Pumpkin spice season is upon us but forget the store-bought sugar-filled stuff and make your own pumpkin pie spice blend in just 5 minutes using a few common spices.
This pumpkin pie spice is perfect for your favorite fall recipes. Sprinkle on cookies, bake with breads or pop into pies for a delicious seasonal twist. Best of all this recipe requires only 5 ingredients allowing you to avoid the artificial nasties that many pumpkin-spiced treats contain. Not to mention it’s much cheaper to make using spices already in your pantry.
About the Ingredients
Spoiler alert, pumpkin pie spice doesn’t actually contain pumpkin. Instead, it is a blend of spices that brings out the best flavors when paired with pumpkin. It is a combination of 5 spices that include ginger, allspice, cinnamon, clove, and nutmeg. Feel free to tweak the quantities to your tastes for example if you’re a sucker for cinnamon add more in, but beware with strong spices such as nutmeg which can easily become overpowering.
Homemade Pumpkin Pie Spice Step-by-Step
- Place all five spices in a bowl
2. Whisk together to combine
3. Add to a jar for storage – don’t forget to label and add the date.
How To Use This Pumpkin Pie Spice
This spice blend is perfect for your favorite fall recipes. For example, if you fancy whipping up a batch of my low-carb pumpkin cookies with cream cheese frosting or the family favorite chocolate chip pumpkin muffins.
This will vary depending on the recipe, however, as a general rule, you can use it as a 1 to 1 substitute for the store-bought variety.
Store it in your usual spice rack or pantry. In an airtight container in a cool, dry place this spice blend can last up to 3 years but always check the dates of the ground spices used to be sure.
Pumpkin Pie Spice Tips
- It’s essential that all of the individual spices are still good. To test, give them a smell. Avoid using any that have lost their scent or don’t smell quite right and replace with new.
- Add a fall twist to any baking recipe that uses cinnamon by replacing it with this pumpkin pie spice instead
- This recipe also makes a perfect gift. Add a cute ribbon or gift tag to a jar and share the pumpkin-spiced magic with neighbors and friends.
More Fall Recipes You Might Like
Homemade Pumpkin Pie Spice
- Mixing bowl
- Glass storage jar
- 4 tsp Ground Ginger
- 4 tsp Ground Allspice
- 4 tbsp Ground Cinnamon
- 2 tsp Ground Cloves
- 2 tsp Ground Nutmeg
- Place all spices in a bowl
- Whisk together to combine
- Add to a glass jar for storage. Don’t forget to label and add the date.
Want More Recipes?
Check out my new book, Gluten-Free, Real Food Recipes for Kids.
I wrote this book with YOU in mind. Parents who want to provide kids with wholesome meals without artificial colors, preservatives and other additives.
All the recipes are gluten-free – with many options for grain free or Paleo, dairy free, egg free and vegetarian.
What’s Included In This Book
It’s filled with 130+ pages of content and recipes, including:
- Real food nutrition 101
- Detailed information on how to properly soak and sprout nuts, beans, grains and seeds
- A guide on how to spot chemical additives and what to avoid
- Kitchen essentials and cooking tools
- Tips on how to get kids to become better eaters and help in the kitchen
- 70+ gluten-free recipes – such as snacks and appetizers, beverages, condiments and dressings, main meals, desserts and more
FREE real food guide
Eat healthier in just 7 days with my real food guide and email course. You'll learn how easy it is to go gluten-free and still enjoy the foods that you love.