Step-by-step guide on how to use Thieves Household Cleaner (an all-purpose) cleaner. Check out these 20+ ways to clean your home with this one cleaner. This concentrate can be diluted for an all-purpose cleaner at just $0.67 a bottle.
With three children in the house, there always seems to be a mess that needs to be cleaned up. Ink on the counter. Grass stains on a shirt. Juice stain on the couch. Dirty handprints on the wall. Who-knows-what (and I probably don’t want to know) that left a sticky mess all over my reclining leather chair.
With so many things to clean, I can’t stand to stockpile a cabinet full of cleaners. I don’t want to remember what is used for where. I just want simplicity.
And then I found Thieves Household Cleaner. This stuff is like the equivalent of Windex in the movie My Big Fat Greek Wedding. Got stains in the shower grout? Got stains on the carpet?Need a tough degreaser? Need hand soap? Thieves Household Cleaner will clean it all!
In fact, you can even add Thieves Household Cleaner to a mini spray bottle and use it to clean on the go – like the grime off your hands when you pump gas for your car or to clean little messy hands from eating in the car.
What is Thieves Household Cleaner?
It’s hard to believe, but this is truly an all-in-one natural cleaner that’s non-toxic, yet super effective.
Thieves Household Cleaner is made with 100% plant- and mineral-based ingredients, including
- Vegetable-based surfactants like alkyl polyglucoside that are compliant with Green Seal and EPA Design for Environment (DfE) standards
- Biodegradable cutting agents like sodium methyl 2-sulfolaurate and disodium 2-sulfolaurate from renewable sources (both ingredients rated 0 on a 10 point scale on the Environmental Working Group’s health hazard score – which is the best score possible)
- Therapeutic-grade Thieves and Lemon essential oils (the highest quality and purity essential oils) for natural cleaning
Why It’s Economical
Save time and money by buying one cleaning product. You won’t have to make trips to multiple stores or order from multiple online sources. Thieves Household Cleaner is an all-in-one cleaning product that will replace most of your household cleaners.
Thieves Household Cleaner is a concentrate. For most all-purpose cleaning, dilute 30 parts of water to 1 part of Thieves Household Cleaner. That breaks down to one 64 oz bottle of Thieves Household Cleaner concentrate = about 128 all-purpose spray bottles (30 oz. each) for about 88 cents a bottle. That’s cheaper than most all-natural cleaners on the market.
BUT there’s a way to save even more money. I can help you to get wholesale pricing to save even more. With a wholesale membership, you’ll pay just 67 cents a bottle and get wholesale pricing on all Young Living products – including some of my favorite natural, plant-based cleaners. Check them all out here.
- All-purpose cleaning – 30 parts water to 1 part Thieves Household Cleaner
- Heaving degreasing – 15 parts water to 1 part Thieves Household Cleaner
- Light degreasing – 60 parts water to 1 part Thieves Household Cleaner
- Glass and windows – 50-100 parts water to 1 part Thieves Household Cleaner
20 Ways to Clean with Thieves Household Cleaner
It REALLY does clean everything and the kitchen sink. It can literally replace every cleaner in your home.
Remove all items from the refrigerator. Mix 1 capful of Thieves Household Cleaner with 2 cups of water. Clean the outside of the fridge, including top, doors, and exterior water and ice areas. Clean the inside of the fridge, including shelves, produce drawers, doors, ice tray, etc.
2. Kitchen appliances
Mix 1 capful of Thieves Household Cleaner with 1 cups of water. Clean stovetops, ovens, microwaves, toasters, toaster ovens, blenders, mixers, etc. To clean the interior of a microwave, fill a microwave safe container with 2 cups of water. Place in microwave and heat for 5-10 minutes. The steam will make it easy to clean up food and food particles.
3. Light fixtures
First, dust light fixtures and bowls. Then, mix 1 capful of Thieves Household Cleaner with 3 1/2 cups of water. Clean fixtures, glass bowls, etc. to remove dirt and sticky residue.
4. Kitchen pantry, bathroom vanity, cupboards, inside drawers, under sinks
Mix 1 capful of Thieves Household Cleaner with 2 cups of water. Wipe down kitchen surfaces to remove dirt, sticky residue, etc. Consider placing a cotton ball with 2-3 drops of Thieves essential oil to keep areas under sinks, cupboards, etc. smelling clean.
5. Wooden cabinets, tables, furniture
Mix 1 capful of Thieves Household Cleaner with 1 cup of olive oil (add 2-3 drops of Lemon essential oil for a fresh lemon scent). Wipe down wooden cabinets, tables and other wooden furniture to remove dirt and clean surfaces.
6. Sinks and countertops
Mix 1 capful of Thieves Household Cleaner with 3 1/2 cups of water in a spray bottle. Spray sinks, countertops and backsplash and wipe clean to remove dirt and grime. If sinks are dirty or stained, try this DIY Soft Scrub recipe.
7. Garbage cans
For interior garbage cans, mix 1 capful of Thieves Household Cleaner with 3 1/2 cups of water in a spray bottle. Spray trash cans and wipe clean to remove dirt and grime. Consider placing a cotton ball with 2-3 drops of Thieves essential oil to keep trash can smelling clean.
