I’ve had nearly all the signs of a whacked out metabolism. Exhaustion, poor digestion, mood swings, PMS and other hormonal imbalances, etc. I didn’t know what to call it. I summed it up to parenting stress or just the life of a mother with an infant. And yet, I always knew there was something else going on.
I just read Elizabeth Walling’s The Nourished Metabolism, and it’s been such an eye-opener for me. I’ve now learned that these signs are actually that of someone with a stressed metabolism.
Signs of a Stressed Metabolism
- Subnormal body temperature
- Mood swings
- Inability to handle stress
- Dry skin, dandruff, brittle nails, psoriasis, eczema, etc.
- Poor digestion, constipation, diarrhea, allergies
- Erratic sleep patterns, insomnia, trouble falling or staying asleep
- Exhaustion, alternating between wired and tired
- Blood sugar crashes
- PMS, irregular menstrual cycles, low sex drive and other signs of hormonal imbalance
Signs of a Nourished Metabolism
- Normal body temperature
- Level moods
- Handle stress well
- Healthy hair, skin and nails
- Excellent digestion and normal bowel movements
- Good sleep patters
- Consistent energy
- Steady blood sugar
- Balanced hormones and a healthy sex drive
The Nourished Metabolism – An Introduction
Metabolism isn’t something I’ve really thought about before – except when I drone on to my family and friends that my metabolism isn’t the same as when I was a teenager and able to eat a lot more food without putting on the weight. Yet, metabolism is so much more. In Walling’s book, I learned that metabolism is how the body converts energy – and more than just about how much weight I gain or lose. It’s all about how my body and my organs depend on that energy to function properly.
I’ve also learned from the book that there are a number of things that can stress my metabolism – including stress (no brainer there), exercise, sleep and food.
Except the part about food was shocking. The conventional wisdom we’ve all heard – eat a low-fat diet, avoid saturated fats, limit salt intake, etc. – might actually be damaging our body and metabolism rather than nourishing it. Say what?
Yup, it’s true. Plus, some of us might actually be exercising too much. (Well, maybe not me, but some of you might be). You’ll learn about all this and a lot more – including the role of sleep, allergens, toxins and sun exposure play on metabolism.
I especially loved the chapter about digestion in The Nourished Metabolism. So many people today are dealing with digestion issues, such as acid reflux (even babies have acid reflux), constipation, diarrhea and irritable bowel syndrome (IBS). These are all signs of poor gut health – and these can lead to other issues such as a stressed metabolism, food allergies, skin conditions, autoimmune disorders and more.
My husband had been battling poor gut health for years without even knowing it – while I have been dealing with acne. Both of us had poor gut health – and you guessed it we both had symptoms of a stressed metabolism.
I could go on an on about this book. It really has been such an eye-opener. If you have the signs of a stressed metabolism, I highly suggest getting The Nourished Metabolism. As mentioned earlier, Walling debunks common misconceptions about the role of food, exercise and stress on the metabolism as well as provides detailed information about how to heal the gut and nourish the metabolism.
The Nourished Metabolism: What’s Inside?
The Nourished Metabolism is available by digital download and includes more than 120 pages of thorough information. I promise you’ll learn a lot about your metabolism and why it might be stressed.
Here’s just a sample of what you’ll learn:
- Why you need a nourished metabolism
- Stress: The metabolism killer
- Dieting: The ultimate metabolic stressor
- Digestion: The energy gateway
- A balanced plan for eating
- Salt, sugar and water myths
- Supplements vs. superfoods
- Why you need better sleep (and how to get it)
- Smart and balanced exercise
- Biofeedback: It’s what your body has to say
- Metabolism and weight
Try The Nourished Metabolism for yourself. It’s only $28.98 and you get it instantly via download. There’s even a 30-day money back guarantee. And if you subscribe to Living the Nourished Life (Walling’s blog) email newsletter, you’ll receive the ebook Emotional Eating Myths and Solutions for free.
Want to read The Nourished Metabolism? Two lucky Don’t Mess with Mama reader swill win it (a $28.98 value). Open to US and Canada readers. Giveaway is now closed.
How to enter the giveaway:
- Sign up for the Don’t Mess with Mama email newsletter. You must be signed up to be eligible to win, but you can unsubscribe at any time. Don’t worry, I will not share, rent, sell or otherwise give out your email address to any third party. Your email address is solely used for sending out news and updates from the Don’t Mess with Mama blog.
- Enter using Rafflecopter below.
Image credit: wavebreakmediamicro / 123RF Stock Photo
PAID ENDORSEMENT DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog. Please see all my disclosures and disclaimers, including Amazon and other affiliate partners.