Do you love the scent of pine when you clean?
Me too! I absolutely love the scent, but not the nasty chemicals or synthetic fragrance in traditional pine cleaners.
Think about a toddler crawling on wood floors just cleaned with traditional pine cleaner. Or how about your spouse, friend or family eating a piece of food that dropped off a plate onto a wooden table that was just cleaned with a pine cleaner.
Seems harmless, right? Think about the ingredients in that pine cleaner. Here’s a list of ingredients from a popular store-bought pine cleaner:
Water, C10-12 Alcohol Ethoxylates Glycolic Acid, Fragrance, Caramel, Dimethicone/Silica/PEG Distearate Antifoam, Sodium C14-17 Sec-Alkyl Sulfonate, and Xanthan Gum
Did you notice pine extract or pine essential oil anywhere in there? Yep, it’s not there. The synthetic fragrance could contain hundreds of ingredients to make up that pine scent. And the ingredient alcohol ethoxylates has been linked to cancer, developmental issues, endocrine and reproductive issues, allergies and skin irritation, respiratory issues, and more, according to the Environmental Working Group’s Guide to Healthy Cleaners, which ranked this pine cleaner with a D rating (scale is A-F with A indicating the lowest concern to environment and health and F the highest concern).
While I love the scent of pine for cleaning, I knew there had to be a better way. And I found it! In fact, I’ve made my own DIY Household Cleaner before and this is just a quick modification with the fresh, clean scent of Pine essential oil.
DIY Natural Pine Cleaner (Homemade Pine-Sol) for Wood Floors and Furniture
About the Ingredients
- Liquid castile soap is a coconut-based soap that is non-toxic and non-irritating to the skin. It’s gentle enough to use on baby’s skin, yet great for cleaning skin naturally.
- Thieves Household Cleaner (how to order) is an all-purpose cleaner solution that is highly concentrated and can be diluted to clean pretty much every surface of the home. It contains vegetable-based surfactants like alkyl polyglucoside that are compliant with Green Seal and EPA Design for Environment (DfE) standards, biodegradable cutting agents like sodium methyl 2-sulfolaurate and disodium 2-sulfolaurate from renewable sources (both ingredients rated 0 on a 10 point scale on the Environmental Working Group’s health hazard score – which is the best score possible), and therapeutic-grade Thieves and Lemon essential oils (the highest quality and purity essential oils) for natural cleaning.
- Pine Essential Oil provides a natural, non-toxic fragrance and helps to clean naturally. I only use Young Living essential oils (how to order) for my baby. These are therapeutic-grade, organic essential oils.
- 1 tbsp liquid castile soap or Thieves Household Cleaner
- 10 drops of Pine essential oil
- In a 16oz spray bottle, add castile soap or Thieves Household Cleaner and Pine essential oil.
- Add water to fill up the bottle.
- Shake bottle before each use.
Ready to learn how to make your own DIY Natural Pine Cleaner for Wood Floors and Furniture? Check out this easy recipe and tutorial.
Photo credit: DepositPhotos.com / amaviael and monkeybusiness, Young Living
FREE DIY Beauty Book
Get glowing skin and learn how to make your own DIY beauty products with simple ingredients from your kitchen. Plus, get my 7-day essential oils course to get gorgeous skin from the inside out.