These Gluten-Free Buttermilk Pancakes are so delicious, and easy to make. I add a secret ingredients to make them extra light and fluffy. Find out what…
This post contains affiliate links. Please read my affiliate disclosure.
My kids have the same request every weekend: Pancakes for breakfast! It’s a tradition of ours to make these Gluten-Free Buttermilk Pancakes. They are scrumptious and so fluffy. It’s easily become our favorite gluten-free recipes for breakfast.
What Makes These Buttermilk Pancakes So Fluffy?
Apple cider vinegar is the key. It helps to activate the baking powder and gives the pancakes a light, fluffy texture. I promise you will NOT miss the traditional wheat version. I actually add ACV to many of my bread recipes for the same reason – a light and fluffy texture – which is something we welcome in the world of gluten-free baking, where breads can come out too dense.
Now one twist on this recipe is to use bacon grease (yes, you read that right) instead of coconut oil to grease the griddle. Trust me, you’ll love it. These Gluten-Free Buttermilk Pancakes will have a hint of bacon in them – and really who doesn’t love bacon?! You could even put some cooked bacon pieces in the batter. Yep, bacon pancakes. Yum!
Top Tips For Making Buttermilk Pancakes
Now be sure to make a double batch and keep the extra pancakes in the freezer. That way, all your kids need to do is heat them up in the toaster for a nutritious breakfast on the go.
Serve them with maple syrup, chopped fruit or have them as they are, so delicious!
Be sure to try my Pumpkin Buttermilk Einkorn Pancakes, if you can tolerate wheat, and make some Oven-Baked Bacon perfectly with no mess in just 20 minutes. I get my baking supplies like baking soda, baking powder, vanilla extract, etc. either on Amazon or my local health food store usually.
Gluten Free Buttermilk Pancakes
- 2 cups all-purpose gluten-free flour
- 2 tbsp raw honey or natural sweetener of choice
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 1/4 cup buttermilk or 1 cup plus 3 tablespoons milk + 1 tablespoon raw apple cider vinegar
- 1 large egg (you can also use an egg replacement such as Ener-G)
- 1/2 tsp organic vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp organic coconut oil + 2 tbsp for greasing the pan
- Heat a griddle or large pan on low-medium heat. Grease the pan with about 1 tbsp coconut oil.
- In a large mixing bowl, add all dry ingredients together and mix lightly.
- Add wet ingredients together and mix lightly.
- Combine wet and dry ingredients together. Use an electric mixer to get all the lumps out. You may need to add another tablespoon or two of all-purpose gluten-free flour as needed to get a thick consistency.
- Scoop a 1/4 cup of pancake mixture and add to the pan. You should be able to cook 3-4 pancakes at once.
- Flip pancakes when the bottom starts to bubble. Cook both sides until golden brown.
- Repeat steps 5-8 until all pancake mixture is cooked.
Check out my book, Gluten-Free, Real Food Recipes for Kids. I wrote this book with YOU in mind. Parents who want to provide kids with wholesome meals without artificial colors, preservatives and other additives. All the recipes are gluten-free – with many options for grain free or Paleo, dairy free, egg free and vegetarian.
What’s Included In This Book
It’s filled with 130+ pages of content and recipes, including:
- Real food nutrition 101
- Detailed information on how to properly soak and sprout nuts, beans, grains and seeds
- A guide on how to spot chemical additives and what to avoid
- Kitchen essentials and cooking tools
- Tips on how to get kids to become better eaters and help in the kitchen
- 70+ gluten-free recipes – such as snacks and appetizers, beverages, condiments and dressings, main meals, desserts and more
More Recipes + Tips You Might Like
- How to Season Cast Iron Pans and Make Them Non-Stick
- Easiest Crustless Gluten-Free Quiche Ever
- 50+ Healthy Gluten-Free and Grain-Free Breakfast Ideas
Did you try this Gluten-Free Buttermilk Pancakes recipe? Don’t forget to rate the recipe and comment below to let me know how it went. You can also FOLLOW ME on Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest to see what other fun things I’m getting up to.
Photo credit: Bigstockphotos.com / Elena Veselova