Make this simple, streak-free DIY Glass Cleaner and Stainless Steel Cleaner with just a few ingredients. There’s a secret ingredient that will make your glass and stainless steel shine like nothing else!
This post contains affiliate links. Please read my affiliate disclosure.
At Thanksgiving last year, our refrigerator finally broke down. I know… not the most convenient of days when I needed some fridge space to store leftovers. Thank goodness we were already done cooking and had a mini-fridge in the garage to store the leftovers.
So we got a new fridge within a week and it was glorious. It’s a stainless steel fridge with the freezer on the bottom and two doors (rather than a drawer) which calms my OCD tendencies for neat piles of food containers and order. I’m not the only one, right?
While I love the inside of the fridge and all the fantastic compartments, what I don’t love is the fingerprints on the outside of the fridge. Oh my goodness… how does a family of five produce SO MANY fingerprints. Our last fridge must have had a surface that didn’t show it as well because now it’s a constant battle of me cleaning the outside of the fridge because the fingerprints drive me crazy.
I wanted to come up with a DIY Glass Cleaner and Stainless Steel Cleaner that can make my fridge look brand new again because most store-bought cleaners are made with toxic chemicals that I don’t want in my home. And frankly, I don’t want to spend $5 for a glass cleaner or stainless steel cleaner when I can make my own for less than $1 with all-natural ingredients.
In fact, I found a secret ingredient that helps to provide the BEST shine for windows and stainless steel and helps to prevent streaks that result from a lot of DIY glass cleaners. Keep reading to find out what it is…
How to Make This DIY Glass Cleaner and Stainless Steel Cleaner
So there’s a lot of DIY glass cleaners and DIY stainless steel cleaners out there. Most have a mix of either vinegar or rubbing alcohol. While those two ingredients provide a great base, it’s important to add a few more ingredients to combat the grease, fingerprints, and smudges that accumulate on glass and stainless steel surfaces over time.
About the Ingredients
- Rubbing alcohol is essential for this recipe because it evaporates quickly. That helps to keep it streak-free and sanitizes surfaces. If you prefer, you can use vodka in place of rubbing alcohol for the same effect.
- White vinegar helps to break down dirt and grime – especially those fingerprints and smudges. It also helps to clean without streaks.
- Cornstarch (or arrowroot powder) is the secret ingredient that makes this DIY glass cleaner and stainless steel cleaner work so well. It cleans without leaving streaks and helps to provide a shine to glass and stainless steel.
- Distilled water is key with this recipe because the minerals in undistilled and hard water can leave streaks. Who knew right? So opt for distilled water to avoid the minerals… and typically hard water issues that lead to streaks and spots.
- Essential oils provide the natural scent for this recipe (as vinegar can be a little overpowering) and help to boost the degreasing and shine factor. If you didn’t already know, citrus oils like lemon and orange are very effective for cleaning.
Did you try this DIY Glass Cleaner and Stainless Steel Cleaner? Don’t forget to rate the recipe and comment below to let me know how it went. You can also FOLLOW ME on Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest to catch up with me.
DIY Glass Cleaner and Stainless Steel Cleaner
- Use a funnel to add vinegar and rubbing alcohol to a 16 oz glass spray bottle.
- Add 1 tbsp of cornstarch and essential oils in the funnel.
- Add water (which will take down any remaining cornstarch into the bottle) into the funnel.
- Screw on the the spray nozzle and shake well before each use.
More DIY Cleaning Recipes
- DIY Natural Bleach Alternative
- Homemade Foaming Hand Soap
- Homemade Toilet Fizzies
- DIY Reusable Cleaning Wipes