Check out these 50+ gluten-free Asian recipes. Make your favorite Chinese, Korean, Thai, Vietnamese dishes without gluten. From chicken wings to poke bowls and short ribs to sushi, there’s something delicious for everyone!
One of the biggest challenges for me when I started my gluten free journey was trying to find out how I could make gluten free Asian recipes. With a Chinese-born mother, Asian foods were a staple for me growing up. I enjoyed home-cooked Chinese dishes almost daily, while enjoying other Asian cuisines such as Japanese, Korean, Thai and Vietnamese classics, including sushi, pad Thai, kim chee, bulgogi and more, on a regular basis.
Gluten-Free Soy Sauce and Gluten-Free Swaps For Noodles
I found that rice or vegetable noodles (get this amazing vegetable spiralizer to make your own vegetable noodles) were perfect for swaps for wheat noodles. I also found Coconut Aminos – a soy sauce alternative that’s derived from coconuts and both soy free and gluten free – and Organicville Sky Valley Sriacha hot sauce – a gluten free and preservative free Asian hot sauce. Both sauces serve as a base for many of my own Asian meals as well as those below. Check out other ideas for gluten free swaps for other favorite foods.
50+ Gluten-Free Asian Recipes
It’s pretty easy to make your own gluten free Asian recipes with these delicious recipes – which are made with wholesome, real food ingredients.
Gluten-Free Asian Fusion
- Asian-Style Chicken Wings by Kitchen Sanctuary
- Asian Lettuce Wraps by Downshiftology
- Korean Beef Tacos by Natasha’s Kitchen
- Ahi Tuna Poke Bowls by Don’t Mess with Mama
- Paleo Dim Sum by Oh The Things We’ll Make
- Homemade Orange Chicken by Delicious Obsessions
- Gluten Free Chinese Dumplings by Don’t Mess with Mama
- Gluten Free Fried Rice by Don’t Mess with Mama
- Cold Asian Sesame Noodles by Don’t Mess with Mama
- Gluten Free Chinese Scallion Pancakes by Gluten Free on a Shoestring
- Homemade Sweet and Sour Chicken by Raia’s Recipes
- Easy Beef Stir Fry by Cupcakes and Kale Chips
- Organic Chicken Stir Fry by Whole Lifestyle Nutrition
- Gluten Free Spicy Asian Chicken Wings by Pamela’s Gluten Free Recipes
- Chicken Adobo by Gluten-Free Living
- Filipino Pancit by Gluten Free by Proxy
- 3-Ingredient Paleo Naan Bread by My Heart Beets
- Paleo Butter Chicken by My Heart Beets
- Gluten Free Naan Bread by Healthful Pursuit
- Lentil and Spinach Curry by Healthful Pursuit
- Easy Chicken Curry by Healthful Pursuit
- Baingan Bharta (Roasted Eggplant Curry) by Tasty Yummies
- Quick Indian Spiced Chicken by Real Food Whole Health
- Quinoa Vegetable Sushi by Oh My Veggies
- Teriyaki Salmon by Seasonal Cravings
- Gluten-Free Chicken Katsu by Just One Cookbook
- Gluten Free Tempura by Health Starts in the Kitchen
- Paleo Okonomiyaki (Japanese Pancake) by Paleo Scaleo
- Soy Free and Gluten Free Teriyaki Sauce by Paleo Newbie
- Shrimp Teriyaki Fried Zucchini Noodles (Yakisoba) by Inspiralized
- Slow Cooker Korean Short Ribs by Nom Nom Paleo
- Korean Scallion Pancakes by The Domestic Man
- Korean Kim Chee Fried Rice by Emilie Eats
- Instant Pot Korean Beef Bulgogi by Cotter Crunch
- Simple Bibimbap by The Darling Bakers
- Korean Vegetable Pancakes (Jeon) by Gluten-Free Gigi
- Cucumber Kimchee by Eating Well
- Radish Kimchee by Beyond Kimchee
- Probiotic Kimchee by Kitchen Stewardship
- Easy Homemade Kimchee by Clean Eating Ma
- Thai Iced Tea by Recipes to Nourish
- Spaghetti Squash Pad Thai by Shared Appetite
- Thai Red Curry Shrimp by Health Starts in the Kitchen
- Thai Eggplant Green Curry by My Heart Beets
- Paleo Drunken Noodles by My Heart Beets
- Vegetarian Zucchini Noodle Pad Thai by Inspiralized
- Red Thai Coconut Curry with Sweet Potato Noodles by Inspiralized
- Thai Coconut Curry Shrimp (dairy free) by Gluten-Free School
- Beef Shanks with Vietnamese Spiced Glaze by Gutsy by Nature
- Gluten Free Cha Gio (Vietnamese Spring Rolls) by Wandering Chopsticks
- Chicken Pho Zucchini Noodle Soup by Inspiralized
- Paleo Banh Xeo (Vietnamese Pancake) by Englighted Foodie
What Other Asian Sauces are Gluten Free?
