Try this delicious and easy-to-make Turmeric Latte Recipe (Golden Milk Drink) that’s caffeine free and tastes similar to a chai latte.
I just got back from a trip to Australia, and it was absolutely GORGEOUS! We stayed mostly on the Gold Coast and enjoyed the sun and the surf. I’m already thinking about going back to visit and staying a lot longer. The Aussies are the nicest bunch I’ve ever met while traveling.
One thing that really stood out to me was there were so many healthy choices for food. There were a ton of restaurants with gluten-free, vegetarian and vegan options – as well as trendy foods you’d typically find in Southern California, like green juice bars, green smoothies, and acai bowls.
The Inspiration For This Latte
While we were in Byron Bay, an adorable beachside town in the northernmost part of New South Wales, we found that the restaurants and retail shops weren’t big conglomerates, but rather locally owned establishments. One of them had a line out the door: a cafe called Combi – and holy cow, that place changed my life.
They had organic, fair-trade coffee, butter coffee, options for coconut or almond milk, and turmeric latte.
When I saw the turmeric latte on the menu I did a double take… what?! Turmeric in a latte? I had never heard of it before, so I asked the barista and she told me it was like a chai latte but way better.
So I went for it with some coconut milk and WOW! Best thing ever. I came back two more times to get more. And the writing on the cup wasn’t kidding. I was in LOVE.
I was convinced I could make it back in the States. And in fact, when I posted about it to my friends on Facebook, some told me about golden milk. I had heard about it but never thought about having it as a latte. But since having it at Combi, I knew I had to create a latte recipe.
When I asked the barista about it, she told me the latte recipe included a dry spice mix of turmeric, cinnamon, and ginger with honey and milk. Sounds easy enough right? Well, you need just the right mix AND a special ingredient.
How to Make This Super Easy Turmeric Latte Recipe – Step By Step
Add all ingredients to a blender and puree for about 10-15 seconds.
Add to a stainless steel pot and warm turmeric latte on a low-medium heat until heated to your desired level of hotness (I like mine extra hot).
Remove from heat and pour into mugs.Use an electric milk frother to get a latte consistency.
Why This Latte Recipe is Good for You
Turmeric has a lot of health benefits – including decreasing inflammation, easing joint discomfort, curbing indigestion and heartburn, boosting immunity, protecting the heart and brain, and lowering cholesterol levels. Learn more about turmeric.
Black pepper can increase the bioavailability (rate of absorption) of turmeric by over 1000 times.
Super Easy Latte (Golden Milk)
This Turmeric Latte recipe is really simple to make. Milk is essential for this recipe (it can be cow’s milk, almond milk, cashew milk or your favorite nut milk). Turmeric is fat-soluble and absorbs into the body better with fats. Plus it’ll taste richer than just using water.
It takes a hot minute to prep, then heat for 5 mins – done!
Instant Turmeric Golden Milk Latte Mix (Make Ahead)
And if you want to make a Turmeric Latte dry mix that you can make ahead and use as needed, this is the recipe for you. Just scoop out 2 tbsp of the dry mix into a cup of water (which CAN be used here because coconut milk powder is in the dry mix).
Top Tips For This Turmeric Latte Recipe
- You can use coconut, almond or cashew milk, if you like!
- Opt for raw honey, if available to you, it’s not processed and retains more nutrients.
- Use an electric milk frother to get a lovely latte consistency.
- Add a pinch of ground pepper for an extra kick!
More Recipes You Might Like
- Vegan Strawberry Smoothie Recipe
- How to Make Homemade Almond Milk the Easy Way
- Strawberry Dark Chocolate Bark (Paleo, Gluten-Free + Vegan)
Did you try this Turmeric Latte Recipe? Don’t forget to rate the recipe and comment below to let me know how it went. You can also FOLLOW ME on Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest.
Super Easy Turmeric Latte Recipe (Golden Milk)
- 2 cups milk coconut milk, almond milk or cashew milk
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/3 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2-3 tsp raw honey sweeten to taste
- Pinch ground black pepper
- Add all ingredients to a blender and puree for about 10-15 seconds.
- Add to a stainless steel pot and warm turmeric latte on a low-medium heat until heated to your desired level of hotness (I like mine extra hot).
- Remove from heat and pour into mugs.Use an electric milk frother to get a latte consistency.
Turmeric Latte Dry Mix
- 1 1/2 cups coconut milk powder
- 4 tbsp turmeric powder
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp vanilla bean powder optional
- 1/4 tsp Himalayan salt
- Add all ingredients to a blender and puree for about 5-10 seconds. This will get rid of any lumps in the mix.
- Store in an airtight glass jar. Makes about 20-24 servings.
- When ready to use, scoop out 2 tbsp of the mix into a mug. Add 8-10 oz of hot water. Add natural sweetener of choice (raw honey, stevia, date sugar, etc.). 1-2 tsp per 8 oz mug is just about the right sweetness. Use an electric milk frother to get a latte consistency.
Photo credit: Bigstockphoto.com / Yulia von Eisenstein
FREE real food guide
Eat healthier in just 7 days with my real food guide and email course. You'll learn how easy it is to go gluten-free and still enjoy the foods that you love.
Is Tumeric a probiotic? I think it’s good for a healthy gut too? I love this recipe 🙂
susan frye says
At age 72 just beginning to try homemade healthy recipes.. Everything is so clear with a great format. Will save lots of $$! Easy to print. Thank you.