Tacos for breakfast? Oh yes! These Gluten-Free Breakfast Tacos + Burritos are so simple to make and delicious. The base recipe is the same and you can simply adapt to make them as breakfast tacos or breakfast burritos.
This post contains affiliate links. Please read my affiliate disclosure.
It wasn’t until I moved to California that I even know about breakfast burritos. And let me tell you… they’re huge! They’re usually filled with scrambled eggs, breakfast potatoes, avocados (of course), and salsa. They’re the perfect thing to eat after a surf session. That’s why California breakfast burritos are so popular with the surf crowd.
But it was actually in Austin, Texas that I actually had my first breakfast tacos. They’re really popular there. You can even get breakfast tacos at the Austin airport. They’re pretty similar to breakfast burritos but served on smaller corn tortillas. I love them both so I wanted to show you how to make both of them.
How to Make the Best Breakfast Tacos + Breakfast Burritos
The secret to these breakfast tacos and breakfast burritos recipes is the eggs. Be sure to saute onions and garlic along with the eggs for the scramble. Give a bit of salt and pepper and then set aside. You could easily make the eggs that star of this dish and then top with salsa and avocados and call it a day. It’s a simple dish.
But if you want to add more fixings you can easily do that. Fixings such as bacon, ham, hash browns or breakfast potatoes, mushrooms, bell peppers, etc. should be pre-cooked and ready to use to assemble the tacos and burritos. I like cook bacon in the oven along with breakfast potatoes or hash browns on a separate pan at the same time, while I’m getting the eggs ready for these tacos and burritos.
Ingredients like fresh herbs, spring mix salad, tomatoes, avocados, chopped onions and shredded cheese should be served ready to use. It takes just a couple of minutes to prep and get these ingredients ready and served up in small dishes for my family to build their own tacos at breakfast.
For the breakfast tacos, heat up the corn tortillas on the stove. Bonus points if you have a gas stove so you can give the tortillas a bit of a char. Then you can start assembling the tacos. Start with the eggs, then add the fixings that you want.
For the breakfast burritos, get a large skillet and put on low-medium heat. On a gluten-free flour tortilla, add the eggs and fixings in the middle and then roll it up. Add to the skillet and let the tortilla heat up and melt the cheese on the inside of the burrito. A favorite combination in our family is eggs, avocados, hash browns and cheese. It’s our take on a homemade California breakfast burrito.
What to Serve with These Gluten-Free Breakfast Tacos + Breakfast Burritos?
I love to serve up these Instant Pot Refried Beans along with some salsa and fresh avocado slices to enjoy with these breakfast tacos and burritos. It’s a great option if you want to make vegan breakfast tacos. Just use refried beans in place of the eggs and assemble with your favorite fixings like avocados, onions, and tomatoes.
In addition, I like to have a fixings bar so my family can add their favorite toppings to their tacos, such as sliced red onions, sliced jalapenos, shredded cheese, crumbled bacon, breakfast potatoes or hash browns, cubed tomatoes, and fresh cilantro.
A breakfast taco bar is perfect when you’ve got a big crowd to feed – like when you’ve got family visiting, sleepover, or even a sports team after a morning game. But these breakfast tacos and burritos are so easy to make and customize when you’ve got the ingredients all ready to assemble.
More Recipes You Might Like
- Gluten-Free Mini Quiche Muffins
- 25+ Instant Pot Breakfast Recipes
- 50+ Gluten-Free and Grain-Free Breakfast Recipes
Gluten-Free Breakfast Tacos + Burritos
- 1 cup breakfast potatoes or 2 hashbrowns, crumbled
- 1/2 cup tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup bacon, crumbled
- 1/2 cup red onions, sliced
- 1/2 cup cilantro
- 1/4 cup jalapenos, sliced
- 2 limes, quartered
- Melt butter on medium heat in a cast iron pan.
- Add onions and cook until lightly browned.
- Add eggs and salt. Cook until done and remove from heat.
- For the breakfast tacos, heat up the corn tortillas on the stove. Set aside. Assemble tacos with ingredients such as eggs, bacon, cheese, tomatoes, cilantro, salsa, avocado, etc. Eat and enjoy.
- For the breakfast burritos, get a large skillet and put on low-medium heat. On a gluten-free flour tortilla, add ingredients such as eggs, bacon, breakfast potatoes, cheese and then roll it up. Add to the skillet and let the outside of the tortilla crisp up and melt the cheese on the inside of the burrito. Set aside when done and enjoy with salsa.
Equipment & Tools
Photo credit: Bigstockphotos.com / Elena Veselova
Want More Recipes?
Check out my new book, Gluten-Free, Real Food Recipes for Kids.
I wrote this book with YOU in mind. Parents who want to provide kids with wholesome meals without artificial colors, preservatives and other additives.
All the recipes are gluten-free – with many options for grain free or Paleo, dairy free, egg free and vegetarian.
What’s Included In This Book
It’s filled with 130+ pages of content and recipes, including:
- Real food nutrition 101
- Detailed information on how to properly soak and sprout nuts, beans, grains and seeds
- A guide on how to spot chemical additives and what to avoid
- Kitchen essentials and cooking tools
- Tips on how to get kids to become better eaters and help in the kitchen
- 70+ gluten-free recipes – such as snacks and appetizers, beverages, condiments and dressings, main meals, desserts and more