Ditch that toxic toilet bowl cleaner under your sink and make these easy Homemade Toilet Bomb Fizzies that naturally clean and deodorize.
Making Toilet Bomb Fizzies
Toilet bombs… This whole post is really funny for me to write because the bathrooms in a home with three boys?! Yeah, let’s just say I know all about bombs in the toilet, pee on the floor, that funky odor that smells like a train station urinal, the shreds of toilet paper on the floor. Yep, I know ALL about toilet bombs.
I’ve seriously thought about tell the boys to just pee outside on a tree, but I have a feeling the neighbors won’t like that. But I’ve been desperate. When you live with that gross urine smell in your bathroom, you’ll do anything to get rid of it.
Well, thankfully I found it with these Homemade Toilet Bombs. It’s made with baking soda (helps to gently clean and whiten), hydrogen peroxide (helps to naturally sanitize), citric acid (helps to get rid of dirt/grime and helps with hard water spots), and essential oils for a naturally clean scent.
My Bathroom Cleaning Routine
First, spray down the toilet and the tile around the toilet (even the walls and cabinets) with Thieves Household Cleaner. I then clean the toilet lid, seat, and pretty much every area except in the toilet bowl itself. Thieves Household Cleaner gently cleans and can get rid of the smell without harsh chemicals.
Then, use these Homemade Toilet Bombs in the bowl itself. It will replace those toxic toilet bowl cleaners and clean just as well (if not better).
Finally, I spray down the toilet and the bathroom with this DIY Air Freshener. Purification essential oil blend is one of my favorites in this air freshener recipe, as well as Lemon and Lavender essential oils mixed together.
Okay, are you ready to get that funky odor out of your bathroom? Here’s how you can make these Homemade Toilet Bombs.
Did you make these Homemade Toilet Bomb Fizzies? Don’t forget to rate them and comment below to let me know how it went. You can also FOLLOW ME on Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest to see what other fun things I’m getting up to.
- 2 cups baking soda
- 1/2 cup citric acid
- 2 tbsp hydrogen peroxide
- 15 drops essential oils , such as Thieves, Purification, Tea Tree, Lemongrass or Peppermint (I really love 10 drops Lemongrass + 5 drops Peppermint together or if you're going for simple try 15 drops of Purification)
- Silicone mold or sheet pan and parchment paper
- In a large bowl, mix baking soda and citric acid ingredients together well.
- Very slowly (a few drops at a time) add hydrogen peroxide to baking soda/citric acid mixture. Mix well as you continue to add hydrogen peroxide. You may notice some fizzing - just keep stirring. (Note: Don't dump the hydrogen peroxide all at once as it will activate the baking soda and citric acid. It's important to stir it in very slowly.)
- Slowly add essential oils to mixture and keep mixing well as you add the essential oils.
- Test mixture. You should be able to clump it together to mold. It shouldn't be too wet or too dry. If it's too dry, add a couple of drops of hydrogen peroxide.
- Fill a silicone mold with mixture OR form small balls (about the size of Brussel sprouts) with your hands and place on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper (to avoid sticking).
- Allow molds to air dry - about 6-8 hours. Then transfer to a glass jar and store in the bathroom.
- These Homemade Toilet Bomb Fizzies are really easy to use. Simply take 1-2 toilet bombs and drop it directly into the toilet. The toilet bombs will fizz as the baking soda and citric acid react together in the water. Use a toilet brush to gently scrub all surfaces inside the toilet.
More DIY Recipes
- DIY Natural Household Cleaner
- Homemade Foaming Hand Soap
- Homemade Toilet Fizzies
- DIY Reusable Cleaning Wipes
FREE DIY Beauty Book
Get glowing skin and learn how to make your own DIY beauty products with simple ingredients from your kitchen. Plus, get my 7-day essential oils course to get gorgeous skin from the inside out.