Are your kids whiny, frustrated or just plain too tired to calm down? Try these DIY Blends of Calming Essential Oils. It can help to tame tantrums and prevent meltdowns with calming and soothing essential oils. Plus, I’ve included an easy dilution ratio chart to help you use exactly the right amount of essential oils for your child.
Ever have one of those days? A long day filled with playdates, birthday parties, trekking across town and just overall hurried and a bit crazy. It’s no surprise that meltdowns and tantrums start up around dinner time with all the busyness. By then, usually you’re just as tired and cranky as the kids.
But there are solutions. First, consider simplifying your day to cut down on the busyness. Kids thrive on simplicity. Even when they want to go to all the activities, it’s helpful to teach them to choose one thing they really want to do to keep from feeling overwhelmed. Read 8 Reasons Why Kids Need Minimalism and 15 Ways to Live More Simply for more ideas.
Then, consider making a calming essential oil blend to help the kids settle down peacefully (before the tantrums and meltdowns start) and help to promote a restful sleep (as well as a good morning the following day).
Essential Oils for Calming
There are so many essential oils that work well for calming and keeping kids peaceful. These are just some of my favorites.
- Lavender – for promoting relaxation and sleep
- Cedarwood – for relaxation, sleep and focus
- Frankincense – for mood support, emotional grounding
- Vetiver – for relaxation and focus
- Black Spruce – for emotional grounding
- Roman Chamomile – for relaxation and sleep
- Peace & Calming (oil blend made with Ylang Ylang, Orange, Tangerine, Patchouli and Blue Tansy) – for relaxation and chilling out
- Valor (oil blend made with Black Spruce, Blue Tansy, Camphor Wood, Geranium and Frankincense) – for emotional grounding, confidence, feeling at ease
- Tranquil (oil blend made with Lavender, Cedarwood, Roman Chamomile) – for relaxation, it’s like a liquid chill pill, sleep
Find out how you can get these oils for 24% off or a starter kit for 60% off retail prices.
How to Make This Calming Essential Oils Blend – Step by Step
- Add 2 drops Lavender, 2 drops Cedarwood, andn 2 drops Vetiver to an empty 10 ml bottle.
- Fill the bottle with a carrier oil.
- Place the plastic dropper back on the bottle and then screw on the cap.
- Shake well. Now it’s ready for use.
This recipe calls for 10 ml of carrier oil, so I’m going to help you convert this so you can easily see how much essential oils to add. If you’re in doubt, please talk to a health care provider and do your own research.
10 ml carrier oil = 2 tsp
For example, if you choose to add Vetiver, Cedarwood and Lavender to your DIY Calming Oil Blend and want to use it for a 5 year old child, then use a 2% dilution – which is 4 drops TOTAL (perhaps 2 drops Lavender, 1 drop Cedarwood and 1 drop Vetiver) in 10 ml carrier oil (as this recipe calls for).
- Ages 12+ and adults – 5% dilution ratio (10 drops essential oil in 10 ml roller bottle)
- Ages 8-12 – 3% dilution ratio (6 drops essential oil in 10 ml roller bottle)
- Kids 5-7 – 2% dilution ratio (4 drops essential oil in 10 ml roller bottle)
- Kids 3-4 – 1% dilution ratio (2 drops essential oil in 10 ml roller bottle)
- Babies and kids under 2 – refer to the Gentle Babies book by Debra Rayburn for details. I’ve used the 1% dilution ration for my 18 month old and it worked great but refer to the book for more information.
Testing Essential Oils
Although essential oils do not contain allergens, it’s important to take your time when introducing your child to essential oils. Starting with one essential oil at a time can help you more easily determine how your child will react to the oil.
You can test your kid’s reaction by applying 1 drop of essential oil mixed with 4 drops of carrier oil to his or her skin (for example inner arm). If your kid develops an allergic reaction over the next couple of hours, it might mean he is sensitive to that essential oil.
How to Use This DIY Calming Essential Oils Blend
Rub the roller bottle to the back of the neck, bottom of feet, and let the child roll a bit in the hands rub together and then inhale the scent. This will help the child to enjoy both aromatherapy (from inhaling the oils from the palm of the hands) and topical usage. Use 3-4 times a day or as needed.
A little really goes a long way when it comes to essential oils. For instance, you may only need 1 drop of essential oil mixed with 10 ml (2 tsp) of carrier oil for use on babies ages 0-1.
An easy rule of thumb is about 1 drop per year of age in a 10 ml roller bottle (up to 10 drops for 12+ years). 10 drops in a 10 ml roller bottle with carrier oil is a 5% dilution.
Carrier oils help to dilute essential oils for better absorption, to use on a larger surface area like the back, and to dilute oils that may feel hot to the touch. Always dilute essential oils for use on kids. Here’s more information on carrier oils.
Top Tips for Using This Calming Essential Oil Blends For Kids
- Different essential oils work for different kids. Try this calming blend recipe, and over time try out different essential oils mentioned above. You may find a different combination works better.
- Essential oils are highly concentrated, so dilute with a carrier oil as noted above in the safety guidelines.
- Apply this blend to the feet, back of the neck and temples. Use a small amount to start – 1-2 rolls over the skin.
How to Get Started with Essential Oils
- Sign up for my FREE essential oil email course in order to learn the basics.
- Check out my FREE masterclass all about essential oils and this beginner’s guide to essential oils.
- Get my essential oils online course – complete with video tutorials, e-book and everything you need to get started with essential oils.
- Find out how to buy essential oils at wholesale, and get a starter kit for 60% off retail prices. It’s the best deal around and a great way to get started with essential oils. Plus lots of freebies just for you.
More DIY Recipes You Might Like
- 15 Best Essential Oils for Focus and Concentration
- 8 Best Essential Oils for Kids + DIY Recipes
- 7 Best Essential Oils for Babies + DIY Recipes
DIY Calming Essential Oil Blend
- 2 drops Lavender essential oil
- 2 drops Cedarwood essential oil
- 2 drops Vetiver essential oil
- 10 ml Sweet almond oil
- 10 ml glass roller bottle
- Add all essential oils to an empty 10 ml bottle.
- Fill the bottle with a carrier oil.Place the plastic dropper back on the bottle and then screw on the cap.
- Shake well. Now it’s ready for use.
Photo credit: Bigstockphoto.com / famveldman
FREE DIY Beauty Book
Get glowing skin and learn how to make your own DIY beauty products with simple ingredients from your kitchen. Plus, get my 7-day essential oils course to get gorgeous skin from the inside out.
What can I use instead of Cedarwood? I have found Cedarwood isn’t that good of a smell. 😂 With some other issues.
Tracey Black says
Try adding Lavender and Cedarwood together. The Lavender really helps with the scent. 😉
My grandson is SUPER active and so benefit from this blend! could this be used as a spray in addition to the other methods? If so, how would I mix this this and with what? Thank you so much for your recipes!
Tracey Black says
Try the lavender, cedarwood, vetiver blend first and see how he does for a week or two. Then work in the other oil blends to see how he does.
Can you put this in a diffuser or would you leave out the carrier oil and just put the drops of essential oil into the water in the diffuser?
Tracey Black says
Yes, exactly. You can put in the diffuser without the carrier oils and get the same benefit. In fact, it may work better for you than topical. Give it a try.