Make this Instant Pot Roast Chicken in less than an hour. It’s made with a delicious rotisserie seasoning blend that the whole family will love.
This Instant Pot Roast Chicken recipe is so easy and delicious. Once you make it, you’ll wonder why you ever just by chicken breasts or thighs on their own.
It’s so much more cost-effective to buy a whole chicken and cook it, and then use the bones from the chicken to make this Homemade Bone Broth Recipe (and then we make amazing soups like this Instant Pot Minestrone Soup).
It’s like getting at least three meals out of one whole chicken. We also love to shred the chicken to make chicken tacos or taco bowls (Chipotle-style). Yum!
What Makes This Instant Pot Roast Chicken So Good?
The seasoning is flavorful… like rotisserie chicken that’s even better than Costco. And the chicken comes out so tender and juicy, it will literally fall off the bone.
The added bonus? This recipe is gluten-free and Paleo-friendly… and kid-friendly too. My kiddos ask for seconds when I make this recipe.
Easy Roast Chicken
There is no guess work as to when your chicken is done! Roasting a chicken in the oven can have so many variants, and if you leave it in too long it will be dry. But in the Instant Pot it will most definitely be done at the time it states on the recipe.
What to Serve With This Instant Pot Roast Chicken
- Paleo mashed potatoes
- Crispy roasted kale
- Fresh homemade salad (try baby spinach, tomatoes, feta, cucumber)
- Roasted carrots
- Roasted parsnips
- Corn on the cob
- Homemade gravy
How to Make This Instant Pot Roast Chicken – Step by Step
1. Combine all seasoning spices in a small bowl and set aside.
2. Remove the giblets from the chicken. Stuff the chicken cavity with the lemon and onions.
3. Rub the chicken with the seasoning spices, putting extra on top of the chicken.
4. Put a metal trivet in the inner stainless steel pot. Add 1 cup water. Place the chicken on the trivet. The chicken should not be touching the water at the bottom of the Instant Pot inner pot.
5. Put the lid on and close it shut. Make sure the valve is sealed. Set on high pressure for 30 minutes (or about 6 minutes per pound of chicken). When it’s done, allow the pressure to naturally release for 10-15 minutes.
6. The meat will be really tender (falling off the bone), so if you want it intact as a whole chicken to serve carefully remove from the Instant Pot and place on a serving dish. Garnish with parsley and serve with your favorite side dish.
Can You Make Broth with Leftover Bones?
Totally! Save the liquid and bones from the chicken to make a delicious chicken bone broth later. I do this right after I make this chicken to get double time out of my crockpot before I put it away.
Can You Use a Frozen Whole Chicken in the Instant Pot?
Some people may have had success using frozen chicken. But the results seem to be mixed. So for best results, I recommend using fully thawed chicken.
Can You Add Vegetables or Rice to the Pot to Cook with the Chicken?
Rice isn’t recommended , since the cook times don’t match up. Your rice would most likely get very mushy. One vegetable that can work are small/medium red potatoes. The trick is to fit them around the chicken. They will get really soft, but they are still good. Larger/ thick carrots may work okay too.
Top Tips for Instant Pot Roast Chicken
- Opt for organic chicken, for best flavor,
- To keep the chicken extra moist and flavorful, stuff the chicken cavity with lemon and onions.
- Use the leftover bones to make broth in the crockpot.
- Serve with your favorite side.
More Instant Pot Meals You Might Like
- Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Instant Pot White Chicken Chili
- 35+ Instant Pot Whole30 Recipes
- Top 10 Instant Pot Accessories You Need
Make a whole roast chicken in less than an hour with the Instant Pot. This chicken recipe is like having a homemade rotisserie chicken without taking hours to cook.
- 1 whole organic chicken (about 4-5 lbs)
- 1 large onion cut in half
- 1 lemon cut in half
Combine all seasoning spices in a small bowl and set aside.
Remove the giblets from the chicken. Stuff the chicken cavity with the lemon and onions.
Rub the chicken with the seasoning spices, putting extra on top of the chicken.
Put a metal trivet in the inner stainless steel pot. Add 1 cup water. Place the chicken on the trivet. The chicken should not be touching the water at the bottom of the Instant Pot inner pot.
Put the lid on and close it shut. Make sure the valve is sealed. Set on high pressure for 30 minutes (or about 6 minutes per pound of chicken). When it's done, allow the pressure to naturally release for 10-15 minutes.
The meat will be really tender (falling off the bone), so if you want it intact as a whole chicken to serve carefully remove from the Instant Pot and place on a serving dish. Garnish with parsley and serve with your favorite side dish.
Photo credit: Bigstockphoto.com/ weyo
Instant Pot Recipes Made Simple
Are you struggling to find the time to cook healthy meals for your family? Do you wish you could find one-pot meals that are simple and easy to make… and your family will love?
Learn how simple it is to make healthy, one-pot meals with your Instant Pot with my cookbook. You can download Instant Pot Recipes Made Simple instantly to your phone, computer or e-reader, so it’s portable and can go with you anywhere!
With this book, you’ll get:
- Tried-and-true recipes the whole family will love – including pot roast, spaghetti, tacos, carnitas, soups, and easy breakfast meals
- Instant Pot starter guide on how to use the buttons, tips and tricks, and more
- Printable shopping lists for ingredients
- Step-by-step video lesson on how to use your Instant Pot, pressure cooker safety, and some of my favorite tips and tricks
- Two-week meal plan that you can put into action for no-stress weeknight dinners
FREE real food guide
Eat healthier in just 7 days with my real food guide and email course. You'll learn how easy it is to go gluten-free and still enjoy the foods that you love.