Ditch the store-bought aftershave lotions and sprays that are filled with toxic chemicals, and make this DIY Aftershave instead. It’s so easy, and you can make it just a couple of minutes with 4 basic ingredients.
Did you know that most aftershave products sold in stores has a laundry list of chemicals in them? Yep, it’s true. Thankfully, it’s easy to make your own DIY Natural Aftershave, but first let’s talk about why you want to avoid aftershave products in the store.
Ingredients to Avoid in Aftershave
So walk through the aisles of any department or drugstore, and you’ll find the common ingredients in aftershave products include:
- Propolene glycol (a type of alcohol used as an astringent and the same ingredient used to make antifreeze)
- Benzyl acetate and ethyl acetate (solvents used in perfumes and aftershave that have been linked to respiratory issues and known as a carcinogen)
- Synthetic fragrances (with chemicals that may cause respiratory problems, dizziness and allergies)
In addition, synthetic fragrances are typically proprietary (a secret formula that companies don’t have to disclose to the public) and may contain as many as 4,000 different ingredients. Yet, it could be listed on a label just once as a “fragrance”. Pretty scary stuff, right?
The good news is that it’s easy to make your own DIY Natural Aftershave and avoid all those toxic chemicals. It’s also way cheaper and works so well to soothe the skin naturally.
How to Make This DIY Natural Aftershave Spray
It’s a piece of cake to make this DIY Aftershave Spray. The basic recipe is just 4 ingredients – aloe vera gel, witch hazel, vegetable glycerin, and water and literally takes about a minute to put together. It’s like a skin toner that helps to nourish and protect the skin after shaving.
The essential oils in this recipe provide the natural fragrance. It’s like a mountain man scent, so the men in your life will love it. But you can customize the scent to your preference. Another favorite combination is pine and lavender. Or to make something really easy, just use the Stress Away essential oil blend.
About the Ingredients
- Witch hazel is a natural astringent. It helps to cleanse the skin and soothe and cuts from shaving.
- Aloe vera gel is a natural moisturizer and helps to soothe the skin. It works well to disperse essential oils too.
- Vegetable glycerin helps to keep the DIY Aftershave well mixed. It also serves as a moisturizer.
- Essential oils are used as a natural fragrance. Idaho Balsam Fir, Lavender and Stress Away create a Mountain Man scent that’s woodsy and masculine, and helps to soothe the skin.
How to Get Started with Essential Oils
- Sign up for my FREE essential oil email course in order to learn the basics.
- Check out my FREE online webinars all about essential oils and this beginner’s guide to essential oils.
- Get my essential oils online course – complete with video tutorials, e-book and everything you need to get started with essential oils.
- Find out how to buy essential oils at wholesale, and get a starter kit for 60% off retail prices. It’s the best deal around and a great way to get started with essential oils. Plus lots of freebies just for you!
More DIY Tutorials
- DIY Natural Shave Gel
- DIY Personal Care Products for Men
- 6 DIY Gifts for Men
- 100+ DIY Beauty + Skin Care Recipes
Ditch the store-bought aftershave lotions and sprays that are filled with toxic chemicals, and make this DIY Aftershave instead. It's so easy, and you can make it just a couple of minutes with 4 basic ingredients.
Get all of the ingredients ready.
In a small bowl, add aloe vera gel.
Add witch hazel and vegetable glycerin to the bowl.
Add essential oils.
Then add water and mix well together.
Pour mixture into two 2 oz. spray bottles. Shake well before each use.
- Makes about two 2 oz. bottles.
- The witch hazel has astringent properties for the skin and helps to keep the water sanitized. This DIY Aftershave Spray has a shelf life of about 2 weeks.
- You can easily double or triple this recipe to make DIY gifts for the men in your life for the holidays, Father's Day, etc. Or you can make smaller batches as needed.
FREE DIY Beauty Book
Get glowing skin and learn how to make your own DIY beauty products with simple ingredients from your kitchen. Plus, get my 7-day essential oils course to get gorgeous skin from the inside out.