Got too much sun? Try this After Sun Soothing Spray (DIY Sun Relief Spray). It really helps to soothe skin and it’s a cinch to make with a few ingredients.
This DIY After Sun Relief Spray is so easy to make. It will literally take you a few minutes to make once you have all the ingredients ready.
I don’t know about you, but my family spends a lot of time in the sun. We love to play outdoors and hit the beach when the water is warm in San Diego (which pretty much means all year round).
We make our own homemade sunscreen to avoid the nasty chemicals in conventional ones at the store. In fact, sometimes I just use plain, organic coconut oil for a light SPF for some natural sun protection.
An Easy Homemade After Sun Spray
When we’ve spent all day outdoors or in the sun, I like to use this DIY Sun Relief Spray. It’s great for both kids and adults – and you can make it with simple, natural ingredients from your kitchen. Just 4 ingredients needed and so much cheaper than store bought.
Ingredients to Make This Spray
Let’s go over the ingredients and why they work so well…
About the Ingredients
- Apple cider vinegar helps to soothe skin that’s been in the sun a bit too long.
- Fractionated coconut oil provides a natural barrier to lock in moisture, and helps the Lavender oil spread easier on the skin.
- Aloe vera gel provides soothing relief after sun exposure.
- Lavender essential oil has a relaxing, calming scent and helps to nourish the skin. Check out these 10 Uses for Lavender Essential Oil.
How to Make This DIY Sun Relief Spray – Step by Step
3. Let Lavender oil sit on skin for a few minutes. Dress in loose clothing and drink plenty of water.
4. Repeat steps 1-4 the whole process again as needed to help soothe skin.
How to Store This After Sun Spray
Use dark glass container because it protects essential oils from sunlight better than clear bottles. Essential oils can oxidize when exposed to sunlight, which means they could be less effective. If a dark glass spray bottle is not available, store this after sun spray in a dark cabinet.
Top Tips for This After Sun Spray
- Keep this spray in the refrigerator. The cool spray feels amazing after a hot day in the sun.
- Often products labeled “aloe vera 100% gel” are not pure aloe vera. While it seems at first glance that it would be pure aloe vera gel, what it actually means is that it is “100% gel” with at least some aloe vera in it. Look for certified organic aloe vera.
- After applying this after sun spray, dress in loose clothing and drink plenty of water.
- Keep out of eyes and ears.
How to Get Started with Essential Oils
- Sign up for my FREE essential oil email course in order to learn the basics.
- Check out my FREE online webinars all about essential oils and this beginner’s guide to essential oils.
- Get my essential oils online course – complete with video tutorials, e-book and everything you need to get started with essential oils.
- Find out how to buy essential oils at wholesale, and get a starter kit for 60% off retail prices. It’s the best deal around and a great way to get started with essential oils. Plus lots of freebies just for you!
More DIY Recipes You Might Like
- Homemade Bath Bombs
- DIY Aromatherapy Shower Steamers
- DIY Hair Detangler Spray (with a Printable Label)
After a full day outdoors or in the sun, try this DIY Sun Relief Spray to soothe skin. Make it with simple ingredients you already have in your kitchen.
Fill a spray bottle with apple cider vinegar and spray on skin as needed after the sun. Be sure to keep out of eyes and ears. Let vinegar sit on skin for 5-10 minutes.
Mix Lavender essential oil, carrier oil, and aloe vera gel, and apply to the skin after skin has dried from apple cider vinegar.
Let Lavender oil sit on skin for a few minutes. Dress in loose clothing and drink plenty of water.
Repeat steps 1-4 the whole process again as needed to help soothe skin.
Check out my book Natural Beauty Made Simple. It comes with 45 homemade skincare recipes with a set of printable labels and gift tags. You can download it instantly to your phone, computer or e-reader, so it’s portable and can go with you anywhere!
With this book, you’ll learn how to:
- Make your own organic beauty and skin care products for less than $25 a month!
- Learn simple techniques to make your own skincare – without the fuss of complicated recipes or hard-to-find ingredients
- Get tried-and-true recipes that work to nourish the skin and make it look more radiant than ever before
- Create beautiful gifts for friends and family with the printable labels and gift tags I’ve included with this book
Photo credit: Shutterstock / July Prokopiv