Make this homemade DIY Coconut Brown Sugar Scrub with just 2 ingredients. It’s a simple way to get a spa experience at home.
This post contains affiliate links. Please read my affiliate disclosure.
You don’t need to spend hundreds of dollars at the spa to get a spa-like experience. You can do it at home with this super simple DIY coconut Brown Sugar Scrub. It’s so luxurious on the skin – and it’ll make your skin feel so soft and moisturized. Use it as a base homemade sugar scrub recipe where you can change up the add-ons (I’ve got some suggestions below) and have fun.
Store Bought vs. Homemade Brown Sugar Scrub
The best part is that when you make your own DIY sugar scrub you’ll save a ton of money over the store-bought versions. You’ll also be able to use better quality ingredients and cut out the preservatives and artificial junk. This basic sugar scrub recipe is just TWO ingredients. Seriously, it can’t get easier than that. Just compare a store-bought sugar scrub and look at the laundry list of ingredients and chemicals. No thanks!
How to Make This DIY Coconut Brown Sugar Scrub
1. Get your ingredients together.
2. Add brown sugar to a glass bowl.
3. Spoon the sugar scrub into a Mason jar for storage.
How to Use This DIY Coconut Brown Sugar Scrub
Now for the fun part! When taking a bath or shower, simply scoop out the desired amount of scrub with a small spoon or spatula and exfoliate from neck to feet. Concentrate on especially dry areas like elbows and knees for really soft moisturized skin.
I love to use this scrub after washing my hands. All you have to do is scoop out a small amount and massage your hands, especially around the cuticles.
Why This DIY Coconut Brown Sugar Scrub Works
1. Brown Sugar
Brown sugar is a natural exfoliator with small particles that makes it gentler than sea salt as a scrub and softer than regular sugar. That’s why it’s perfect for the face or sensitive skin. Brown sugar also contains glycolic acid, which is a natural alpha-hydroxl acid that helps to remove dead skin cells and promote new cell turnover – giving skin a healthy glow. It’s also hydrating and helps to keep moisture locked in and toxins out.
2. Coconut Oil
Is there anything coconut oil can’t do? I mean, it just makes this scrub so heavenly to use! If you don’t know already, coconut oil is known to deeply penetrate and moisturize even the driest of the dry skin so if you have ashy knees and elbows, coconut oil is your new best friend. Not only that, coconut oil will also nourish and rehydrate peeling cuticles as well as restore luster and plumpness to dry hands and feet.
Video Tutorial: DIY Coconut Brown Sugar Scrub
Customize to Make Your Own Sugar Scrub
- Margarita in a Bottle – add 3-4 drops Stress Away essential oil (made with Copaiba, Lime, