Looking for a simple, yet effective natural remedy for the cold and flu? You’ve got to try this Honey Lemon Ginger Elixir that is so easy to make, and the whole family can use it.
I’ve drinking this concoction since I was a kid. My mom would make it for me and call it “honey water”. Sometimes I’d take a spoonful by itself, while other times I’d stir it in with a warm cup of water (or even add some ice to that warm water for an iced version that was just as effective).
Well, turns out mom was right (I never doubted her). Honey, lemon and ginger are three of the most power natural remedies for cold and flu.
Honey Lemon Ginger Elixir – Natural Cold Remedy
When it comes to sore throats and cough, raw honey is my first defense. It’s fantastic for soothing the throat and reducing coughs. In a study by Penn State College of Medicine, researchers found that in children with upper respiratory infection honey reduced nighttime coughing and improved sleep quality better than over-the-counter cough medicine. Pretty amazing, right? Well, that’s not all. The World Health Organization (WHO) and the American Academy of Pediatrics both recommend honey as a natural cough remedy.
In addition, honey has antiseptic and antibacterial constituents that can help combat cold and flu, as well as other health issues too.
Lemon and honey are the perfect duo when it comes to cold and flu remedies. Both honey and lemon help to soothe sore throat, and help the body to fight infection. Lemon juice contains vitamin C, which may help to shorten the duration of a cold, and antioxidants that help to boost immunity.
Ginger is well-known as a natural remedy for nausea and vomiting, which can come in handy for the stomach flu. It also has anti-inflammatory properties to soothe sore throats and antibacterial properties to helps to fight off infection.
How to Make Honey Lemon Ginger Elixir – Natural Cold Remedy
It’s pretty easy to make this elixir. I’ve got the full recipe below. Just remember to use all organic ingredients and raw honey. The shelf life of this elixir (which yields one pint in this recipe) is a couple of months – as honey acts as a natural preservative.
Here’s how to make this Honey Lemon Ginger Elixir:
1. Cut lemons and ginger into slices. You could also grate the ginger.
2. Layer lemons and ginger in a pint-sized Mason jar.
3. Add raw honey until jar is full. Cover with a lid and let sit for 12 hours before first use.
4. Store it in the refrigerator and use as needed.
5. Use 1-2 tbsp at a time once the elixir has set for the 12 hours.
More Posts You Might Like
- Instant Pot Elderberry Syrup
- Immune-Boosting Elderbery Gummy Snacks for the Cold and Flu
- 35+ Natural Remedies for the Cold and Flu
- 2 medium-sized lemons
- 1/4 cup fresh ginger root
- 1 cup raw honey or Manuka honey
- Wash lemons, pat dry and thinly slice.
- Cut ginger root into slices or grate.
- In a pint-sized Mason jar, add lemon slices and ginger root, alternate in layers.
- Top off with raw honey until jar is full.
- Put on lid and store in the refrigerator.
- As needed, add 1-2 tbsp of honey, lemon and ginger elixir in a cup of warm water. Stir well and enjoy.
Photo credit: Bigstockphoto.com / Melica73
FREE real food guide
Eat healthier in just 7 days with my real food guide and email course. You'll learn how easy it is to go gluten-free and still enjoy the foods that you love.