For exterior and heavy duty garbage cans, mix 1 capful of Thieves Household Cleaner with 2-3 cups of water (use less water for heavier degreasing) in a bucket. Take garbage cans outside and use cleaning cloth to thoroughly clean. Use spray hose to rinse and let dry outside.
To clean inside toilets, mix 1/4 cup of baking soda and 1/2 capful of Thieves Household Cleaner to a toilet brush. Clean inside of toilet bowl and let sit for a few minutes before flushing.
To clean outside of toilets, mix 1 capful of Thieves Household Cleaner with 3 1/2 cups of water in a spray bottle. Spray outside of toilet, flusher knob, on top and underneath toilet seat to naturally clean.
9. Tile and grout
Add 1 capful of Thieves Household Cleaner with 1/2 cup of water in a spray bottle. Spray tile and grout. Let sit for a couple of minutes. Use a small brush to get stains out. You may use less water for stronger concentration as needed.
10. Windows, window sills and mirrors
Mix 1 capful of Thieves Household Cleaner with 4-5 cups of water (add 2-3 drops of Lemon essential oil for a fresh lemon scent and/or 1 tsp of white vinegar for streak-free clean). Clean windows, sills and mirrors to remove dirt, sticky residue and grime.
11. Walls, outlets and vents
First, dust all wall and outlet surfaces. Then, mix 1 capful of Thieves Household Cleaner with 3 1/2 cups of water. Clean walls, outlets and vents to remove dirt and grime.
Mix 1 capful of Thieves Household Cleaner with 4 cups of water (add 2-3 drops of Lemon essential oil for a fresh lemon scent and/or 1 tsp of white vinegar for streak-free clean). Clean windows, sills and mirrors to remove dirt, sticky residue and grime.
13. Carpet and upholstery cleaner
Mix 1 capful of Thieves Household Cleaner with about 6 cups of water and add to carpet or steam cleaner. Clean rugs, carpets and upholstery to remove dirt and grime. Be sure to spot test in an inconspicuous location first.
14. Dishwasher detergent
Add 1 capful of Thieves Household Cleaner to the bottom of the dishwasher to clean dishes.
15. Pots and pans
Mix 1/2 capful of Thieves Household Cleaner with 3cups of water to clean pots and pans.
16. Laundry detergent
Add 1-2 capfuls (depending on load size) of Thieves Household Cleaner to washer to clean clothes.
17. Baby and kids toys
Mix 1 capful of Thieves Household Cleaner with 3 cups of water in a spray bottle. Spray toys, play equipment, train tables, doll houses, toy organizers or shelves, etc. to remove dirt and naturally clean.
18. Exercise equipment, yoga mats, weights, exercise balls, etc.
Mix 1 capful of Thieves Household Cleaner with 2-3 cups of water in a spray bottle. Spray toys, play equipment, train tables, doll houses, toy organizers or shelves, etc. to remove dirt and naturally clean.
19. Hand cleaner
Mix 1/2 capful (about 1 tsp) of Thieves Household Cleaner, 1 tsp witch hazel, and 1/2 cup of water and add to a small spray bottle. Use as needed to naturally clean hands.
20. Stain remover
Got a tough stain on your clothes? Use Thieves Household Cleaner without dilution on the stain. Scrub gently with a small brush until the stain is gone.
More Thieves Cleaners to Consider
My best recommendation is to get Thieves Household Cleaner along with these plant-based cleaners from Young Living to ditch conventional, toxic cleaners for good. Thieves products are made with plant-based ingredients that are safe for the whole family (even the kids can clean) and Thieves essential oil.
- Thieves Dish Soap – a concentrated dish soap that’s gentle on hands, yet tough on food. It cleans dishes so well, even greasy, caked on food.
- Thieves Dishwasher Detergent – this powder detergent works really well in the dishwasher. You only need about half a scoop and then put vinegar in the rinse aid.
- Thieves Essential Oil – a blend made with cinnamon, clove, eucalyptus, rosemary and lemon essential oils. It’s a powerful blend that works really well for cleaning and deodorizing. It smells like fresh-baked cookies too.
- Thieves Fruit and Veggie Wash – soak your fresh produce in a sink full of water and just one capful of this. It helps to get the waxy residue, dirt, and grime off naturally.
Shop all of my favorite Thieves cleaners here.
How to Get Started with Essential Oils
- Sign up for my FREE essential oil email course in order to learn the basics.
- Check out my FREE masterclass all about essential oils and this beginner’s guide to essential oils.
- Get my essential oils online course – complete with video tutorials, e-book and everything you need to get started with essential oils.
- Find out how to buy essential oils at wholesale, and get a starter kit for 60% off retail prices. It’s the best deal around and a great way to get started with essential oils. Plus lots of freebies just for you.
More Cleaning Recipes
- DIY Natural Household Cleaner
- Homemade Foaming Hand Soap
- Homemade Toilet Fizzies
- DIY Reusable Cleaning Wipes
Photo courtesy of groworkspace
After you spray your counters, do you have to rinse!
Tracey Black says
No, you don’t have to rinse. Just spray, wipe, and you’re done.
Joyce nichols says
Can this be used on stone an granite
Tracey Black says
Yes, it’s safe for both