Ditch the tear-free baby soaps at the store. They’re filled with chemicals and preservatives. Make your own DIY Homemade Natural Baby Shampoo and Wash.
Did you know that many commercial baby wash and baby shampoo products contain toxic chemicals? Yep, it’s true. These chemicals include artificial colors, synthetic fragrances and preservatives that can irritate your baby’s skin and may be linked to more serious health issues.
Here’s an ingredient list of a very popular brand of tear-free baby wash and shampoo:
Water, Cocamidopropyl Betaine (coconut oil-based surfactant), PEG-80 Sorbitan Laurate (chemical surfactant), Sodium Trideceth Sulfate (foaming agent surfactant), PEG-150 Distearate (surfactant), Glycerin (moisturizer), Polyquaternium-10 (anti-static agent), Tetrasodium EDTA (chelating agent), Sodium Chloride (salt), Citric Acid, Sodium Hydroxide (pH adjuster), Sodium Benzoate (preservative), Ethylhexylglycerin (skin conditioning agent), Phenoxyethanol, Parfum (synthetic fragrance that could contain dozens of chemicals to make up the scent).
So let me ask you: Would you want to put ALL of this on your baby’s skin? No way!
But many natural baby shampoo and baby wash products aren’t much better. Preservatives and synthetic fragrances are still found in them.
And organic baby wash products can cost a fortune. I used to pay about $14 for an 8.5 oz bottle of a popular brand of organic baby shampoo. I remember adding water to the bottle to make it last longer because it was so expensive.
Luckily, I found out a way to make a Homemade Natural Baby Shampoo and Baby Wash with just a few ingredients and WAY cheaper than anything you’ll buy at the store.
How to Make This Homemade Baby Shampoo and Baby Wash
About the Ingredients
- Liquid castile soap is a coconut-based soap that is non-toxic and non-irritating to the skin. It’s gentle enough to use on baby’s skin, yet great for cleaning skin naturally.
- Vegetable glycerin is a natural moisturizer and gives this baby wash a thicker consistency that will lather well.
- Carrier oils such as almond oil, fractionated coconut oil, or jojoba oil help to naturally moisturize skin.
- Aloe vera gel helps to moisturize and soothe skin.
- Essential oils provide a natural, non-toxic fragrance and help to soothe skin. I only use Young Living essential oils (where to buy) for my baby. These are therapeutic-grade, organic essential oils.
Ready to learn how to make your own Natural Homemade Baby Wash and Baby Shampoo? Check out this easy recipe and tutorial.
- In a 16 oz pump bottle, add castile soap, vegetable glycerin, carrier oil, essential oils and aloe vera juice.
- Top with distilled or filtered water.
- Replace lid securely and shake vigorously for a few seconds.
- Use as needed.
More DIY Recipes
Did you try this Homemade Natural Baby Shampoo? Don’t forget to rate the recipe and comment below to let me know how it went. You can also FOLLOW ME on Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest to catch up with me.
FREE DIY Beauty Book
Get glowing skin and learn how to make your own DIY beauty products with simple ingredients from your kitchen. Plus, get my 7-day essential oils course to get gorgeous skin from the inside out.