Love the smell of pine, but not sure about the chemicals in traditional pine cleaners? Make your own DIY Natural Wood Floor Cleaner (aka Homemade Pine-Sol) for wood floors and furniture.
Do you love the scent of pine when you clean? Me too! I absolutely love the scent, but not the nasty chemicals or synthetic fragrance in traditional pine cleaners. Read on for a fresh smelling and effective DIY Wood Floor Cleaner
Why Make This DIY Wood Floor Cleaner
Think about a toddler crawling on wood floors just cleaned with traditional pine cleaner. Or how about your spouse, friend or family eating a piece of food that dropped off a plate onto a wooden table that was just cleaned with a pine cleaner.
Seems harmless, right? Think about the ingredients in that pine cleaner. Here’s a list of ingredients from a popular store-bought pine cleaner:
Water, C10-12 Alcohol Ethoxylates Glycolic Acid, Fragrance, Caramel, Dimethicone/Silica/PEG Distearate Antifoam, Sodium C14-17 Sec-Alkyl Sulfonate, and Xanthan Gum
Did you notice pine extract or pine essential oil anywhere in there? Yep, it’s not there. The synthetic fragrance could contain hundreds of ingredients to make up that pine scent. And the ingredient alcohol ethoxylates has been linked to cancer, developmental issues, endocrine and reproductive issues, allergies and skin irritation, respiratory issues, and more, according to the Environmental Working Group’s Guide to Healthy Cleaners, which ranked this pine cleaner with a D rating (scale is A-F with A indicating the lowest concern to environment and health and F the highest concern).
While I love the scent of pine for cleaning, I knew there had to be a better way. And I found it! In fact, I’ve made my own DIY Household Cleaner before and this is just a quick modification with the fresh, clean scent of Pine essential oil.
If you’ve got wood floors, chances are that want to keep them looking their best. Cleaning wood floors using natural ingredients helps them to retain their shine, resist scratches, and prevent fogging.
How to Make This DIY Natural Pine Cleaner – Step by Step
Ready to learn how to make your own DIY Natural Pine Cleaner for Wood Floors and Furniture? Check out this easy recipe and tutorial.
1. Add castile soap or Thieves household cleaner to a 16 oz spray bottle.
2. Add essential oils.
3. Fill with water. Shake well.
4. Shake well before each use.
Ingredients in this Wood Floor Cleaner
- Liquid castile soap is a coconut-based soap that is non-toxic and non-irritating to the skin. It’s gentle enough to use on baby’s skin, yet great for cleaning skin naturally.
- Thieves Household Cleaner is an all-purpose cleaner solution that is highly concentrated and can be diluted to clean pretty much every surface of the home.
- Pine essential oil provides a natural, non-toxic fragrance and helps to clean surfaces.
- Lemon essential oil helps to naturally degrease and clean surfaces.
How to Use This Wood Floor Cleaner
To use on wood surfaces, spray on wood surfaces and use a microfiber cloth to wipe up dust, dirt and grime.
To use on wood or laminate floors, fill sink to halfway mark with warm water. Add castile soap or Thieves household cleaner, and essential oils. Mix well. Use with a mop to clean floors.
Top Tips for This Cleaner
- First things first, be sure to sweep or vacuum up any debris that may be on your floors.
- The fragrance part of this cleaner is completely optional, but let’s be hones, if you’re going through the work to have a clean house, you want it to smell like one.
- Spray in small batch as you work your way across the room, making sure to keep your mop damp and flexible as you go.
- Shake well before using.
How to Get Started with Essential Oils
- Sign up for my FREE essential oil email course in order to learn the basics.
- Check out my FREE masterclass all about essential oils and this beginner’s guide to essential oils.
- Get my essential oils online course – complete with video tutorials, e-book and everything you need to get started with essential oils.
- Find out how to buy essential oils at wholesale, and get a starter kit for 60% off retail prices. It’s the best deal around and a great way to get started with essential oils. Plus lots of freebies just for you.
More DIY Recipes
- DIY Natural Household Cleaner
- Homemade Foaming Hand Soap
- Homemade Toilet Fizzies
- DIY Reusable Cleaning Wipes
DIY Homemade Pine Wood Cleaner (Homemade Pine-Sol)
- In a 16oz spray bottle, add castile soap or Thieves Household Cleaner.
- Add essential oils.
- Add water to fill up the bottle.
- Shake bottle before each use.
- To use on wood surfaces, spray on wood surfaces and use a microfiber cloth to wipe up dust, dirt and grime. To use on wood or laminate floors, fill sink to halfway mark with warm water. Add castile soap or Thieves household cleaner, and essential oils. Mix well. Use with a mop to clean floors.
Photo credit: Shutterstock / Sentelia
Sign up to get a FREE copy of my e-book, The Essential Home: Quick Start Guide to DIY - available exclusively to subscribers.
You'll also get weekly updates with the latest DIY tutorials, natural health tips, and real food recipes.