I just made a batch of my delicious Paleo Peanut Butter Cups. They were all gone in a matter of hours because everyone in my family loves them – including my kids and my husband.
But then I started thinking about how I could modify the recipe to make something with chocolate and peppermint – kind of like a copycat recipe for Peppermint Patties, a Halloween favorite in my house. I experimented a bit with a coconut-based creamy center for these chocolate snacks, and I got it!
This Paleo Chocolate Peppermint Patties Recipe will satisfy your sweet tooth (without being overly sweet) and the coconut-peppermint center… YUM! So delicious and the perfect complement with the chocolate shell. Best of all, there’s no refined sugar, artificial colors, preservatives or other junk. It’s all natural and sweetened with raw honey.
These gluten-free, grain-free and Paleo snacks are perfect after dinner or a mid-day snack without the guilt.
And if you’re in a rush for time, try my Chocolate Peppermint Coconut Oil Fat Bombs – they are a simplified version of this recipe (they don’t have the layered look) and tastes like candy – yet, it helps to increase metabolism and curb cravings. They are amazing!
Where to Get Kitchen Pantry Essentials
I get my other baking supplies like baking soda, baking powder, vanilla extract, etc. either on Amazon or my local health food store usually. But then I got a Thrive membership. If you don’t already have one – it’s awesome! It’s like Whole Foods meets Costco. Organic vanilla extract, for instance, is about $5 at my local health food store and $5.30 on Amazon. But it’s only $3.95 (YES!) on Thrive Market. Great deal right? And the raw honey?! Don’t even get me started how much that costs at the health food store. But on Thrive Market it’s just $5.45 for a 10.5 oz jar of raw honey.
Sign up for a Thrive Market membership and get an extra 20% off your first 3 orders!
- 1/2 cup organic extra virgin coconut oil (if solid, warm up so it’s soft)
- 1/8 to 1/4 cup raw honey
- 1 tsp organic vanilla extract
- 4-6 drops Peppermint essential oils (where to buy)
- 1 cup mini gluten-free chocolate chips
- Combine all ingredients except the chocolate chips in a medium-sized bowl and stir until well mixed.
- Melt the chocolate chips in a double boiler until it turns into a thick liquid.
- Line a mini muffin pan with 15 cupcake or silicone liners.
- Fill each cupcake liner with about 1 teaspoon of melted chocolate to coat the bottom. Put cupcake pan in the freezer for about 5 minutes to let the chocolate solidify.
- Remove from freezer then scoop about 1 tablespoon of the coconut/peppermint mixture into each liner. Put the muffin pan in the freezer for 5 minutes to let it solidify.
- Remove from freezer and top with the remaining melted chocolate.
- Return to the freezer for about 10-15 minutes to let it solidify.
- When ready to serve, take out of the refrigerator and remove the cupcake liner. You’ll have that gorgeous indentation mark from the liner.
- Keep in the refrigerator or freezer when not serving since the chocolate may melt again – especially if it’s hot.
p.s. Looking for tips to transition to a real food or healthy gluten-free lifestyle? Check out my free Real Food Guide email course and e-book.