Bursting with benefits, this DIY pumpkin oil body scrub will cleanse and exfoliate your skin naturally leaving it nourished and soft. Made using just four ingredients it’s an easy but effective sugar scrub that also makes the perfect gift.
Body scrubs are one of my favorite homemade skincare products because they only need three components:
- An exfoliant – such as oatmeal, coffee or in this case, sugar
- A carrier oil – for this recipe, pumpkin seed oil, but there are many amazing carrier oils for skincare
- A fragrance – Store bought body scrubs usually use synthetic fragrances which can be harmful to the skin. Instead, I use essential oils, with each one providing powerful benefits for your skin.
As well as being super simple and cheap to make, body scrubs are a valued part of my skincare routine as they remove dead skin cells without harsh chemicals, lift away dirt and excess oil as well as stimulate circulation and new cell growth. This means my skin is left glowing and hydrated naturally for that spa at home feeling every day of the week.
DIY Pumpkin Seed Oil Body Scrub Benefits
Despite just four ingredients you will be amazed with the results of this homemade body scrub thanks to the many benefits of pumpkin seed oil. Benefits include:
- Balancing oil production – Thanks to Vitamins B2 & B3 and Zinc in pumpkin seed oil you will notice this scrub helps to reduce pore size, soothe redness and balance the production of oil in the skin. The sugar also helps to scrub away dead skins cells without stripping your skin of the natural oils it needs.
- Hydrate dry skin – If you suffer from dry skin, this DIY pumpkin oil body scrub could be your skin saviour. This is thanks to the high omega-3 and omega-6 content in pumpkin seed oil. These fatty acids are vital for healthy, nourished skin.
- Overall radiant – Pumpkin seed oil is rich in vitamin E and carotenoids which enhance the skin’s elasticity. This means using it as part of your skincare will help your skin to look visibly younger and boost its overall radiance.
About The Ingredients
- Brown sugar – As your base, brown sugar is an amazing natural exfoliator. It is softer than regular sugar, making this scrub ideal for those with sensitive skin or even for using on the face. Brown sugar also contains glycolic acid, which helps to remove dead skin cells without stripping your skin of its natural oils or moisture.
- Pumpkin seed oil – As the carrier oil in this scrub, pumpkin seed oil not only boasts several benefits for the skin and hair including fighting inflammation, promoting new cell growth and improving an uneven skin tone but also helps to the essential oils absorb into the skin.
- Orange essential oil – Bursting with vitamin C, orange essential oil helps to reduce blemishes and dark spots as well as boasts antiseptic healing properties. Citrus oils also help to remove excess sebum from the skin which can cause breakouts as well as motivate and uplift your mood thanks to their incredible fragrance.
- Sandalwood essential oil – Sandalwood has been used for centuries to soothe the skin as well as the mind. As well as calming inflammation, benefits include helping to even skin tone, replenish moisture and increase elasticity due to the high antioxidant content. The rich and earthy scent also helps to reduce anxiety and increase relaxation, perfect for those zen spa vibes.
How to Make this DIY Body Scrub Step by Step
- Start by adding the brown sugar to your jar.
- Next, add your pumpkin seed oil followed by the essential oils.
- Use a spoon to mix well then seal the lid until ready for use.
- Store in a cool dry place for up to 2 months.
How To Use This DIY Pumpkin Seed Body Scrub
- In the shower: Once you have finished showering, lightly pat your skin with a towel, leaving a little moisture. Apply the sugar scrub in a circular motion to your entire body, taking particular care if using on the face. Rinse with warm water.
- In the bath: For optimum results, indulge in a long soak in the tub first. Ideally 20 minutes minimum as this will help soften the outer layers of skin, making it easier for this DIY pumpkin seed body scrub to work it’s magic. Massage into your skin in
Where to Use This Body Scrub
- For Body – This body scrub is ideal for nourishing dry areas like elbows and knees.
- For Hands – Apply a small amount to massage your hands, especially around the cuticles, for soft and supple hands.
