You’ll never miss the gluten in this Gluten-Free Banana Bread Recipe. It’s simply delicious and it’s made without refined sugar. Enjoy it fresh out of the oven, sliced and with a pat of butter.
Baking a gluten-free banana bread is much easier than you think. The secret is the all-purpose gluten-free flour mix. I have a fantastic gluten-free flour mix recipe that you can make and store in your pantry.
This recipe is free of refined sugar and there’s an option to go egg free too. It’s a healthy morning breakfast, lunch box treat, afternoon snack or late-night dessert that both kids and adults will love.
Add-Ins for This Banana Bread Recipe
This banana bread is such a great base recipe. Who doesn’t love a classic banana bread loaf, but if you want some add-ins… why not. You can add 1/3 cup of the following:
- Chopped walnuts
- Chopped pecans
- Shredded coconut
Can You Use Any Chocolate Chips?
Yes, you can use your favorite mini chocolate chips, including dark, semi-sweet or milk chocolate. I prefer the Enjoy Life semi-sweet mini chocolate chips. It’s made with simple ingredients – no soy, corn syrup, additives or preservatives. It’s allergy-friendly too.
If you’re trying to avoid cane sugar, you can try Lilly’s semi-sweet baking chips. It’s sweetened with stevia and tastes so good.
Can You Omit the Chocolate Chips?
Yes, you can omit the chocolate chips and the cocoa powder. The banana bread still tastes great without them.
Best Bananas for Banana Bread
The best bananas for banana bread aren’t yellow; they’re black. Or they’re at least streaked with black/brown, with just the barest hint of green at the stem. And again, the darker the better: there’s no such thing as a too-ripe banana when you’re making banana bread.
There are certain ways you could speed up the ripening, like in the oven on low. But the best way is just to allow them to ripen on the counter.
How to Make This Gluten-Free Banana Bread Recipe – Step by Step
1. Gather ingredients together. Pre-heat oven to 350°F/180°C degrees and grease a loaf pan or 2 mini loaf pans.
2. Mix 1 cup coconut sugar and 1/2 cup melted butter in bowl until creamed. Stir in 2 eggs until well blended.
3. Add 4 ripe bananas and beat for 30 seconds.
4. Stir in 2 cups gluten-free flour, 1 tsp baking soda, 1 tsp baking powder, 1 tsp sea salt, 1 tsp vanilla extract, 1 tsp cinnamon, and 1 tbsp cocoa powder. Fold in 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips. Pour the batter into the loaf pan.
5. Bake for 60-70 min (bake at 60 min in 2 mini pans or 70 min in a regular loaf pan) or insert toothpick in center to make sure it’s done. Let cool for at least 30 minutes and then cut into 12 slices.
Can You Freeze This Banana Bread?
Cool the banana bread completely, then wrap tightly with plastic wrap and store in the freezer. You can also slice the bread and wrap individual slices. The bread can be frozen 2 to 4 months.
Thaw, wrapped at room temperature before serving.
Top Tips for This Gluten Free Banana Brad Recipe
- You can easily substitute eggs for an egg replacement such as flax egg or Ener-G egg replacer.
- The best way to measure gluten-free flour is the “spoon & level” method. Using a spoon, scoop the flour into the measuring cup. After you’ve spooned the flour into the measuring cup, use the back of a knife to level off the top of the measuring cup.
- Always bake with ingredients that are at room temperature. Cold ingredients do not mix as well with room-temperature ingredients.
- Walnuts are also a great, healthy addition to the mix.
- Try making this in muffin cases for individual portions (just reduce the baking time to about 30 minutes or until the center is done when you stick a toothpick in).
More Recipes You Might Like
- Gluten Free Buttermilk Pancakes
- Easy Gluten Free Pumpkin Bread Recipe
- Gluten Free Banana Coconut Muffins Recipe
- Gluten-Free S’mores Brownies
- 2 cups all-purpose gluten-free flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup coconut sugar (or organic sucanat or raw organic sugar)
- 4 ripe bananas mashed
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup butter melted
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips (I prefer Enjoy Life mini chocolate chips)
Gather ingredients together. Pre-heat oven to 350°F/180°C degrees and grease a loaf pan or 2 mini loaf pans.
Mix the coconut sugar and melted butter in bowl until creamed. Stir in the eggs until well blended.
Add the bananas and beat for 30 seconds.
Stir in the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and cocoa powder. Fold in the chocolate chips. Pour the batter into the loaf pan.
Bake for 60-70 min (bake at 60 min in 2 mini pans or 70 min in a regular loaf pan) or insert toothpick in center to make sure it's done.
Top Tips For Making This Gluten Free Banana Bread
- You can easily substitute eggs for an egg replacement such as flax egg or Ener-G
- Try adding chocolate chips for an extra treat
- Raisins or also a great, healthy addition to the mix
- Try making this in muffin cases for individual portions
Want More Recipes?
Check out my new book, Gluten-Free, Real Food Recipes for Kids.
I wrote this book with YOU in mind. Parents who want to provide kids with wholesome meals without artificial colors, preservatives and other additives.
All the recipes are gluten-free – with many options for grain free or Paleo, dairy free, egg free and vegetarian.
What’s Included In This Book
It’s filled with 130+ pages of content and recipes, including:
- Real food nutrition 101
- Detailed information on how to properly soak and sprout nuts, beans, grains and seeds
- A guide on how to spot chemical additives and what to avoid
- Kitchen essentials and cooking tools
- Tips on how to get kids to become better eaters and help in the kitchen
- 70+ gluten-free recipes – such as snacks and appetizers, beverages, condiments and dressings, main meals, desserts and more
FREE real food guide
Eat healthier in just 7 days with my real food guide and email course. You'll learn how easy it is to go gluten-free and still enjoy the foods that you love.