Make this nourishing and comforting Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup the whole family will enjoy. You can even make it in the Instant Pot. So delicious and easy!
When it’s a cold day, I crave soup. I especially crave this Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup. It’s so delicious, yet comforting on a cold day. Actually, who am I kidding, I could eat this any day of the week.
Using Bone Broth
The secret to this recipe is the bone broth, which provides beneficial protein, amino acids and so many other nutrients. I also use real food ingredients like onions, garlic, tomatoes and organic seasonings knock this dish out of the park. It rivals anything you’ll find in a restaurant, but without the junk or preservatives (like MSG.
Tips For Making Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Use leftover roast chicken or a rotisserie chicken to speed things up
- Add extra fresh chili for a spicy kick
- Top with sour cream and grated cheddar cheese
- Store in the fridge for 2-3 days or freeze for 1-2 months (without garnishes)
Where to Get Kitchen Pantry Essentials
p.s. Looking for tips to transition to a real food or healthy gluten-free lifestyle? Check out my free Real Food Guide email course and e-book.
Other Soup Recipes You Might Like;
Did you try this Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup? Don’t forget to rate the recipe and comment below to let me know how it went. You can also FOLLOW ME on Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest to see what other fun things I’m getting up to.
- 1 tbsp organic grass-fed ghee or lard
- 1 small onion finely diced
- 1 carrot finely diced
- 2 celery stalks finely diced
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 4 cups homemade bone broth
- 1 lb organic chicken breast uncooked
- 1 can organic stewed tomatoes 12 oz can
- 1-2 tbsp organic cumin
- 1/2 tsp organic paprika
- Celtic sea salt to taste
- black pepper freshly ground, to taste
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro chopped
- 1 cup organic cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 avocado pitted, cubed
- Tortilla chips for garnish
- In a large sauce pan, add ghee or olive oil, onion, garlic, and celery. Cook over medium heat for 2-3 minutes or until soft. Add to slow cooker.
- Add tomatoes and carrot to blender and pulse until well pureed. Add to slow cooker.
- Add cumin, salt, pepper to slow cooker.
- Add bone broth or chicken stock to slow cooker.
- Season chicken breast with salt and pepper and add to slow cooker.
- Cook on high for about 4-5 hours.
- Remove chicken breasts to shred, and then return to slow cooker.
- Serve in bowls and garnish with cheese, cilantro, avocado and tortilla chips.
- Quick Cook Option: You can all ingredients to a large sauce pan and substitute the raw chicken for cooked chicken (rotisserie chicken works well) and heat for about 20 minutes.
- Instant Pot Option: You could also make this in the Instant Pot. Follow steps 1-5 except place in the Instant Pot rather than the slow cooker. Press the “poultry” button and add 3 minutes to cook the chicken for a total of about 20 minutes. Release pressure and let sit for a couple of minutes.