These Gluten Free Ice Cream Sandwich Cookies are perfect on a warm summer day. Or let’s face it, these delicious treats are perfect to enjoy any time of year – even in winter (as long as you’re snuggled someplace warm).
With organic and natural ingredients, this gluten free ice cream sandwich cookie recipe is sugar free (there are options to use sugar if you like) and include healthy coconut oil and pasture-raised eggs. These cookies are easy to make ahead and enjoy anytime.
Where to Get Kitchen Pantry Essentials
I get my other kitchen pantry supplies like sea salt, black pepper, spices, coconut oil, and other essentials either on Amazon or my local health food store usually. But then I got a Thrive membership. If you don’t already have one – it’s awesome! It’s like Whole Foods meets Costco. Bob’s Red Mill baking soda, for instance, is about $3 at my local health food store and $6 on Amazon. But it’s only $2.03 (YES!) on Thrive Market. Great deal right? And the raw honey?! Don’t even get me started how much that costs at the health food store. But on Thrive Market it’s just $5.45 for a 10.5 oz jar of raw honey.
Sign up for a Thrive Market membership and get an extra 20% off your first 3 orders!
- 2 cups all-purpose gluten free flour
- 2/3 cup organic cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup organic coconut sugar (or organic sucanat or organic brown sugar)
- 1/4 cup organic raw honey (or organic cane sugar)
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 3 tbsp organic butter, melted and cooled
- 1/2 cup organic extra virgin coconut oil
- 2 large pasture-raised or organic eggs
- 2 tsp organic vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cup organic or natural ice cream
- Pre-heat oven to 325 degrees.
- Mix all dry ingredients together.
- Add remaining ingredients until dough is well mixed.
- Divide the dough into 2 portions. Place on parchment paper, and roll into to 1/4 inch thickness. Place in freezer for 10 minutes.
- Remove dough from freezer. Cut into large circles using a 3-inch round cookie cutter or cup.
- Place cut-outs 1 inch apart on baking sheets.
- Bake 8 minutes total. Rotate pans once while baking.
- When done, let cool in the pan for 5 minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- When cookies are cooled down, scoop about 1/4 cup ice cream in the middle of a cookie. Flatten ice cream and then top with another cookie. Gently press together. Serve immediately or store in freezer to enjoy anytime.
Equipment and Tools
p.s. Looking for tips to transition to a real food or healthy gluten-free lifestyle? Check out my free Real Food Guide email course and e-book.
Subscribe to the Don't Mess with Mama weekly email newsletter to get all this and much more!
- Latest DIY tutorials
- Natural health tips
- Real food recipes, including Paleo and gluten free
- Everyday ways you can live a more natural lifestyle
- Exclusive deals just for subscribers
And get a copy of my e-book, Real Food Guide: 5 Real Foods You Need in Your Diet.