It really depends on the brands for these sauces, but the good news is you can now find both hoisin and oyster sauce in gluten-free versions. The best strategy is to check the ingredients list if a sauce isn’t marked “Gluten Free” clearly on the label. If you’re on a gluten-free diet, I recommend shopping for Asian sauces at health food stores as the brands they carry tend to have better labeling of ingredients and are always listed in English.
As for fish sauce, it’s also important to check the label as some contain gluten and some don’t. Also, some fish sauce brands add hydrolyzed wheat protein which sometimes gets lost in translation and is listed as “hydrolyzed vegetable protein.” It can be listed in Vietnamese as “protein lua mi,” which literally translates as wheat protein. Again, I recommend shopping for fish sauce at mainstream grocery stores where you will find brands like Red Boat or Thai Kitchen, which are gluten-free.
Some sake brands may contain a minute percentage of gluten due to the koji mold used in sake that can sometimes be harvested on barley (but barley isn’t actually used in the fermenting process). If you’re on a very strict gluten-free diet, you can buy the TYKU brand of gluten-free sake.
Is Miso Gluten Free?
Miso is a Japanese fermented paste made from beans and grains. Soy beans, chickpeas and adzuki beans are typically used in miso paste and are all gluten-free. Grains can range from rice and quinoa to wheat and barley. Sometimes the grain used is identified in the name of the miso, like brown rice miso, but it’s always safest to check the label to be sure.
Eden Foods produces a line of gluten-free miso pastes made with brown rice or shiro available on-line and in many markets.
Top Tips For Gluten-Free Asian Recipes
- Rice of vegetables noodles are a great swap for wheat noodles.
- A spiralizer is a great implement to whip up vegetable noodles.
- Coconut Aminos is a good swap for traditional soy sauce.
- Chinese white wine (which contains gluten) can be substituted with dry sherry.
More Recipes You Might Like
- 25 Gluten-Free Instant Pot Recipes Kids Love
- 25 Gluten-Free Pizza Recipes (Paleo, Low Carb, Vegan Options)
- 20 Instant Pot Meals in 30 Minutes or Less
Did you try this Hawaiian ahi tuna poke bowl recipe? Don’t forget to rate the recipe and comment below to let me know how it went. You can also FOLLOW ME on Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest.
Want More Recipes?
Check out my new book, Gluten-Free, Real Food Recipes for Kids. I wrote this book with YOU in mind. Parents who want to provide kids with wholesome meals without artificial colors, preservatives and other additives. All the recipes are gluten-free – with many options for grain free or Paleo, dairy free, egg free and vegetarian.
What’s Included In This Book
It’s filled with 130+ pages of content and recipes, including:
- Real food nutrition 101
- Detailed information on how to properly soak and sprout nuts, beans, grains and seeds
- A guide on how to spot chemical additives and what to avoid
- Kitchen essentials and cooking tools
- Tips on how to get kids to become better eaters and help in the kitchen
- 70+ gluten-free recipes – such as snacks and appetizers, beverages, condiments and dressings, main meals, desserts and more
Photo credit: Bigstockphoto.com / Elena Veselova / DukeII / mean99
FREE real food guide
Eat healthier in just 7 days with my real food guide and email course. You'll learn how easy it is to go gluten-free and still enjoy the foods that you love.
great round up of recipes.