These Instant Pot Bacon Gruyere Egg Bites are just like the Starbucks favorite but without the preservatives. Not only are they a protein-packed treat, but they are also an easy, low-carb breakfast idea on the go thanks to this Instant Pot recipe.
Why Make These Egg Bites?
While grabbing breakfast with your takeout coffee may seem like a time-saving hack, the dollars soon add up, not to mention the calories. By making these bacon gruyere egg bites at home in the Instant Pot, you can enjoy the flavors of your Starbucks staple but have control of the ingredients.
This means you can say no to nasties and instead opt for raw or organic cheese, nitrate-free bacon, and pasture-raised eggs. These small tweaks will make an even more delicious alternative to the light and fluffy egg bites you know and love.
With each morish mouthful, you may not realize that these bacon gruyere egg bites are gluten-free, low carb, high protein, and Keto-friendly. Not to mention, it’s super easy to make in under 30 minutes.
What is an Instant Pot?
The Instant Pot is a 7-in-1 Multi-Functional Cooker. This means this one piece of kitchen kit replaces the role of many including a pressure cooker, slow cooker, rice cooker, saute/browning, yogurt maker, steamer and warmer.
It also has a stainless steel cooking pot and a steam rack which is essential for these bacon gruyere egg bites. I have gotten rid of my old slow cooker and yogurt maker because I can do it all with the Instant Pot.
Equipment to Make These Egg Bites
Starbucks make their egg bites in a sous vide machine, however, there are a few items you can buy which can replicate this function without the fancy machinery. Starting with the kitchen staples – an Instant Pot and blender.
Both of these time-saving tools are essential in achieving super creamy egg bites to rival your Starbucks fave. They also make batch cooking super easy so you can whip up enough to keep the whole family going for the week.
Then, to achieve that perfectly portioned bite-sized shape, you will need a silicone mold. I find this egg bites silicone mold works best as it also comes with a lid that avoids you having to cover your egg bites with aluminum foil – maximizing flavor and minimizing waste.
In order to achieve that signature light and fluffy texture, the egg bites are steamed inside the Instant Pot. This means a trivet is required, allowing the silicone mold to sit on top of the water underneath.
Instant Pot Bacon Gruyere Egg Bites – Step By Step
- Gather all your ingredients together.
2. Prepare the Instant Pot by adding a cup of water, followed by the trivet/steam rack. Next add all the ingredients to a blender, except the bacon. Blend until smooth.
3. Pour the egg bites batter into the mold, filling halfway. Top with the bacon and secure the silicon mold lid.
4. Carefully lower into the instant pot. Close and set the valve to sealing. Program using the “manual” or “pressure cook” function for 10 minutes. When the cooking cycle is complete, allow the pressure to naturally release for 10 minutes before performing a quick release to remove the remaining pressure.
5. Carefully remove the silicone mold. The egg bites will have puffed up but will deflate slowly as they cool. Pop the egg bites from the silicone mold and serve immediately or they will keep in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Can I Make These Egg Bites Vegetarian?
If you want a vegetarian version of these Starbucks egg bites, skip the bacon and replace it with a veggie favorite. Why not try a tasty combo such as roasted red pepper and spinach or olive and sun-dried tomatoes.
Can I Use Different Cheese?
Yes, you can use a different cheese like sharp cheddar, jalapeño jack cheese, Colby cheese, provolone cheese, or any cheese that you prefer. You can even omit the cheese altogether. The cottage cheese does give this recipe a creamy flavor so keep that in.
Is There an Egg White Only Version of This Recipe?
In order to not waste yolks, this recipe uses the entire egg however if you are looking to cut down on cholesterol and calories an egg white version is super easy. Simply remove the yolks before blending the ingredients as normal. Ideally use double the egg white – so for 14 egg bites instead of 8 whole eggs, use 16 egg whites.
Are These Egg Bites Freezer Friendly?
One of the main reasons these egg bites are perfect for busy mornings is because they can be made ahead of time and frozen. Freeze the egg bites on a baking sheet then transfer them to an airtight container. They will keep for up to 3 months in the freezer. For a grab-and-go breakfast in seconds, simply reheat in the microwave.
Try These Flavor Combinations
If you have tried the Starbucks Sous Vide Egg bites, you will know how irresistibly creamy they are. However, they are limited to only a few flavors, whereas with homemade egg bites you can customize them with your family’s favorite flavors to suit all tastes.
That way you know they are headed out the door after a healthy breakfast instead of sugary cereal and you won’t need to grab a tempting chocolate muffin on the way to work.
Alongside bacon and gruyere, try customizing your egg bites with these ingredients:
- Veggies: bell peppers, broccoli, spinach, green onions or mushrooms
- Cheese: feta, parmesan, Swiss or cheddar
- Meat: Sausage, ham, turkey, or chicken
- Other: Olives, chiles, or sundried tomatoes
Top Tips for Making This Egg Bites Recipe
- If reheating in the microwave, be careful not to overcook as they will lose the light & fluffy texture. Use 50% power for 60-90 seconds.
- This recipe is perfect for batch cooking. Simply double the ingredients and stack the silicone molds in the instant pot.
- For best results, do not skip the cottage cheese, or substitute it with fat-free. It is essential for that signature taste and texture.
- No add-ins? No problem. These egg bites still taste great with just eggs, cottage cheese, salt & pepper.
More Instant Pot Breakfast Recipes
- 25+ Gluten-Free Instant Pot Breakfast Recipes
- Gluten-Free Instant Pot Oatmeal
- 25 Gluten-Free Instant Pot Recipes Kids Will Love
Instant Pot Bacon Gruyere Egg Bites
- Instant Pot
- Egg bites silicone mold and lids
- Add 1 cup water and the trivet to the instant pot.
- Place all ingredients except the bacon into a blender. Blend until the batter is smooth.
- Pour batter into the egg bites mold around half way. Top each one with bacon.
- Cover the mold with the lid and carefully lower into theinstant pot.
- Close the instant pot and set the valve to sealing. Program using the “manual” or “pressure cook” function for 10 minutes. When the cooking cycle is complete, allow the pressure to naturally release for 10 minutes before performing a quick release to remove the remaining pressure.
- Carefully remove the silicone mold. The egg bites will have puffed up but will deflate slowly as they cool. Pop the egg bites from the silicone mold and serve immediately.
Instant Pot Recipes Made Simple
Are you struggling to find the time to cook healthy meals for your family? Do you wish you could find one-pot meals that are simple and easy to make… and your family will love?
Learn how simple it is to make healthy, one-pot meals with your Instant Pot with my cookbook. You can download Instant Pot Recipes Made Simple instantly to your phone, computer or e-reader, so it’s portable and can go with you anywhere!
With this book, you’ll get:
- Tried-and-true recipes the whole family will love – including pot roast, spaghetti, tacos, carnitas, soups, and easy breakfast meals
- Instant Pot starter guide on how to use the buttons, tips and tricks, and more
- Printable shopping lists for ingredients
- Step-by-step video lesson on how to use your Instant Pot, pressure cooker safety, and some of my favorite tips and tricks
- Two-week meal plan that you can put into action for no-stress weeknight dinners
FREE real food guide
Eat healthier in just 7 days with my real food guide and email course. You'll learn how easy it is to go gluten-free and still enjoy the foods that you love.