Ditch the tear-free baby soaps at the store. They’re filled with chemicals and preservatives. Make your own DIY Homemade Natural Baby Shampoo and Wash.
Did you know that many commercial baby wash and baby shampoo products contain toxic chemicals? Yep, it’s true. These chemicals include artificial colors, synthetic fragrances and preservatives that can irritate your baby’s skin and may be linked to more serious health issues.
Here’s an ingredient list of a very popular brand of tear-free baby wash and shampoo:
Water, Cocamidopropyl Betaine (coconut oil-based surfactant), PEG-80 Sorbitan Laurate (chemical surfactant), Sodium Trideceth Sulfate (foaming agent surfactant), PEG-150 Distearate (surfactant), Glycerin (moisturizer), Polyquaternium-10 (anti-static agent), Tetrasodium EDTA (chelating agent), Sodium Chloride (salt), Citric Acid, Sodium Hydroxide (pH adjuster), Sodium Benzoate (preservative), Ethylhexylglycerin (skin conditioning agent), Phenoxyethanol, Parfum (synthetic fragrance that could contain dozens of chemicals to make up the scent).
So let me ask you: Would you want to put ALL of this on your baby’s skin? No way!
But many natural baby shampoo and baby wash products aren’t much better. Preservatives and synthetic fragrances are still found in them.
And organic baby wash products can cost a fortune. I used to pay about $14 for an 8.5 oz bottle of a popular brand of organic baby shampoo. I remember adding water to the bottle to make it last longer because it was so expensive.
Luckily, I found out a way to make a Homemade Natural Baby Shampoo and Baby Wash with just a few ingredients and WAY cheaper than anything you’ll buy at the store.
Ingredients in This Baby Shampoo
About the Ingredients
- Liquid castile soap is a coconut-based soap that is non-toxic and non-irritating to the skin. It’s gentle enough to use on baby’s skin, yet great for cleaning skin naturally.
- Vegetable glycerin is a natural moisturizer and gives this baby wash a thicker consistency that will lather well.
- Carrier oils such as almond oil, fractionated coconut oil, or jojoba oil help to naturally moisturize skin.
- Aloe vera gel helps to moisturize and soothe skin.
- Essential oils provide a natural, non-toxic fragrance and help to soothe skin. I only use Young Living essential oils (where to buy) for my baby. These are therapeutic-grade, organic essential oils.
How to Make This Homemade Baby Shampoo and Baby Wash
Ready to learn how to make your own Natural Homemade Baby Wash and Baby Shampoo? Check out this easy recipe and tutorial.
1. In a 16 oz pump bottle, add 1.5 cups castile soap.
2. Add 4 tbsp vegetable glycerin.
3. Add 1-2 tsp almond oil (or your favorite carrier oil), 10 drops essential oils and 1 tsp aloe vera juice.
4. Add 1-2 tbsp water or fill to the to with room to fit the lid and pump. Screw on lid securely and shake vigorously for a few seconds.
How to Use This DIY Baby Shampoo and Body Wash
Use a few pumps on wet skin or wet hair. Gently wash and be careful not to get into the eyes. While this is a gentle formula suitable for babies and kids, it’s not tear free. If shampoo gets into eyes, use a wet washcloth or rinse with water.
How to Get Started with Essential Oils
- Sign up for my FREE essential oil email course in order to learn the basics.
- Find out how to buy essential oils at wholesale, and get a starter kit for 60% off retail prices.
More DIY Recipes You Might Like
- Homemade Bath Bombs
- DIY Aromatherapy Shower Steamers
- DIY Hair Detangler Spray (with a Printable Label)
Check out my book Natural Beauty Made Simple. It comes with 45 homemade skincare recipes with a set of printable labels and gift tags. You can download it instantly to your phone, computer or e-reader, so it’s portable and can go with you anywhere!
With this book, you’ll learn how to:
- Make your own organic beauty and skin care products for less than $25 a month!
- Learn simple techniques to make your own skincare – without the fuss of complicated recipes or hard-to-find ingredients
- Get tried-and-true recipes that work to nourish the skin and make it look more radiant than ever before
- Create beautiful gifts for friends and family with the printable labels and gift tags I’ve included with this book
- In a 16 oz pump bottle, add castile soap, vegetable glycerin, carrier oil, essential oils and aloe vera juice.
- Top with distilled or filtered water.
- Replace lid securely and shake vigorously for a few seconds.
- Use as needed.
FREE DIY Beauty Book
Get glowing skin and learn how to make your own DIY beauty products with simple ingredients from your kitchen. Plus, get my 7-day essential oils course to get gorgeous skin from the inside out.