Want a natural way to freshen your breath without gum or mints? I’ve got the simplest DIY Natural Breath Spray and Natural Mouthwash recipe and options for flavors. It really helps to freshen breath on the go and you can use it as a mouthwash!
Want a natural way to freshen your breath without the harsh ingredients? I’ve got the simplest Natural Mouthwash and Breath Spray recipe ever – and you can customize it with your favorite flavor.
Better Than Gum and Mints
After you eat, do you typically reach for chewing gum or breath mints?
It can be refreshing – especially after eating a meal with garlic or onions. But have you read the nutrition labels on those packs of gum and mints?
You’ll see a ton of ingredients – including artificial colors, artificial sweeteners, and preservatives. Even natural breath mints or chewing gum can be loaded with sugar. And despite what you’ve read or heard, chewing gum is actually not good for you.
How to Make This DIY Natural Mouthwash and Breath Spray – Step by Step
1. Add 5 drops Peppermint essential oil and 3 drops Clove or Thieves essential oil to a 2 oz glass spray bottle.
2. Add a pinch of sea salt to the bottle.
3. Fill with water and shake vigorously for about a minute.
4. To use, shake well and then pump 2-3 spray in the mouth as a breath spray. Add more drops of essential oils according to your taste. You can also unscrew the cap and pour out 1 tbsp as needed to use as a natural mouthwash.
5. Keep at room temperature for a week or store in the fridge to last for about a month.
What’s in This Natural Mouthwash and Breath Spray
The essential oils in this breath spray help to freshen breath naturally. Here’s what I recommend using:
- Peppermint essential oil has a clean, fresh and minty flavor.
- Spearmint essential oil has a minty, slightly fruit flavor that’s a little softer than peppermint.
- Clove and Thieves essential oil has a warm, spicy flavor.
This breath spray also has a pinch of salt to keep the essential oils dispersed in the water. Without it, the essential oils float on top of the water.
Top Tips for This Mouthwash and Breath Spray
- It is always best to have dark spray bottles to extend the shelf life of the essential oils.
- Make sure to shake vigorously before use.
- Spearmint and cinnamon are also great oils to use in place of peppermint.
How to Get Started with Essential Oils
- Sign up for my FREE essential oil email course in order to learn the basics.
- Check out my FREE online webinars all about essential oils and this beginner’s guide to essential oils.
- Get my essential oils online course – complete with video tutorials, e-book and everything you need to get started with essential oils.
- Find out how to buy essential oils at wholesale, and get a starter kit for 60% off retail prices. It’s the best deal around and a great way to get started with essential oils. Plus lots of freebies just for you!
More DIY Recipes You Might Like
- DIY Sugar Scrub With Orange And Cedarwood
- 10 Uses for Thieves Essential Oil
- DIY Hair Detangler Spray (with a Printable Label)
Did you try this DIY Breath Spray? Don’t forget to comment below and PIN this post to save it for later. You can also FOLLOW ME on Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest.
DIY Breath Spray + Natural Mouthwash
- 2 oz glass spray bottle
- 5 drops Peppermint essential oil
- 3 drops Clove or Thieves essential oil
- pinch sea salt
- purified water
- Add essential oil to glass spray bottle.
- Add a pinch of salt to the bottle.
- Fill with water and shake vigorously for about a minute. The sea salt will help to keep the essential oils dispersed in the water.
- To use, pump 2-3 spray in the mouth as a breath spray. Add more drops of essential oils according to your taste. You can also unscrew the cap and pour out 1 tbsp as needed to use as a natural mouthwash.
Want More DIY Recipes?
Check out my book Natural Beauty Made Simple. It comes with 45 homemade skincare recipes with a set of printable labels and gift tags. You can download it instantly to your phone, computer or e-reader, so it’s portable and can go with you anywhere!
With this book, you’ll learn how to:
- Make your own organic beauty and skin care products for less than $25 a month!
- Learn simple techniques to make your own skincare – without the fuss of complicated recipes or hard-to-find ingredients
- Get tried-and-true recipes that work to nourish the skin and make it look more radiant than ever before
- Create beautiful gifts for friends and family with the printable labels and gift tags I’ve included with this book
Photo credit: Shutterstock / Rita Pirahova
FREE DIY Beauty Book
Get glowing skin and learn how to make your own DIY beauty products with simple ingredients from your kitchen. Plus, get my 7-day essential oils course to get gorgeous skin from the inside out.
Can I add xylitol to this? If so how much?
Tracey Black says
You could. Do it to taste.
what if you dont have essential oils ?
Tracey Black says
You need essential oils for the aroma in the recipe to help freshen breath.
Can you swallow this mixture?
Tracey Black says
Yes, but be sure you’re using essential oils that can be internally like Young Living.