Conventional potato chips are cooked in vegetable oils, which are heavily refined and have GMOs. Try this recipe for homemade potato chips with coconut oil. They’re so easy to make and taste delicious!
Salty and crunchy. That’s my favorite snack combination. And that’s why my snack weakness is potato chips. Ever since I was a kid, I have loved snacking on potato chips – especially kettle chips.
Homemade Potato Chips Make A Great Healthy Snack
While it’s easy to avoid the artificial flavors and preservatives in potato chips by opting for plain or natural brand chips, it’s pretty much IMPOSSIBLE to find potato chips cooked in healthy oils like coconut or lard.
Most commercial chips are cooked in canola, cottonseed, safflower or vegetable oils. These oils are usually sourced from GMO corn and other sources that may contain pesticides and have been heavily refined.
Make your own potato chips using healthy coconut oil instead. Coconut oil gives these chips a crispy texture without the coconut flavor. You could also try avocado oil too. These are fantastic as part of a healthy gluten-free lunch box for kids.
How to Make Homemade Potato Chips
Potato chips are actually really easy to make. The trick is to soak the use a mandolin or vegetable spiral slicer to thinly slice the potatoes. Then be sure to soak the sliced potatoes in a bowl of water with salt for 10-15 minutes. This helps to remove the excess moisture from the potatoes, which means crispier chips.
Be sure to get the cooking pan hot too. I prefer cast iron myself as it heats evenly.
Homemade Potato Chips Recipe
- 2 large organic sweet potatoes
- 2 tsp Celtic sea salt
- 1 cup organic coconut oil expeller-expressed
- Use a mandolin or vegetable spiral slicer to thinly slice potatoes.
- Soak sliced potatoes in a large bowl of water and 1 tsp of salt for 10-15 minutes. This helps to remove the excess moisture from the potatoes – helping it to crisp better.
- Drain and pat dry potatoes to remove water.
- Heat a large skillet to medium. Add coconut oil. Don’t let oil overheat or burn.
- Once oil is heated, cook 1/2 cup of potatoes at a time.
- Cook on both sides until crispy, then set aside on a wire rack to cool down.
- Repeat until all potato chips are cooked.
- Once cooled down, sprinkle with sea salt to taste.
Equipment & Tools
How to Enjoy These Potato Chips
You can keep it simple and sprinkle with salt. You can serve them with fresh-cut vegetables and this Easy Onion Dip, which makes the chips taste a bit like sour cream and onion chips.
I also like to toss them with herbs like chopped rosemary and a drizzle of olive oil.
Want More Recipes?
Check out my new book, Gluten-Free, Real Food Recipes for Kids. I wrote this book with YOU in mind. Parents who want to provide kids with wholesome meals without artificial colors, preservatives and other additives. All the recipes are gluten-free – with many options for grain free or Paleo, dairy free, egg free and vegetarian.
What’s Included In This Book
It’s filled with 130+ pages of content and recipes, including:
- Real food nutrition 101
- Detailed information on how to properly soak and sprout nuts, beans, grains and seeds
- A guide on how to spot chemical additives and what to avoid
- Kitchen essentials and cooking tools
- Tips on how to get kids to become better eaters and help in the kitchen
- 70+ gluten-free recipes – such as snacks and appetizers, beverages, condiments and dressings, main meals, desserts and more
More Recipes You Might Like
Did you try these homemade potato chips with coconut oil? Don’t forget to rate the recipe and comment below to let me know how it went. You can also FOLLOW ME on Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest to see what other fun things I’m getting up to.
Photo credit: Bigstockphotos.com / larik_malasha
FREE real food guide
Eat healthier in just 7 days with my real food guide and email course. You'll learn how easy it is to go gluten-free and still enjoy the foods that you love.
You got me with coconut oil, yes we also makes chips with coconut oil. That potato chips are crispy and yum.
Love these potato chips! It’s such a treat to enjoy warm chips with hamburgers instead of French fries. The coconut oil adds a nice healthy touch.
Simple, delicious and highly addictive! Thanks for another great recipe we will use over and over.
What a fun way to enjoy potatoes. Homemade chips are so delicious. Coconut oil is the perfect oil for healthy cooking too.