Learn how to make gluten free tortillas. This easy recipe makes gluten free tortillas that are pliable – perfect for burritos and other Mexican meals.
One thing I missed since becoming gluten-free are flour tortillas. I love the way flour tortillas can be molded without breaking for foods like tacos and burritos. And sometimes I get tired of using corn tortillas all the time and rice flour tortillas aren’t as pliable.
I was experimenting with my mother-in-law in the kitchen, and she helped me come up with this amazing recipe. It took a few rounds, but we got it. The result: a tasty, gluten free tortilla recipe that’s easy to mold for various dishes. These gluten free tortillas are great for gluten free Mexican dishes or kid-friendly gluten free meals.
How To Make Gluten Free Tortillas
Where to Get Kitchen Pantry Essentials
Did you try these gluten free tortillas? Don’t forget to rate the recipe and comment below to let me know how it went. You can also FOLLOW ME on Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest to see what other fun things I’m getting up to.
- Combine all dry ingredients and butter in a food processor or standing mixer. Blend well until butter is thoroughly mixed in.
- Slowly add water until the dough turns into a firm ball. (You may need a little extra water to get the right consistency.)
- Remove dough from mixer. Divide dough into 10 mini dough balls. Let it rest for about 15-20 min.
- Preheat cast iron skillet to medium heat.
- Use tortilla press to flatten out each mini dough ball.
- I usually find a tortilla press doesn’t get my tortillas as thin as I like them so I roll them out for just a bit more using a rolling pin. Be sure to dust a cutting board or clean surface like a countertop with all-purpose gluten-free flour before your roll out your tortilla. Roll out dough so it’s about 5 to 6 inches in diameter.
- Cook tortillas in the cast iron skillet for about 1 to 2 min on each side. I like it to have a couple of brown, cooked spots. Repeat for all mini dough balls.
- Set tortillas aside. You can start using them right away, or you can put them in an airtight container in the frig (no more than 3 to 4 days otherwise they get dried out) or freezer. Reheat them for later use over medium heat for just a minute or so on each side.
FREE real food guide
Eat healthier in just 7 days with my real food guide and email course. You'll learn how easy it is to go gluten-free and still enjoy the foods that you love.