It never fails. Right before that time of the month I get hormonal breakouts. They’re usually on my chin, but I’ll get the occasional zit on my forehead – especially when I’m stressed or don’t get enough sleep.
I’ve found that these homemade acne remedies work best in helping to prevent acne from starting, but sometimes the unavoidable happens.
I used to turn to traditional acne spot treatments with chemicals like benzoyl peroxide or salicylic acid. I thought I needed something harsh to get rid of the oil and dry out my pimples. Boy, was I wrong.
Oil is not the enemy when it comes to acne. In fact, oil is beneficial for the face. I’ve given up on traditional facial cleansers and now use the oil cleansing method (OCM) to “wash” my face at night. It was really tough for me to do this. I started once and gave up 3 weeks into it because I didn’t see any improvement. Then months later, I tried it again and WOW. It was worth sticking it through to about 5-6 weeks. I absolutely love the oil cleansing method now. Here’s a tutorial on the oil cleaning method and why it’s good for you. I also have a DIY face wash I use in the morning sometimes – or I just splash with water and follow with my DIY pH balancing toner.
But where’s what I learned from my oil cleaning method experiment: oil is good for the skin.
For me, I wanted a natural acne spot treatment. And after some experimenting I found the PERFECT zit zapper blend.
Acne-Fighting Essential Oils
- Melrose blend (Melaleuca, Niaouli, Rosemary, Clove) – natural germ killer
- Purification blend (Citronella, Lemongrass, Lavandin, Rosemary, Melaleuca, Myrtle) – astringent properties
- Thieves blend (Clove, Lemon, Cinnamon Bark, Eucalyptus, Rosemary) – natural germ killer
- Lavender - soothing to the skin
Natural Acne Spot Treatment with Essential Oils
- 4 drops Melrose blend
- 4 drops Purification blend
- 4 drops Thieves blend
- 4 drops Lavender
- About 1 tsp sweet almond oil (or other carrier oil)
- 5 ml glass bottle with plastic dropper and cap (or an empty 5 ml essential oil bottle – here’s a tutorial on how to clean and reuse essential oil bottles)
- Add essential oils to 5 ml glass bottle.
- Fill with sweet almond oil.
- Shake well and use as needed as a spot treatment for acne.
How to Get Started with Essential Oils
- Sign up for my FREE 14-day essential oil email newsletter to learn the basics.
- Join my Don’t Mess with Mama Essential Oils Facebook group to connect with others and share tips and recipes for DIY, beauty, cleaning and much more.
- Find out how to buy essential oils at wholesale, 24% off retail prices and get free sign-up goodies.
Photo credit: DepositPhotos.com / wavebreakmedia
PAID ENDORSEMENT DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog. Please see all my disclosures and disclaimers, including Amazon and other affiliate partners.
DISCLAIMER: The content on the blog Don’t Mess with Mama is for educational and informational purposes only, and is not intended as medical advice. I am not a medical professional and the information contained on this blog should not be used to diagnose, treat or prevent any disease or health illness. Please consult with a qualified health care professional before acting on any information presented here. Any statements or claims about the possible health benefits conferred by any foods or supplements have not been evaluated by the Food & Drug Administration and are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.