Did you know deodorants from the store are loaded with toxins? Here’s a natural homemade deodorant that’s a solid, like those in the store, so no goopy mess. Plus it’s really easy to make, with only a handful of ingredients.
Ok, I admit it. I have a little secret – no pun intended. Up until very recently, I was still using an antiperspirant and deodorant.
Yes, I know big shocker. I write all about natural living, yet I’m still using one of the most toxic personal care products. Yep, that’s me.
I don’t have body odor per se on a daily basis, but after a good workout or a day of traveling… well, things can get a little stinky. And I was a bit self-conscious about it.
Little did I realize that sweat and odors are part of the body’s natural detoxifying process. And using an antiperspirant and deodorant actually blocked that process. In three words: detox is good. Not to mention antiperspirants and deodorants are loaded with toxic chemicals. Read more in 7 toxins lurking in your deodorant.
So I experimented a bit and after a few attempts I finally came up with a recipe that I loved. One requirement for me is that I wanted my natural homemade deodorant to be a solid. I just don’t like the idea of using a lotion, cream or some other goopy deodorant under my arms. I wanted something with the consistency similar to my old solid deodorant. In this case, beeswax was the solution. And because it’s a solid, it travels well on the go – such as a purse, gym bag or make-up bag.
How to Make Natural Homemade Deodorant – Step By Step
In a double boiler, add coconut oil, shea butter and beeswax. Bring to a boil on medium heat and stir until beeswax and shea butter are in liquid form.
Remove from heat, then add baking soda, bentonite clay, arrowroot powder, and essential oils. Mix well.
Pour liquid mixture into a silicone muffin mold or a 5 oz. container, such an empty deodorant container.
Let cool down to solidify for about 2-3 hours. The beeswax will help to keep it in solid form to use as a traditional deodorant.
If using a silicone mold, pop out the DIY natural deodorant solids and store in a reusable container or bag to use at home or on the go.
Natural Homemade Deodorant – Ingredient Benefits
About the Ingredients
- Coconut oil helps this deodorant to glide on easily.
- Shea butter is derived from the nuts of the shea tree, grown in Africa. It’s incredibly moisturizing and can help to protect skin from dryness.
- Baking soda helps to absorb moisture and odors naturally.
- Beeswax is moisturizing and helps to keep this natural deodorant in a solid form that makes it easy to travel.
- Arrowroot powder is made from the roots of the arrowroot plant, which is native to South America. It helps to keep skin dry and wick away moisture.
- Bentonite clay helps to absorb moisture from your underarms and eliminate body odor without causing irritation. Learn more about the health uses for bentonite clay.
- Essential oils give the natural scent to this recipe. They can also help to soothe the skin and eliminates odors.
Customize the Scent of This Natural Homemade Deodorant
You can easily change up the scent of this homemade deodorant. Just swap out the essential oils in the base recipe with one of these combinations:
- 3 drops Eucalyptus essential oil + 3 drops Spearmint essential oil
- 4 drops Stress Away blend essential oil + 2 drops Lime essential oil
- 2 drops Lemongrass essential oil + 2 drops Citronella essential oil + 2 drops Tea Tree essential oil
- 6 drops Lavender essential oil
An Easy DIY Deodorant Recipe
This DIY natural deodorant recipe is really straightforward to whip up. The ingredient list is modest and it takes just 5 mins to prep and 10 mins to cook. The longest part is leaving them to set, which is pretty labor free. You can make this natural deodorant is quicker than going to the grocery store to buy them.
Top Tips for Natural Homemade Deodorant
- If you are sensitive to baking soda, swap it with more bentonite clay.
- You can use an empty deodorant container as a mold to pour in your deodorant into.
- Let mix cool for at least 2 hours.
More DIY Recipes You Might Like
- DIY Exfoliating Facial Scrub for Glowing Skin
- DIY Dry Shampoo Powder + DIY Dry Shampoo Spray
- 10 Easy DIY Skin Care Swaps – Affordable and Non-Toxic
Check out my book Natural Beauty Made Simple. It comes with 45 homemade skincare recipes with a set of printable labels and gift tags. You can download it instantly to your phone, computer or e-reader, so it’s portable and can go with you anywhere!
With this book, you’ll learn how to:
- Make your own organic beauty and skin care products for less than $25 a month!
- Learn simple techniques to make your own skincare – without the fuss of complicated recipes or hard-to-find ingredients
- Get tried-and-true recipes that work to nourish the skin and make it look more radiant than ever before
- Create beautiful gifts for friends and family with the printable labels and gift tags I’ve included with this book
DIY Natural Deodorant
- In a double boiler, add coconut oil, shea butter and beeswax. Bring to a boil on medium heat and stir until beeswax and shea butter are in liquid form.
- Remove from heat, then add baking soda, bentonite clay, arrowroot powder, and essential oils. Mix well.
- Pour liquid mixture into a silicone muffin mold or a 5 oz. container, such an empty deodorant container.
- Let cool down to solidify for about 2-3 hours. The beeswax will help to keep it in solid form to use as a traditional deodorant.
- If using a silicone mold, pop out the DIY natural deodorant solids and store in a reusable container or bag to use at home or on the go.
Photo credit: Bigstockphotos.com / Yastremska
FREE DIY Beauty Book
Get glowing skin and learn how to make your own DIY beauty products with simple ingredients from your kitchen. Plus, get my 7-day essential oils course to get gorgeous skin from the inside out.