Need a quick and easy grain-free holiday cookie recipe? Check out these Grain Free Chocolate Peppermint Cookies. These cookies are also Paleo, refined sugar free and can easily be made vegan (just swap out the egg for a vegan egg replacer).
Back by reader demand! I had this recipe under construction for a while, and got so many requests to put it back up so here it is for you! It’s the perfect holiday cookie without the guilt… lower in carb, grain free, refine sugar free, and so yummy.
I used to love the Peppermint Joe-Joe’s at Trader Joe’s (like peppermint Oreos but without as much of the junk). But since going gluten-free we haven’t found anything in store. So we made our own gluten free chocolate cookie recipe with candy cane bits and WOW! They are yummy. My kids loved eating these and requested we leave these out for Santa on Christmas Eve.
Now I tried a batch with whole cane sugar and it came out well too, but I will say the honey gave it a deeper, molasses-like flavor and the texture was a bit chewier. These cookies are pure bliss and make a wonderful DIY food gift for family and friends – just pack them in wide-mouth Mason glass jars for a rustic look.
How to Make These Grain-Free Chocolate Cookies
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a cookie sheet with butter or use parchment paper on the cookie sheet.
- Combine 1 cup of creamy almond butter, 1/2 cup raw honey, 1 egg, 1/4 tsp salt, 1 tsp baking soda, 1 tsp vanilla extract, and 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder in a bowl. Mix well. Optional: Add 1/4 cup crushed peppermint candy (save 1 tbsp to sprinkle on top of the cookies).
- Form tablespoon-sized balls and pat down to about 1/4-inch thickness on cookie sheet. Optional: Sprinkle a little peppermint candy on top of the cookies.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until the center is done. Let cool and enjoy.
Can you use other additions in this recipe? Yes! Crushed up peppermint candy makes it so delicious but there are other things you can substitute:
- 1/4 cup crushed nuts like pecans or walnuts
- 1/4 tsp peppermint extract or 3 drops peppermint essential oil (this in the only brand I recommend)
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
More Recipes You Might Like
These Chocolate Peppermint Cookies are delicious and guilt free. They're grain-free, Paleo, refined sugar free and can easily be made vegan (just swap out the egg for a vegan egg replacer).
- 1/4 cup all-natural peppermint candy crushed
Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
Grease cookie sheet with butter or put parchment paper on cookie sheet.
Combine all ingredients in a large mixing bowl and mix well. Optional: Add 1/4 cup crushed candy canes.
Form tablespoon-sized balls and pat down to about 1/4-inch thickness. Lay out on cookie sheet.
Bake for 8-10 min. Let cool and enjoy.
Photo credit: Bigstockphoto.com / Julia Mikhaylova
FREE DIY Beauty Book
Get glowing skin and learn how to make your own DIY beauty products with simple ingredients from your kitchen. Plus, get my 7-day essential oils course to get gorgeous skin from the inside out.