These DIY Aromatherapy shower steamers are the perfect way to have a relaxing shower when there’s no time for a bath.
I love taking baths. But with a hectic schedule and three kids it’s not always possible. But I love to enjoy the benefits of a bath with these DIY Aromatherapy Shower Steamers. So how do they work?
I just put a shower disc on the far end of my bathtub while I’m taking a shower and let a little bit of water trickle on the disc to release the scent in the disc and voila! Shower aromatherapy.
What makes these DIY shower steamer discs so awesome is that you can mix and match the scents to customize your aromatherapy experience.
I love using Stress Away (because again three kids and a hectic schedule) but you can use eucalyptus (for a spa-like experience), lavender (to promote rest and relaxation), or even peppermint (to energize). There are so many possibilities. These are my favorite resources for getting essential oils.
I love making this homemade shower steamers because I know exactly what’s going into them. I’ve seen store-bought shower melts but found they contained artificial scents (which can actually cause respiratory issues), artificial colors (yuck!) and preservatives (aka toxic chemicals). I’m working to eliminate the toxic chemicals in my home to keep my family healthy.
What Are Shower Steamers?
If you prefer a shower to a bath, shower steamers are a great option. They’re made with baking soda and essential oils and work similar to bath bombs. But rather than placing them into a tub, the steamer is placed on the floor of the shower. The water activates the fizzing reaction and releases the essential oils into the air
How To Make DIY Aromatherapy Shower Steamers – Step By Step
- Preheat the oven to 350° F (180°C).
Spoon the paste into the silicone molds, press the mixture in, and smooth the tops off with your fingers.
Place the pan in the oven and bake the cubes for 20 minutes at 350° F.
Remove the tray from the oven and allow the cubes to cool completely. The tablets will continue to dry as they cool.
These DIY Aromatherapy Shower Steamers are really easy to make. Just combine the ingredients into a bowl and bake at low heat for 20 minutes. I’ve got the full recipe below.
The key is the essential oils. I really love Stress Away – it’s a blend that helps to melt the worries and just daily life (aka mom life) away. So when you take a shower it’s like spa aromatherapy without having to leave your home.
And I hope you’ll love these DIY shower steamers like I do. The kids can use them too – and you can make fun shapes with different silicone molds. How cute would these molds be… for little kids, for boys, for girls.
So let’s get into how to make these DIY Aromatherapy Shower Steamers…
How To Use These DIY Shower Steamers
Place a dried DIY shower steamer disc in the shower (in the far end of the shower stall or bathtub – away from the direct water stream). You can put a few drops of water on the shower steamer disc to get the aromatherapy going, but avoid direct water contact from the shower as it will melt away too fast. Breathe in the scent of the essential oil and enjoy!
How To Take a Really Relaxing Shower
Along with your shower steamer, you can make shower time a bit more special with some of these ideas:
- Play some soft, relaxing music.
- Turn down the lights and light some candles instead.
- Try hanging some lavender from the shower head.
- Try adding some live plants.
- Get out your fanciest towels!
- Consider transferring your bath products to pretty plastic containers.
Aromatherapy in Your Shower
Aromatherapy shower steamers are an awesome addition to your bathroom. But how do you know which oils to use? And for what purposes? Which ones wake you up or help you to fall asleep? Which ones are good for hormonal support or when you are sick? Below are some ideas to get you started!
Lavender or German Chamomile
When You are Sick
Eucalyptus + Peppermint, or Thieves
When You are Stressed
Clary Sage, Frankincense, Harmony, Stress Away, Peace and Calming, or Trauma Life
Clary Sage, Dragon Time, Geranium, Melrose or Ylang Ylang
Focus + Concentration Support
Brain Power, Clarity, Peppermint, Rosemary
After Yoga or a Massage
Awaken, Frankincense, Lemongrass, Palo Santo, Patchouli, Sandalwood
Top Tips For Aromatherapy Shower Steamers
- Place the steamer at the far end of your shower, so it doesn’t melt too quickly.
- Allow cubes to cool before use.
- Use silicon molds, they will allow you to remove the steamers with crumbling them.
- These shower steamers will store for up to 6 months in a cool, dark cabinet.
How to Make DIY Aromatherapy Shower Steamers
- Preheat the oven to 350° F (180°C).
- Spoon the paste into the silicone molds, press the mixture in, and smooth the tops off with your fingers.
- Place the pan in the oven and bake the cubes for 20 minutes at 350° F.
- Remove the tray from the oven and allow the cubes to cool completely. The tablets will continue to dry as they cool.
Check out my book Natural Beauty Made Simple. It comes with 45 homemade skincare recipes with a set of printable labels and gift tags. You can download it instantly to your phone, computer or e-reader, so it’s portable and can go with you anywhere!
With this book, you’ll learn how to:
- Make your own organic beauty and skin care products for less than $25 a month!
- Learn simple techniques to make your own skincare – without the fuss of complicated recipes or hard-to-find ingredients
- Get tried-and-true recipes that work to nourish the skin and make it look more radiant than ever before
- Create beautiful gifts for friends and family with the printable labels and gift tags I’ve included with this book