.
Photo credit: Bigstockphoto.com / llaszlo
Sign up to get a FREE copy of my e-book, The Essential Home: Quick Start Guide to DIY - available exclusively to subscribers.
You'll also get weekly updates with the latest DIY tutorials, natural health tips, and real food recipes.