Got an Instant Pot? Checkout this helpful guide on how to clean an Instant Pot with tutorials for first-time users and tips for cleaning after each use.
Now that you’ve got your Instant Pot or electric pressure cooker, it’s time to learn how to clean it before using it for the first time and after each use. This handy guide will walk you through each step and answer common questions about cleaning the Instant Pot.
Before You Start Cleaning
Every Instant Pot is unique. While these cleaning guidelines are going to work for most Instant Pot models, refer back to the Instant Pot website or manual for specific instructions on how to clean your Instant Pot.
What Parts of the Instant Pot Can Be Cleaned?
The inner pot and steam rack can be used in a dishwasher. Although there are no electric parts for the lid, it is not dishwasher safe. The lid has loose parts, such as the steam handle release, and crevices like the gasket and sealing ring, so it’s best to hand-wash the lid instead. You can gently take apart the steam handle to clean out food particles.
The outside of the Instant Pot unit can be cleaned with a rag or paper towel and a gentle household cleaner. If you find that bits of onion or spices get stuck on the lid fin slot (where the lid is closed on the Instant Pot) and the cooker handle, just wipe it down with a natural household cleaner like Thieves Household Cleaner. Avoid harsh chemical cleaners as the Instant Pot is used to cook food.
Is the Instant Pot Dishwasher Safe?
Yes, the sealing ring, lid, and steam rack can all be put into the dishwasher, as well as the inner pot of the Instant Pot. You might want to hand-wash the lid as it does have pieces that can come out in the dishwasher, like the steam handle release and float valve.
You may also be able to put accessories such as springform pans, steamer baskets, pot-in-pot pans, etc. in the dishwasher but be sure to check the product manual for those accessories.
Can the Instant Pot Be Hand-Washed?
Yes, the sealing ring, lid, steam rack and inner pot can all be hand-washed. Use a natural hand soap and clean all the parts and allow to dry on a dish rack.
How to Clean Your Instant Pot Before the First Use
If it’s your first time using your Instant Pot, make sure you clean it thoroughly before cooking any food. Here are step by step directions on how to clean the Instant Pot before the first use.
- Clean the sealing ring, lid, steam rack, and inner pot with dish soap and water, or put in the dishwasher. Allow the parts to air dry or use a towel to dry.
- Be sure the inner pot is completely dry before turning the Instant Pot on. You don’t want the inner pot to be wet on the cooking element.
- Wipe down the inside and outside of the Instant Pot unit (with the inner pot out) with a natural household cleaner (just a spritz or two – not soaked) and a microfiber towel.
- Put the inner pot back in. The Instant Pot is now ready for its first use.
How to Clean the Instant Pot After Each Use
After you have finished making your delicious Instant Pot meal that your family will love, you will want to make sure that you clean your Instant Pot properly. Here is a step-by-step guide to help make it easier.
- Unplug your Instant Pot and make sure it’s cooled to room temperature.
- Remove the inner pots, lids, and accessories and put them in the dishwasher.
- Wipe the inner cooker base rim and slot using a dry cloth to prevent rusting.
- Remove the sealing ring and anti-block shield and wash it with warm soapy water.
- Rinse with water and wipe dry.
- Clean the outside of the Instant Pot using a damp cloth or a sponge.
- Make sure your steam release valve and float are free of debris.
More Instant Pot Tips
- 10 Instant Pot Tips and Tricks You Need to Know
- How to Use the Buttons on the Instant Pot
- Top 10 Instant Pot Accessories You Need
Instant Pot Recipes Made Simple
Do you wish you could find one-pot meals that are simple and easy to make… and your family will love?
You’re about to find out how simple it is to make healthy, one-pot meals with your Instant Pot or electric pressure cooker with my cookbook Instant Pot Recipes Made Simple. You can download it instantly to your phone, computer or e-reader, so it’s portable and can go with you anywhere!
With this book, you’ll get:
- Tried-and-true recipes the whole family will love – including pot roast, spaghetti, tacos, carnitas, soups, and easy breakfast meals
- Instant Pot starter guide on how to use the buttons, tips and tricks, and more
- Printable shopping lists for ingredients
- Step-by-step video lesson on how to use your Instant Pot, pressure cooker safety, and some of my favorite tips and tricks
- Two-week meal plan that you can put into action for no-stress weeknight dinners
FREE real food guide
Eat healthier in just 7 days with my real food guide and email course. You'll learn how easy it is to go gluten-free and still enjoy the foods that you love.