Enjoy the outdoors without the annoyance with this DIY Natural Outdoor Spray. It’s simple to make with just a few ingredients and without harsh chemicals.
There really aren’t many days where my family cannot spend outdoors and enjoy the sunshine. That’s just one of many reasons we love living in Southern California.
An Effective DIY Outdoor Spray
Spending so much time outdoors can mean little annoyances, you know those little pesky little bugs flying around. Rather than rely on outdoor sprays with chemical ingredients that are toxic to my family, I use this spray. It’s made with just a few simple ingredients that are safe and natural – as well as cheaper than store-bought alternatives. Plus, it works great so we don’t have to swat around protecting ourselves. We can just enjoy the outdoors.
I also personally love this DIY Natural Outdoor Spray because it smells amazing. I’ve used it after a long day of hiking, and it helped to protect my entire family naturally while keep odors at bay too.
How to Make This DIY Natural Outdoor Spray – Step by Step
2. Add 2 oz water.
3. Shake well and spray as needed around home, camper, outdoor furniture and space, etc. Use on skin as needed to keep those pests away.
You can adjust this recipe to make a smaller batch in a 1 oz or 2 oz spray bottle too.
Benefits of this Natural Outdoor Spray
The essential oils in this outdoor spray recipe is customizable. Start with either Purification or Citronella as the base as it’s most effective in keeping pests away, and then add either Thieves or Peppermint.
About the Ingredients
- Purification essential oil is a blend of citronella, lemongrass, lavandin, rosemary, melaleuca and myrtle essential oils. The Citronella essential oil in this blend is really effective in keeping bugs away naturally. You can also use Citronella in place of Purification.
- Thieves essential oil is a blend of cinnamon, clove, eucalyptus, rosemary and lemon. The clove in particular helps to keep those little annoyances in the outdoors at bay. You can also use Clove, Rosemary and Lemon in place of Thieves. I also like Peppermint as another option.
- Witch hazel helps to keep the water solution in this spray sanitized. You could omit if you plan to use the spray within a week. For use longer than a week, I would add the witch hazel or even use vodka.
Essential Oils That Help to Keep Pests Away
Here’s a list of essential oils you can use to make this DIY Natural Outdoor Spray. I prefer the oils listed in the recipe below as they help with most of those pesky little buggers.
- Purification blend
- Tea Tree
- Thieves blend
Find out how to buy essential oils at wholesale, and get a starter kit for 60% off retail prices. It’s the best deal around and a great way to get started with essential oils.
Are These Essential Oils Safe During Pregnancy and for Babies?
Definitely check with your doctor and refer to the Gentle Babies book. It’s a complete guide on how to use essential oils for babies and kids. But it’s always important to do your own research.
Generally, Cedarwood, Lavender, and Geranium are considered safe for pregnancy and for babies. So you can substitute these oils to make the spray instead. Try first with 3 drops each in a 4 oz spray bottle and see how you do and work you way up to 5-10 drops as needed.
Top Tips for this DIY Natural Bug Spray
- Shake well before use
- This is safe to be used on skin
- You can also use Clove, Rosemary and Lemon in place of Thieves. I also like Peppermint as another option
- Apply as often as you need it
More DIY Recipes You Might Like
DIY Natural Outdoor Spray
- Add witch hazel and essential oils to glass spray bottle.
- Fill with the bottle with distilled water.
- Shake well and spray as needed around home. This can be used on the skin as well to keep pests away.
Check out my book Natural Beauty Made Simple. It comes with 45 homemade skincare recipes with a set of printable labels and gift tags. You can download it instantly to your phone, computer or e-reader, so it’s portable and can go with you anywhere!
With this book, you’ll learn how to:
- Make your own organic beauty and skin care products for less than $25 a month!
- Learn simple techniques to make your own skincare – without the fuss of complicated recipes or hard-to-find ingredients
- Get tried-and-true recipes that work to nourish the skin and make it look more radiant than ever before
- Create beautiful gifts for friends and family with the printable labels and gift tags I’ve included with this book