Go longer between washing your hair with this simple DIY Dry Shampoo Powder and DIY Dry Shampoo Spray. Both are so easy to make with ingredients you already have in your panty.
When you’re on the go all the time, it’s hard to keep up with daily shampoo washes. So go longer in between washes with these homemade dry shampoo recipes. They’re inexpensive to make and you probably already have the ingredients in your kitchen. You can customize the scent with your favorite essential oils too.
What’s the Difference Between the Dry Shampoo Powder and the Spray?
It’s really just a preference. The DIY dry shampoo powder recipe is great for everyday use when you want to go longer in between washes. The DIY dry shampoo spray recipe is better for oily hair or when hair is greasy or needs more help with deodorizing (like after the gym or a workout). Both help to give volume and absorb excess oil.
I actually prefer the homemade dry shampoo spray for everyday use. I find that it really helps to give volume and keep my hair looking fresh and clean – like I just washed it.
How to Make a DIY Dry Shampoo Powder – Step By Step
This homemade dry shampoo powder works great as an everyday hair refresher. Both the arrowroot powder and bentonite clay help to absorb excess oil and give hair a volume boost. Keep it in a shaker bottle in your bathroom and use as needed or apply with a make-up brush to the roots.
Add all ingredients together and pour into a shaker bottle. Cover and shake well to mix.
To apply to hair, shake powder over the roots and other oily areas. Use a make-up brush or your fingers to comb the powder through the hair.
When to Use This DIY Dry Shampoo
A great trick is to apply this dry shampoo at night and let the powder or spray settle into the hair at night. The tossing and turning will help to spread the powder in evenly, so that you can go as long as 1-4 days between washes.
How to Make a DIY Dry Shampoo Spray
If you prefer a dry shampoo spray, you’ll love this recipe. It works particularly well to help revitalize hair after the gym or when hair feels more greasy. The vodka helps to deodorize hair and give a little more volume to the roots.
The arrowroot/cornstarch help to absorb oil, while essential oils provide a great scent. Like the dry shampoo powder, this can be used at night to help the mixture settle into the hair. Try morning or night to see what works best for you.
How to Make Different Scents for This DIY Dry Shampoo
- For help with hair growth: 4 drops Lavender essential oil, 2 drops Cedarwood essential oil, 2 drops Rosemary essential oil
- For boosting hair strength: 4 drops Lavender essential oil, 2 drops Ylang Ylang essential oil
- For oily hair: 4 drops Lavender essential oil, 2 drops Tea Tree essential oil
Top Tips For This DIY Shampoo
- If you have darker hair, use 2 tbsp of arrowroot 2 tbsp cocoa powder.
- Make sure to shake your mixes well.
- Use a makeup brush or your fingers to comb the powder through your hair.
- With the spray, don’t soak the areas, but do spray oily areas as needed.
More DIY Recipes You Might Like
- DIY Argan Hair Serum
- DIY Hair Detangler Spray + Printable Label
- 10 Homemade Natural Skin Care Recipes
Check out my book Natural Beauty Made Simple. It comes with 45 homemade skincare recipes with a set of printable labels and gift tags. You can download it instantly to your phone, computer or e-reader, so it’s portable and can go with you anywhere!
With this book, you’ll learn how to:
- Make your own organic beauty and skin care products for less than $25 a month!
- Learn simple techniques to make your own skincare – without the fuss of complicated recipes or hard-to-find ingredients
- Get tried-and-true recipes that work to nourish the skin and make it look more radiant than ever before
- Create beautiful gifts for friends and family with the printable labels and gift tags I’ve included with this book
DIY Dry Shampoo Powder
- Add all ingredients together and pour into a shaker bottle. Cover and shake well to mix.
- To apply to hair, shake powder over the roots and other oily areas. Use a make-up brush or your fingers to comb the powder through the hair.
DIY Dry Shampoo Spray
- Add all ingredients to a small spray bottle and shake well.
- To apply to hair, shake the bottle well first (as the contents can settle at the bottom). Then, hold the spray bottle a few inches from the hair and spray the roots and oily areas of the hair. Don’t soak the hair, but do spray as needed on oily areas.
- Let air dry or blow dry and comb out any areas that have white patches from the dry shampoo spray.
FREE DIY Beauty Book
Get glowing skin and learn how to make your own DIY beauty products with simple ingredients from your kitchen. Plus, get my 7-day essential oils course to get gorgeous skin from the inside out.