Keep your shower clean from build-up and soap scum with this DIY Daily Shower Cleaner Spray. It’s easy to make with just a few ingredients you already have in your home.
You won’t believe how easy it is to make a shower cleaner spray to use every day after your take a shower to help prevent build up and soap scum. It’ll save you time from having to do a deep clean of the shower.
The Problem with Store-Bought Shower Sprays
Have you seen daily shower sprays in the store? It’s tempting to get one to use at home to help with soap scum and build-up in the shower, but take a look at the label and you’ll be surprised to find ingredients you can hardly pronounce. Here’s the ingredients from a popular shower spray brand:
- EDTA – linked to vision issues
- Ethanolamine – linked to allergies, respiratory issues, endocrine issues
- Propylene Glycol – linked to skin irritations and allergies
- Fragrance – may contain up to 200 different chemicals to make up an artificial scent
You don’t need these ingredients to make an effective daily shower cleaner spray. It’s actually simple and easy to make your own homemade version.
Daily Shower Spray – Cheaper Than Store Bought
This shower spray is made with just a few ingredients. You can customize it based on what you have. For instance, if you don’t have vodka, use rubbing alcohol. Or you can omit the hydrogen peroxide and vinegar (which you’ll want to do it if you have natural stone like marble or travertine in the shower).
The simplified version of this recipe is just the vodka (double the amount in the recipe), water, and essential oils.
Best of all, it costs just pennies to make this shower spray so it’s cost-effective to use it every day to save time in the long run over scrubbing shower walls and doors.
Ingredients to Make a Shower Spray
- Vodka (or rubbing alcohol) deodorizes and disinfects surfaces.
- Hydrogen peroxide naturally cleans and whitens surfaces, while disinfecting surfaces from soap scum.
- Vinegar helps to break down soap scum on shower doors, tubs and tile and lets this spray rinse clean. Omit the vinegar on natural stone such as marble, granite, or travertine.
- Liquid dish soap such as Thieves Dish Soap gives this spray just a bit of a cleaning agent so the spray binds
- Essential oils like Lemon helps to degrease and clean, while Tea Tree helps to fight odors and purifies surfaces.
What Essential Oils to Use?
You can use a combination of essential oils to provide the natural scent in this recipe, including:
- Eucaplutus (or Raven blend)
- Purification blend
- Tea Tree
- Thieves blend
I prefer a mix of citrus like Lemon (degreaser) and Tea Tree (odor fighter) but any of these essential oils will work.
Find out how to buy essential oils at wholesale, and get a starter kit for 60% off retail prices. It’s the best deal around and a great way to get started with essential oils.
How to Make this Shower Spray – Step by Step
1. Remove the nozzle in a 20 oz spray bottle.
2. Place a funnel over the bottle and add 1 1/2 cups water, 1/4 cup vodka or rubbing alcohol, 1/4 cup hydrogen peroxide, 1 tbsp vinegar, 1 tsp natural liquid dish soap, 10 drops Lemon essential oil , and 10 drops Tea Tree essential oil.
3. Replace nozzle and tighten cap. Shake well.
How to Use This Shower Spray
Shake well before using and spray generously on shower walls, doors and curtain daily after you shower. No rinsing needed.
This shower spray works well to prevent build-up and soap scum. If you already have soap scum, use this Homemade Soft Scrub to get rid of it and then the shower spray as maintenance.
Top Tips for This Shower Cleaner Spray
- Opt for citrus essential oils like Lemon to degrease and clean surfaces and Tea Tree to deodorize.
- Omit the vinegar if you have natural stone in your shower like marble, granite, or travertine.
- Use any natural liquid dish soap (I like Thieves Dish Soap), but avoid liquid castile soap as it may leave a residue.
How to Get Started with Essential Oils
- Sign up for my FREE essential oil email course in order to learn the basics.
- Check out my FREE masterclass all about essential oils and this beginner’s guide to essential oils.
- Get my essential oils online course – complete with video tutorials, e-book and everything you need to get started with essential oils.
- Find out how to buy essential oils at wholesale, and get a starter kit for 60% off retail prices. It’s the best deal around and a great way to get started with essential oils. Plus lots of freebies just for you.
More DIY Recipes You Might Like
7-Day Decluttering Challenge
Looking for ways to clean and declutter your home? Join my FREE 7-Day Decluttering Challenge! I’ll go more in-depth on how to declutter your bathrooms and every room in your home. I’ll also show you how to deal with the emotions that often come up when you’re decluttering and simple strategies you can use to overcome them.
DIY Daily Shower Cleaner Spray
- 20 oz glass spray bottle
- Remove nozzle in spray bottle.
- Place a funnel over the bottle and add all ingredients.
- Replace nozzle and tighten cap. Shake well.
- To use, spray generously on shower door, walls, curtains, and fixtures daily after you take a shower. No rinsing needed.