When it’s a cold day, I crave soup. I especially crave this Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup. It’s so delicious, yet comforting on a cold day. Actually, who am I kidding, I could eat this any day of the week.
The secret to this recipe is the bone broth, which provides beneficial protein, amino acids and so many other nutrients. I also use real food ingredients like onions, garlic, tomatoes and organic seasonings knock this dish out of the park. It rivals anything you’ll find in a restaurant, but without the junk or preservatives (like MSG.
Check the recipe notes as I’ve got an option to make this dish in the Instant Pot and even a fast-cook option with rotisserie chicken to cut down the cooking time.
Where to Get Kitchen Pantry Essentials
I get my other baking supplies like baking soda, baking powder, vanilla extract, etc. either on Amazon or my local health food store usually. But then I got a Thrive membership. If you don’t already have one – it’s awesome! It’s like Whole Foods meets Costco. Organic vanilla extract, for instance, is about $5 at my local health food store and $5.30 on Amazon. But it’s only $3.95 (YES!) on Thrive Market. Great deal right? And the raw honey?! Don’t even get me started how much that costs at the health food store. But on Thrive Market it’s just $5.45 for a 10.5 oz jar of raw honey.
Sign up for a Thrive Market membership and get an extra 20% off your first 3 orders!
Quick Cook Option: You can all ingredients to a large sauce pan and substitute the raw chicken for cooked chicken (rotisserie chicken works well) and heat for about 20 minutes.
Instant Pot Option: You could also make this in the Instant Pot. Follow steps 1-5 except place in the Instant Pot rather than the slow cooker. Press the “poultry” button and add 3 minutes to cook the chicken for a total of about 20 minutes. Release pressure and let sit for a couple of minutes.
- 1 tbsp organic, grass-fed ghee or lard
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 1 carrot, finely diced
- 2 celery stalks, finely diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups homemade bone broth
- 1 lb organic chicken breast (uncooked)
- 1 can organic stewed tomatoes (12 oz can)
- 1-2 tbsp organic cumin
- 1/2 tsp organic paprika
- Celtic sea salt, to taste
- Black pepper, freshly ground, to taste
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 cup organic cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 avocado, pitted, cubed
- Tortilla chips for garnish
- In a large sauce pan, add ghee or olive oil, onion, garlic, and celery. Cook over medium heat for 2-3 minutes or until soft. Add to slow cooker.
- Add tomatoes and carrot to blender and pulse until well pureed. Add to slow cooker.
- Add cumin, salt, pepper to slow cooker.
- Add bone broth or chicken stock to slow cooker.
- Season chicken breast with salt and pepper and add to slow cooker.
- Cook on high for about 4-5 hours.
- Remove chicken breasts to shred, and then return to slow cooker.
- Serve in bowls and garnish with cheese, cilantro, avocado and tortilla chips.
p.s. Looking for tips to transition to a real food or healthy gluten-free lifestyle? Check out my free Real Food Guide email course and e-book.