At the first sign of a cold or flu, I give my kids vitamin D3, echinacea and black elderberries. I find this trio of homeopathic ingredients to be the ideal combination to knock out colds and the flu before it gets worse. While my kids actually take these supplements pretty easily, I wanted to find a way to make it easier for them. They already love my homemade electrolyte drink and superfood gummy fruit snacks, so I got an idea to make cold-busting fruit gummies that both tasted good and good for them.
I added black cherry juice to this recipe for flavor and to pack a punch of antioxidants into each serving – which is exactly what kids need when they’re not feeling well.
Cold and Flu-Buster Gummies with Elderberry and Black Cherry
- 1/2 cup black cherry juice, unsweetened
- 1/2 cup filtered water
- 1/4 cup black elderberry extract
- Children’s echinacea drops
- Children’s vitamin D3 drops
- 3 tbsp grass-fed gelatin
- 2 tbsp organic maple syrup or raw, organic honey
- Heat up 1/2 of the cherry juice and all of the water over low-medium heat.
- Add the raw honey or maple syrup. Remove from heat.
- Add the gelatin and whisk until there are no lumps. Add the remaining cherry juice and mix well. The consistency will thicken.
- Pour into a 12-cavity silicone mold (if you use a mold with more or fewer cavities you may need to adjust the quantity of the ingredients accordingly).
- In each cavity, add 1 teaspoon of elderberry extract, 1 serving of vitamin D3 (500 IU – I used 8 drops), 1 serving of echincea (1 used 10 drops).
- Refrigerate for 4-5 hours. When ready, pop out of the molds. They should come out pretty easily. Pop them in the freezer for a few minutes if they gummy snacks don’t come out easily.
Makes about 12 cold-busting gummy snacks. Give kids up to 4 gummies per day.
Note: Please ask your doctor before giving to a child under the age of 1. This recipe is suited for kids 1 and older. Please see full disclaimer below.
PAID ENDORSEMENT DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog. Please see all my disclosures and disclaimers, including Amazon and other affiliate partners.