Forget buying those expensive face masks at the beauty supply or department store. Make your own natural DIY Honey Facial Masks with this tutorial. I’ve got 8 different masks you can make and customize for your skin type.
This post contains affiliate links. Please read my affiliate disclosure.
One of my favorite, all-purpose ingredients in my home is raw honey. I enjoy it in my morning cup of tea. I drink a warm glass of water with honey to quell a cough or sore throat. And, of course, I use it for all-natural skin care. Below are some great DIY Honey Facials Masks.
Honey on Your Face?
Yep. It’s amazing! It can be used as a face wash (just rub 1-2 teaspoons of raw honey on your face and let sit for a minute or two, and then rinse with a warm washcloth), zit zapper (just dab as needed on pimples), and facial masks.
Raw (unpasteurized) honey is chock full of antioxidants to help fight wrinkles and aging skin. In fact, Cleopatra was a huge fan of honey and used it regularly for her beauty routine.1
Honey is also a natural antibacterial, which helps to prevent and fight acne, purifier (gently unclogs pores), and moisturizer (draws moisture into the skin and leaves skin feeling soft).
8 DIY Honey Facial Mask Recipes with Essential Oils
1. Balancing Honey and Lavender
Mix one tablespoon of raw honey or Manuka honey (lots of antioxidants for the skin) with 2-3 drops of Lavender essential oil. Apply to face and let sit for 15-20 minutes. Use a warm washcloth to wipe off.
2. Radiant Honey and Lemon Facial Mask
Mix one tablespoon of raw honey or Manuka honey with 1-2 drops of Lemon essential oil. Apply to face and let sit for 15-20 minutes. Use a warm washcloth to wipe off. Be careful to avoid direct sun exposure within 24 hours of using the mask, as Lemon oil is photosensitive to the sun.
3. Hydrating Honey and Yogurt Facial Mask
4. Clarifying Honey and Patchouli Facial Mask
5. Moisturizing Honey and Avocado Facial Mask
6. Nourishing Honey and Oatmeal Facial Mask
7. Exfoliating Honey and Oatmeal Facial Mask
Mix one tablespoon of raw honey or Manuka honey, 1 tablespoon of uncooked oatmeal (I prefer to grind in a blender to a powder rather than use whole oats for a finer, gentler exfoliation). Apply to face and let sit for 15-20 minutes. Use a warm washcloth to wipe off.
8. Plain Honey Facial Mask
Want a super, simple facial mask? Just apply 1-2 tablespoons of raw honey or Manuka honey to face and let sit for 15-20 minutes. Use a warm washcloth to wipe off. It’s incredibly moisturizing and balances all skin types.
You can even try your own combination with ingredients in your kitchen.
The Best Essential Oils For DIY Skin Care
I have an entire guide dedicated to the best essential oils for skin care as they each offer different benefits and properties that can help transform your skin. Some of the reasons essential oils are used in DIY skin care include, helping fine lines and wrinkles, even out skin tone, improve clarity, brighten skin, give a youthful appearance, and even help to banish blemishes.
Some of the most common essential oils used in DIY skin care include:
Find out how to buy essential oils at wholesale, and get a starter kit for 60% off retail prices. It’s the best deal around and a great way to get started with essential oils.
How to Determine Your Skin Type at Home
Gently pat a blotting paper on the different areas of your face. Hold the sheet up to the light to determine how much oil is visible. If the sheet picked up little to no oil, you most likely have dry skin. If the blotting sheet reveals oil from the forehead and nose areas, your skin is normal/combination.
Top Tips for a DIY Honey Facial Mask
- Opt for raw honey, instead of processed honey.
- Leave your mask on for between 15-20 minutes.
- Before you apply your mask, be sure to cleanse your skin thoroughly. Using warm water and your favorite facial cleanser, remove any makeup, dirt, and oil. Do not apply moisturizer. Exfoliate.
- Use a face mask between 1 and 3 times a week, for best results.
How to Get Started with Essential Oils
- Sign up for my FREE essential oil email course in order to learn the basics.
- Check out my FREE masterclass all about essential oils and this beginner’s guide to essential oils.
- Get my essential oils online course – complete with video tutorials, e-book and everything you need to get started with essential oils.
- Find out how to buy essential oils at a huge discount + get an additional 10% off your first order with my coupon code. It’s the best deal around and a great way to get started with essential oils. Plus lots of freebies just for you.
More DIY Recipes You Might Like
Check out my book Natural Beauty Made Simple. It comes with 45 homemade skincare recipes with a set of printable labels and gift tags. You can download it instantly to your phone, computer or e-reader, so it’s portable and can go with you anywhere!
- Make your own organic beauty and skin care products for less than $25 a month!
- Learn simple techniques to make your own skincare – without the fuss of complicated recipes or hard-to-find ingredients
- Get tried-and-true recipes that work to nourish the skin and make it look more radiant than ever before
- Create beautiful gifts for friends and family with the printable labels and gift tags I’ve included with this book
Take a peek at what’s inside Natural Beauty Made Simple.
1. Tree Hugger
Photo credit: Bigstockphotos.com / okkijan