- For Feet – If you’re searching for a cracked heels remedy a natural body scrub can help your feet feel super soft. Massage in a generous dollop for sandal ready feet.
What’s better sugar or salt scrub?
Sugar scrubs are considered more gentle on the skin than salt scrubs due to the shape of granule. Sugar granules are more round where as salt has sharper edges. This means sugar scrubs (like this one) are ideal for those with sensitive skin as it’s less abrasive. Sugar also dissolves more easily in hot water and retains moisture, making it the perfect choice for those with naturally dry skin.
Can I substitute pumpkin seed oil for a different carrier oil?
If your skin is particularly dry, I would also recommend using fractionated coconut oil. Fractionated coconut oil comes in a liquid form all the time, unlike regular coconut oil that turns into a solid when it’s cold so it’s ideal for body scrubs. It’s renowned for it’s moisturizing abilities.
Other carrier oils that help to soothe and nourish the skin include avocado oil, almond oil and even olive oil. Before you go throwing in any old oil from your cupboard double check they are organic, cold-pressed carrier oils for maximum, skin loving benefits.
How Often Should I Use This DIY Sugar Scrub?
This depends on your skin situation and the time of year. I find during the Winter months my skin craves hydration and can become more dry. Use around 2-3 times per week, perhaps not every day to give your skin a chance to rest and replenish.
How Long Does DIY Sugar Scrub Last?
When stored correctly in an airtight container your DIY pumpkin seed sugar scrub should last up to two months. As long as it is kept in a cool, dry place and the lid is airtight. I also recommend you do not apply this body scrub with wet hands. This risks water dripping from your hands into the scrub which can spoil it. In order for your body scrub to last, avoid any water getting into the container.
- Make sure your body scrub container can be sealed airtight.
- This DIY body scrub make a wonderful and easy homemade Christmas gift,, especially if you need something last-minute.
- To maximize shelf life, don’t get any water in the scrub. Any water can cause it to spoil and get moldy.
How to Get Started with Essential Oils
- Sign up for my FREE essential oil email course in order to learn the basics.
- Check out my FREE masterclass all about essential oils and this beginner’s guide to essential oils.
- Get my essential oils online course – complete with video tutorials, e-book and everything you need to get started with essential oils.
- Find out how to buy essential oils at wholesale, and get a starter kit for 60% off retail prices. It’s the best deal around and a great way to get started with essential oils. Plus lots of freebies just for you.
More DIY Recipes You Might Like
- 100+ DIY Beauty + Skin Care Recipes
- DIY Coffee Body Scrub
- DIY Lemon Body Scrub
- DIY Lip Scrub
- 4 DIY Pumpkin Face Masks
Did you try this DIY pumpkin Oil Body Scrub? Comment below to let me know how it went. You can also FOLLOW ME on Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest to see what other fun things I’m getting up to.
Want More DIY Recipes?
Check out my book Natural Beauty Made Simple. It comes with 45 homemade skincare recipes with a set of printable labels and gift tags. You can download it instantly to your phone, computer or e-reader, so it’s portable and can go with you anywhere!
- Make your own organic beauty and skin care products for less than $25 a month!
- Learn simple techniques to make your own skincare – without the fuss of complicated recipes or hard-to-find ingredients
- Get tried-and-true recipes that work to nourish the skin and make it look more radiant than ever before
- Create beautiful gifts for friends and family with the printable labels and gift tags I’ve included with this book
Take a peek at what’s inside Natural Beauty Made Simple.
DIY Pumpkin Seed Body Scrub
- 8-10 oz Mason Jar with Wide Mouth
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 tbsp Pumpkin Seed Oil
- 10 drops Sandalwood essential oil
- 10 drops Orange essential oil
- Gather ingredients together.
- Pour brown sugar into a medium sized bowl.
- Add fractionated coconut oil.
- Add essential oils.
- Mix until thoroughly blended.
- Store in airtight glass container.
Leave a Reply