Ditch those disposable cleaning wipes filled with bleach and antibacterial cleaning agents and make these easy DIY Reusable Cleaning Wipes instead. They’re so much better for you and the environment. But first, let’s delve deeper into why those bleach cleaning wipes need to go…
Did you know disposable cleaning wipes are loaded with bleach and other toxic chemicals? WHAT?! Yep. And I speak from experience. I was THAT mom who has the bleach cleaning wipes and thought cleaning every surface of my home – the floors, countertops, doorknobs, etc. – would kill all the germs and bacteria. But guess what? All the chemicals in those bleach cleaning wipes were actually making my family sick.
The bleach and other antibacterial cleaning agents in those disposable cleaning wipes can actually trigger asthma, allergies and other respiratory issues just by using them on surfaces in your home. That means, just be touching or breathing in these chemicals can cause these health issues. Not to mention, direct exposure can irritate the skin, and kids who ingest the chemicals can be at risk for poisoning.
Ugh! So what can you do instead? Here’s the thing… you don’t need those bleach and antibacterial cleaners to make your home clean. Your body needs some healthy bacteria to thrive, but I get it… you want to prevent things like the cold or flu from going around.
So figure out whether you need to clean or disinfect. They are two different things. Cleaning just means wiping up a mess, cleaning up dirt, etc. Disinfecting means to kill bacteria on a surface, which you can easily do with hydrogen peroxide. Most of us disinfect everything when it’s not really needed. Just focus on things like kitchen messes from handling raw meat or chicken, cutting boards, etc. Use hydrogen peroxide direct on those surfaces and check out 15 Everyday Uses for Hydrogen Peroxide You Didn’t Know.
For other cleaning, you can use these DIY Reusable Cleaning Wipes. It makes cleaning a breeze! Just take one out and use to clean the kitchen countertops, doorknobs, refrigerator, dusting, bathroom surfaces, baseboards, etc. The essential oils make them smell amazing too.
You might also like 20 Ways to Clean Your Home with Thieves Household Cleaner.
How to Make DIY Reusable Cleaning Wipes
Get your ingredients together.
Cut the reusable cloth wipes in half.
Add the rest of the water and hydrogen peroxide (this helps to keep the water solution sanitized and extends the shelf life to about a week).
Close lid and shake well.
DIY Reusable Cleaning Wipes
- 1 airtight glass container
- 2-3 cups warm water
- 2 tbsp liquid castile soap
- 5 drops Lemongrass essential oil
- 5drops Lavender essential oil
- 1/8 cup hydrogen peroxide.
- Reusable cloth wipes
- Add ½ the water to the airtight glass container then add the liquid castile soap.
- Add 5 drops of each essential oil an mix well.
- Cut the reusable cloth wipes in half.
- Roll each one and place them standing up in the airtight glass container.
- Add the rest of the water and hydrogen peroxide.
- Close lid and shake well.
How to Use
- Take a wipe out as needed to clean surfaces. The water/peroxide solution will last about a week. The hydrogen peroxide helps to keep the water sanitized.
- Separate all dirty wipes and set them to the side. Wash them together in the laundry machine.
- Make a new batch of reusable wipes as needed.
FREE DIY Beauty Book
Get glowing skin and learn how to make your own DIY beauty products with simple ingredients from your kitchen. Plus, get my 7-day essential oils course to get gorgeous skin from the inside out.