Make this homemade DIY Body Salt Scrub with just 3 ingredients for glowing skin. Use it the next time you’re in the shower to help gently exfoliate, nourish and moisturize skin. You can even leave a jar near the bathroom sink to exfoliate hands when they feel dry.
Why spend hundreds of dollars on fancy lotions and beauty products when there’s a way to save your money? You can easily make your own that works just as well – if not better than store-bought versions – for a fraction of the price. And best of all, you can customize the ingredients to suit your needs.
This DIY Body Salt Scrub smells so good that you’ll find yourself looking forward to scrubbing down with it every day or perhaps even just opening the jar and enjoying a cheerful sniff.
Why Should I Exfoliate?
Exfoliation should be a part of every skincare regimen. If you’ve never done it (with the right exfoliation, one that actually does something – not the usual cream with a few seeds or synthetic molecules thrown in to the mix but a real scrub), you will be amazed at how effective this product is for unclogging pores, promoting healthy, speedy turnover of skin cells, balancing our oil production, purifying the pores of toxins and dirt and smoothing skin tone, creating a radiant, fresh overall look and feel.
Why This DIY Body Scrub Works
Sea salt is a natural exfoliator with small particles that makes it a gentle exfoliator that’s effective in getting rid of dead skin cells and promoting new cell turnover – giving skin a healthy glow.
Coconut oil helps the sea salt glide over the skin for exfoliation, and helps to moisturize skin and leave it glowing.
Essential oils provide a natural scent to this homemade body salt scrub and helps to nourish the skin. You can use different essential oils, such as Lavender for dry skin, Lemon to brighten skin, Frankincense to soothe skin.
How to Make This DIY Body Salt Scrub – Step by Step
3. Spoon the mixture into 2 small jars (one for the shower and one for the sink).
Just remember that lemon essential oil can make your skin photosensitive. So it’s best to avoid sun exposure for 24 hours after using this DIY body salt scrub. Or skip it and just use lavender essential oil.
What Essential Oils to Use?
Essential oils are used in these DIY skin care recipes as they help with fine lines, even out skin tone, improve clarity, brighten skin, give a youthful appearance, and even with occasional blemishes.
You can use a combination of essential oils for these recipes, including:
Find out how to buy essential oils at wholesale, and get a starter kit for 60% off retail prices. It’s the best deal around and a great way to get started with essential oils.
How to Use This DIY Body Salt Scrub
Just use a spoonful of this DIY body salt scrub on the body or hands to gently exfoliate remove dead skin cells. Rinse off with warm water and towel dry. Skin will feel silky smooth and moisturized.
Avoid using this salt scrub on the face. Instead use this DIY Facial Scrub that’s more gentle for the face.
Make DIY Gifts for Family and Friends
Make a big batch of this DIY body scrub to give as gifts for the holidays, birthdays, new neighbors and even teacher gifts. Get of 12 pint-sized Mason jars with a wide mouth and fill each one with this DIY Body Salt Scrub and then tie a cute ribbon to the jar. Voila! 12 DIY gifts made in less than 30 minutes.
What’s The Difference Between Salt and Sugar Scrubs?
Sugar scrubs are gentler than salt scrubs because the granule is round and therefore doesn’t have any ability to “cut” the skin. It’s a far better choice for sensitive skin types and the only choice for the face. Sugar granules dissolve more easily in hot water, and they are less abrasive than salt scrubs. While sugar scrubs don’t have the mineral benefits of salt scrubs, they are less drying. So there’s a place for both sugar and salt!
How Long Does This DIY Salt Scrub Last?
Store the scrub in a cool, dry location, such as a bathroom cupboard. Because salt is a preservative, the scrub could last anywhere from one to two years without going rancid. Sugar is also a preservative, but a sugar-based scrub will only last for a few months.
Top Tips for DIY Body Salt Scrub
- Use organic oils. The human skin is an extremely sensitive organ. The last thing you want is to clog your pores. Organic oils are the best way to avoid bad break outs and rashes.
- Before giving this as a gift, take it for a test drive. Turn on the shower and see for yourself if you’re happy with the scent, scrub and moisturizing benefits of your home made gem.
- Body scrubs typically hang out in humid areas. To keep your gift looking snazzy, make sure your tags and labels are waterproof so they don’t peel off.
- Buy in bulk. Carefully measure and plan for how much of each ingredient you will need. Making homemade scrubs for holiday gifts can definitely make your bank account happy, but having left over ingredients can be a big waste.
How to Get Started with Essential Oils
- Sign up for my FREE essential oil email course in order to learn the basics.
- Check out my FREE masterclass all about essential oils and this beginner’s guide to essential oils.
- Get my essential oils online course – complete with video tutorials, e-book and everything you need to get started with essential oils.
- Find out how to buy essential oils at wholesale, and get a starter kit for 60% off retail prices. It’s the best deal around and a great way to get started with essential oils. Plus lots of freebies just for you.
More DIY Recipes You Might Like
- DIY Lavender Bath Salts
- DIY Charcoal Peel-Off Mask
- 50+ Uses for Coconut Oil
- Dry Skin Brushing: Step-by-Step Tutorial and Why You Need It
Check out my book Natural Beauty Made Simple. It comes with 45 homemade skincare recipes with a set of printable labels and gift tags. You can download it instantly to your phone, computer or e-reader, so it’s portable and can go with you anywhere!
- Make your own organic beauty and skin care products for less than $25 a month!
- Learn simple techniques to make your own skincare – without the fuss of complicated recipes or hard-to-find ingredients
- Get tried-and-true recipes that work to nourish the skin and make it look more radiant than ever before
- Create beautiful gifts for friends and family with the printable labels and gift tags I’ve included with this book
Take a peek at what’s inside Natural Beauty Made Simple.
DIY Body Salt Scrub
- Once mixed add the essential oils and stir gently.
- Spoon the mixture into 2 small jars (one for the shower and one for the sink).
- To use, scoop out a spoonful of the body salt scrub and gently rub on damp skin to exfoliate. Rinse with warm water and towel dry.
Photo credit: Bigstockphoto.com / Julia Sudnitskaya
FREE DIY Beauty Book
Get glowing skin and learn how to make your own DIY beauty products with simple ingredients from your kitchen. Plus, get my 7-day essential oils course to get gorgeous skin from the inside out.