Save money and ditch the chemicals found in store-bought hand cleaners. Learn how to make your own Homemade Hand Cleaner with this super simple recipe to keep dirty hands clean on the go.
This time of year, it’s easy to spot bottles of hand cleaners or wipes everywhere you go – the grocery store, the doctor’s office, even at indoor gyms and playgrounds.
While it’s commendable to keep hands clean, conventional hand cleaners have a lot of toxic chemicals (such ethanol-based alcohol, fragrances, propylene glycol, tocopheryl acetate, etc.) in them to clean hands. Think about putting that on your child’s hand.
Or worse yet, think about when a small child licks his hand and inadvertently ingests the chemicals in those hand cleaners. There have been a number of kids who are admitted to emergency rooms due to poisoning from hand cleaners. That’s some scary stuff.
But there is a way to naturally clean hands without the harsh, toxic chemicals with essential oils. I make this homemade hand cleaner to use on the go. I love to use Thieves essential oil or Tea Tree essential oil to make my own homemade hand cleaner. I use this spray to clean hands – as well as surfaces like public toilet seats, door handles, and even restaurant tables. I keep it in my purse to use as needed. And when I’m at home I use my DIY foaming hand soap recipe to naturally clean hands.
Ingredients in This Homemade Hand Cleaner Spray
About the Ingredients
- Thieves essential oil is a blend of cinnamon, clove, eucalyptus, rosemary and lemon essential oils. It’s very effective in cleaning and getting out dirt and grime. Tea Tree essential oil can be used in place of Thieves. Check out 10 Uses for Thieves Essential Oil.
- Witch hazel or vodka is used in this recipe to sanitize the water and help to extend the shelf life of this hand cleaner spray to about 4-6 weeks. They also help to sanitize hands – which is great after a trip to the bathroom.
How to Make This Homemade Hand Cleaner Spray
1. In a small spray bottle (2 or 4 oz), add 10 drops of Thieves essential oil.
2. Add 2 tbsp witch hazel or vodka. This helps to extend the shelf life of this hand cleaner spray.
3. Fill with water and shake well.
How to Use This Homemade Hand Cleaner Spray
Spray hands generously with this hand cleaner spray, then rub hands together to clean. Repeat as needed. This spray helps to remove dirt, grime, and keep hands clean before and after eating or even after a trip to the bathroom.
This hand cleaner spray is safe for kids, ages 1 year and up. For ideas on a hand cleaner spray to use for younger children check out 7 Best Essential Oils for Babies + DIY Recipes You Need.
You can even use this spray to clean surfaces on the go – like toilet seats, table tops, etc. It’s a great option when you need to clean but don’t have cleaning supplies on the go.
How to Get Started with Essential Oils
- Sign up for my FREE essential oil email course in order to learn the basics.
- Check out my FREE online webinars all about essential oils and this beginner’s guide to essential oils.
- Get my essential oils online course – complete with video tutorials, e-book and everything you need to get started with essential oils.
- Find out how to buy essential oils at wholesale, and get a starter kit for 60% off retail prices. It’s the best deal around and a great way to get started with essential oils. Plus lots of freebies just for you!
More DIY Recipes You Might Like
- Homemade Bath Bombs
- DIY Aromatherapy Shower Steamers
- DIY Hair Detangler Spray (with a Printable Label)
Check out my book Natural Beauty Made Simple. It comes with 45 homemade skincare recipes with a set of printable labels and gift tags. You can download it instantly to your phone, computer or e-reader, so it’s portable and can go with you anywhere!
With this book, you’ll learn how to:
- Make your own organic beauty and skin care products for less than $25 a month!
- Learn simple techniques to make your own skincare – without the fuss of complicated recipes or hard-to-find ingredients
- Get tried-and-true recipes that work to nourish the skin and make it look more radiant than ever before
- Create beautiful gifts for friends and family with the printable labels and gift tags I’ve included with this book
Easy DIY and safe hand cleaner spray. This spray is great for carrying around in your handbag or having in the home plus it contains no nasty chemicals.
Add 10 drops of essential oil to 2-4 oz spray bottle.
Add 2 tbsp witch hazel or vodka. This helps to extend the shelf life of the hand cleaner spray.
Fill with water and shake well.
Photo credit: Shutterstock / July Prokopiv
FREE DIY Beauty Book
Get glowing skin and learn how to make your own DIY beauty products with simple ingredients from your kitchen. Plus, get my 7-day essential oils course to get gorgeous skin from the inside out.