When you’re on a Paleo diet, pizza and bread are probably the two biggest foods you miss most. I cheat since I’m technically not on Paleo, but my husband has to adhere to it for health reasons. He was so desperate for good ‘ole pizza, but we never found a great dough recipe… until now.
If you haven’t picked up the book The Joy of Gluten-Free, Sugar-Free Baking by Peter Reinhart and Denene Wallace – you really need it. This cookbook is full of delicious recipes that are perfect for those on gluten-free and Paleo diets.
This recipe is from the book, but we made a few modifications to suit our tastes. We eliminated the eggs from the original recipe since my husband is allergic to it. Also, the original called for 1 cup of sunflower seed flour (just blend sunflower seeds to a powder) and 1/2 cup of almond flour – but we found that mixture to be too strong in sunflower. We reversed the measurement and liked the results better.
Adjust baking time accordingly. You can even make these pizza crusts ahead of time and save them in the freezer for a quick pizza meal later. And for those on a stricter Paleo, I bet Parmesan would work really well with this.
Where to Get Kitchen Pantry Essentials
I get my other kitchen pantry supplies like sea salt, black pepper, spices, coconut oil, and other essentials either on Amazon or my local health food store usually. But then I got a Thrive membership. If you don’t already have one – it’s awesome! It’s like Whole Foods meets Costco. Bob’s Red Mill baking soda, for instance, is about $3 at my local health food store and $6 on Amazon. But it’s only $2.03 (YES!) on Thrive Market. Great deal right? And the raw honey?! Don’t even get me started how much that costs at the health food store. But on Thrive Market it’s just $5.45 for a 10.5 oz jar of raw honey.
Sign up for a Thrive Market membership and get an extra 20% off your first 3 orders!
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup sunflower seed flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup water or chicken stock
- 2 egg whites (optional – original recipe calls for it but we omitted it)
- Pre-heat oven to 325 degrees.
- Combine all dry ingrediens in a bowl. Add cheese.
- Combine all wet ingredients in large bowl and whisk until blended well.
- Slowly add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and stir for a few minutes until the dough is thick.
- Once the dough is ready, put it in the pizza pan and start pressing it out evenly to fit the pan. You might need a little olive oil on your fingers to keep the dough from sticking to you. Make sure there are no air pockets in the dough.
- Bake for 15-20 min or until slightly brown at the edges.
- You can then top with tomato sauce or olive oil and add your favorite toppings. Bake for an additional 6-8 min.
Get a copy of my e-book 10 Beauty Hacks from Your Kitchen + my essential oils email course for FREE!
In my email course, you'll learn the basics of essential oils, how to use them, and easy DIY recipes you can make to save money!