Halloween and healthy are two words rarely associated together but this spider deviled eggs recipe is the perfect appetizer for your spooky gathering or a fun afternoon snack for fall.
When it comes to Halloween party food, it can be an overwhelm of artificial ingredients and additives. That is why these spider deviled eggs will be a spooktacular addition to your celebrations this fall as they are easy to make using a few simple ingredients. Black olive spiders add a creepy-crawly twist to this protein-packed snack that the whole family will love.
What are Deviled Eggs?
Deviled eggs or devilled eggs, are also referred to as stuffed eggs, dressed eggs, or Russian eggs. Generally, they are hard-boiled eggs that are peeled, sliced in half and stuffed with a tasty filling using the egg yolks. The deviled refers to the spice which is added to the filling such as paprika, cayenne, or Tabasco.
In traditional deviled eggs the filling is made using mayonnaise and mustard but this recipe replaces mayo for cream cheese and uses chicken for a protein punch.
How to Make Perfect Boiled Eggs
A crucial step in making the best spider deviled eggs, is starting with perfectly boiled eggs. This is the most effective method to avoid that unsightly green tinge around the yolk:
- Place eggs in a single layer in a saucepan
- Fill with water, covering the eggs in about 1.5 inches of water.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon of salt to the water to prevent cracking as well as making the eggs easier to peel.
- Turn heat on high & bring the water to a full rolling boil, cover and turn off the heat.
- Keep the pan on the hot burner and let sit for 10-12 minutes.
- Then cool quickly under cold running water or ideally submerge in iced water to make them easy to peel.
How to Make Spider Deviled Eggs Step-by-Step
- Following the method above, boil eggs allow to cool and peel. Cut in half and remove yolks.
2. Add the yolks, cream cheese, and chicken breast to a bowl. Grind with a hand blender and add salt, pepper, and paprika.
3. Fill the egg whites with the yolk paste. This is best done with a teaspoon or piping bag if you want to be extra neat.
4. For the spiders, cut an olive in half – use one half as the body and slice the remaining half to make the spider legs. Alternatively, for added flavor, the spider legs can be made from red onions.
5. Top the eggs with the olive pieces to create the spider. Not forgetting a spider has 8 legs not 6.
How Long Do Spider Deviled Eggs Keep?
You can make these deviled eggs up to 24 hours in advance and store in the refrigerator. If you have any leftovers, tightly cover and store in the refrigerator for up to four days. Do not freeze them as they will turn into a mushy mess which really will scare your party guests.
How to Level Up Your Deviled Eggs
Although spooning in the yolk mixture is perfectly fine for a kids’ Halloween party, you may want to level up your deviled eggs if entertaining adults. To make deviled eggs extra pretty use a star-tipped piping bag and pipe the yolk filling into the egg whites. Alternatively, for a DIY piping bag, cut off the corner of a Ziploc bag.
There are several ways to jazz up the egg yolk filling. A few variations to try include:
- Hot sauce
- Chopped gherkins
- Smoked salmon
In addition, you could use 1/3 cup mayonnaise and 1 tsp mustard instead of cream cheese. Adjust the mayo and mustard to your taste.
Tips For The Best Spider Deviled Eggs
- It’s easier to use a pair of tweezers to add the legs and eyes to the spider’s body
- Once boiled immediately add your eggs to iced water, this will make them easy to peel
- Depending on your family’s tastes herbs such as dill and tarragon also work great in this deviled eggs recipe
More Fall Recipes You Might Like
- Gluten-Free Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Natural Pumpkin Preserve Spray
- Low-Carb Pumpkin Cookies with Cream Cheese Frosting
Halloween Spider Deviled Eggs
- Boil eggs allow to cool then peel. Cut in half and remove yolks.
- Add the yolks, cream cheese and chicken breast to a bowl. Grind with a hand blender and add salt, pepper and paprika.
- Fill the egg whites with the yolk paste. This is best done with a teaspoon or piping bag if you want to be extra neat.
- For the spiders, cut an olive in half – use one half as the body and slice the remaining half to make the spider legs. Alternatively, for added flavor the spider legs can be made from red onions.
- Add the olive pieces to create a spider – not forgetting a spider has 8 legs not 6!
Want More Recipes?
Check out my new book, Gluten-Free, Real Food Recipes for Kids.
I wrote this book with YOU in mind. Parents who want to provide kids with wholesome meals without artificial colors, preservatives and other additives.
All the recipes are gluten-free – with many options for grain free or Paleo, dairy free, egg free and vegetarian.
What’s Included In This Book
It’s filled with 130+ pages of content and recipes, including:
- Real food nutrition 101
- Detailed information on how to properly soak and sprout nuts, beans, grains and seeds
- A guide on how to spot chemical additives and what to avoid
- Kitchen essentials and cooking tools
- Tips on how to get kids to become better eaters and help in the kitchen
- 70+ gluten-free recipes – such as snacks and appetizers, beverages, condiments and dressings, main meals, desserts and more
FREE real food guide
Eat healthier in just 7 days with my real food guide and email course. You'll learn how easy it is to go gluten-free and still enjoy the foods that you love.