Want a quick facial at home? Gentle exfoliate your skin naturally with this easy DIY exfoliating facial scrub. It’s the easiest homemade skincare recipe ever, and it helps to remove blackheads, sloughs off dead skin cells and leaves skin looking radiant.
I remember not long ago picking up my favorite bottle of apricot facial scrub from the drugstore. It made my skin feel so smooth. Those little microbeads exfoliated and smoothed my skin.
Little did I know that those microbeads would actually be a huge environmental hazard. You see, those microbeads go down the sink and eventually end up in lakes, rivers and oceans and soak up environmental toxins like DDT and flame retardants. The fish end up eating it, and then it ends up in our food supply when we eat that seafood.
Pretty gross, right?
You can make a DIY exfoliating facial scrub at home for cheap and with just a couple of ingredients you probably already have in your kitchen.
How to Make This DIY Exfoliating Facial Scrub – Step By Step
Here’s a step-by-step tutorial on how to make this DIY Exfoliating Facial Scrub. You basically just just add essential oils to baking soda and keep it in an air-tight jar. My favorite essential oils to make this scrub is Lavender and Frankincense (both are available in my favorite starter set of oils). Both are really gentle for the skin and great for helping with skin tone and texture.
Other essential oils that you can use are Tea Tree, Geranium, Helichrysum, Rose and Ylang Ylang.
How to Use This DIY Exfoliating Facial Scrub
Ideally, use it 3-4 times a week. Start at 1-2 times a week and build up to every other day or so. This will help to keep your pores clean and clear. Make sure you wash your face before you use this facial scrub. Here’s my favorite DIY Facial Wash recipe.
When you’re ready to use this DIY Exfoliating Facial Scrub, use 1-2 tsp at a time and add water to make a paste. Lightly massage paste onto skin to gently exfoliate the face for a couple of minutes and rinse off. Rinse well with warm water.
Follow up with this DIY Facial Serum to lock in the moisture and deliver vitamin A and essential-fatty acids to the skin to make it glowing and supple.
Benefits of Baking Soda in This DIY Facial Scrub
Baking soda is not only a good exfoliator but also helps by slightly shrinking the size of your pores, thereby preventing dirt and other particulate matter from clogging them. The anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties of baking soda for skin further help reduce the re-occurrence of pimples and acne.
Lavender and Frankincense
This DIY facial scrub contains lavender and frankincense, two ingredients which are great for the skin.
Lavender oil for skin to help reduce redness, blotchy patches, and acne scarring. Lavender oil’s anti-inflammatory properties make it great for soothing and healing skin that’s irritated or reddened from the sun, insect bites, or bacteria.
Frankincense is a natural astringent, making it an amazing anti-aging oil because it can protect and regenerate healthy skin cells. It’s also used for fighting acne, preventing wrinkles, reducing large pores and tightening the skin to help reduce the signs of aging.
Top Tips for This Exfoliating Facial Scrub
- Use 3-4 times a week for best results.
- Wash your face before using the scrub.
- You can use different essential oils, find ones that are right for you.
More DIY Recipes You Might Like
- 8 DIY Honey Facial Masks
- How to Make DIY Lotion Bars
- 50+ Uses for Coconut Oil
- 13 DIY Facemask Recipes by Love + Marriage
- DIY Aloe Vera Face Mask by A Life Adjacent
DIY Beauty Recipes Book
Check out my book Natural Beauty Made Simple. It comes with 45 homemade skincare recipes with a set of printable labels and gift tags. You can download it instantly to your phone, computer or e-reader, so it’s portable and can go with you anywhere!
With this book, you’ll learn how to:
- Make your own organic beauty and skin care products for less than $25 a month!
- Learn simple techniques to make your own skincare – without the fuss of complicated recipes or hard-to-find ingredients
- Get tried-and-true recipes that work to nourish the skin and make it look more radiant than ever before
- Create beautiful gifts for friends and family with the printable labels and gift tags I’ve included with this book
DIY Facial Scrub
- Small glass jar
- Add baking soda to a small glass jar.
- Add essential oils to small jar. Mix well.
- Store in a cool, dry place.
- To use, scoop out 1-2 tsp at a time and add water to make a paste. Lightly massage paste onto skin to gently exfoliate the face for a couple of minutes and rinse off.
How to Use
- Use 1-2 tsp at a time and add water to make a paste.
- Lightly massage paste onto skin to gently exfoliate the face for a couple of minutes and rinse off.