Did you know that most aftershave products sold in stores has a laundry list of chemicals in them? Yep, it’s true. Thankfully, it’s easy to make your own DIY Natural Aftershave, but first let’s talk about why you want to avoid aftershave products in the store.
So walk through the aisles of any department or drugstore, and you’ll find the common ingredients in aftershave products include:
- Propolene glycol (a type of alcohol used as an astringent and the same ingredient used to make antifreeze)
- Benzyl acetate and ethyl acetate (solvents used in perfumes and aftershave that have been linked to respiratory issues and known as a carcinogen)
- Synthetic fragrances (with chemicals that may cause respiratory problems, dizziness and allergies)
In addition, synthetic fragrances are typically proprietary (a secret formula that companies don’t have to disclose to the public) and may contain as many as 4,000 different ingredients. Yet, it could be listed on a label just once as a “fragrance”. Pretty scary stuff, right?
The good news is that it’s easy to make your own DIY Natural Aftershave and avoid all those toxic chemicals. It’s also way cheaper and works so well to soothe the skin naturally.
DIY Natural Aftershave Spray
About the Essential Oils
- Witch hazel is a natural astringent. It helps to cleanse the skin and soothe and cuts from shaving.
- Aloe vera gel is a natural moisturizer and helps to soothe the skin. It works well to disperse essential oils too.
- Vegetable glycerin helps to keep the DIY Aftershave well mixed. It also serves as a moisturizer.
- Essential oils (how to order) are used as a natural fragrance. Idaho Balsam Fir, Lavender and Stress Away create a Mountain Man scent that’s woodsy and masculine, and helps to soothe the skin.
- 2 tbsp aloe vera gel
- 2 tbsp witch hazel
- 1 tbsp distilled water
- 2 tsp vegetable glycerin
- 2-3 drops Idaho Balsam Fir essential oil (how to order)
- 2-3 drops Lavender essential oil (how to order)
- 1 drop Stress Away essential oil (how to order)
- In a small bowl, add aloe vera gel, witch hazel and water. Whisk well.
- Add vegetable glycerin and essential oils. Mix together.
- Pour mixture into two 2 oz. spray bottles.
- Shake well before each use.
Makes about two 2 oz. bottles.
Photo credit: Bigstockphoto.com / tihayanadya
FREE DIY Beauty Book
Get glowing skin and learn how to make your own DIY beauty products with simple ingredients from your kitchen. Plus, get my 7-day essential oils course to get gorgeous skin from the inside out.