The onion soup mix packets at the store are full of additives and hidden MSG. Try this healthy Homemade Onion Soup Mix and Easy Onion Dip recipe instead.
Ah, onion dip. There’s nothing better than eating potato or root chips with a bit of onion dip. Well, maybe these homemade potato chips. But I digress.
I used to buy onion soup mixes in little packets from the grocery store. I’d rip open the packet and stir in with sour cream, and then voila: the easiest dip ever.
Then, one day I stopped to look at the ingredients and researched what all the terms meant. I was horrified to see all the preservatives and hidden MSG.
Here’s the ingredient list for a popular brand of onion soup mix:
Onion, Salt, Hydrolyzed Corn Gluten, Soy Protein, Wheat Gluten, Dextrose, Yeast Extract, Corn Maltodextrin and Spices
Let’s break it down:
- Onion – likely GMO sourced
- Salt – likely low-quality table salt
- Hydrolyzed corn gluten – this is essentially glutamic acid, which is a type of MSG.1
- Soy protein – apart from containing soy (likely GMO sourced), it also processed free glutamic acid or MSG.2
- Wheat gluten – contains gluten
- Dextrose – suspected of containing or creating sufficient processed free glutamic acid to serve as MSG-reaction triggers in highly sensitive people people.2
- Yeast extract – this is processed free glutamic acid or MSG.2
- Corn Maltodextrin – likely GMO sourced
- Spices – who knows what’s in “spices”. There could, in fact, be an ingredient derived from gluten.
There are at least 9 ingredients in that dip (who knows how many are in “spices”) and at least 4 of the ingredients are hidden sources of MSG – even though it isn’t properly labeled to show that. Scary stuff.
Is this what you want to feed your family? You don’t have to resort to using processed dip packets to make French Onion Dip. You don’t even have to buy the pre-made French Onion Dip in grocery stores – which also have a bunch of artificial ingredients, MSG and preservatives.
You CAN make your own. I’ll show you how.
Where to Get Kitchen Pantry Essentials
p.s. Looking for tips to transition to a real food or healthy gluten-free lifestyle? Check out my free Real Food Guide email course and e-book.
Did you try this homemade onion soup mix and easy onion dip? Don’t forget to rate the recipe and comment below to let me know how it went. You can also FOLLOW ME on Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest to see what other fun things I’m getting up to.
- All of the above
- 16 oz organic or raw sour cream full fat
- In a mixing bowl, add all dry ingredients.
- Store in an air-tight container and use as needed.
- Add sour cream to dry mix ingredients until mixed well.
- Wait 5-10 minutes for dip to settle, and then serve.
FREE real food guide
Eat healthier in just 7 days with my real food guide and email course. You'll learn how easy it is to go gluten-free and still enjoy the foods that you love.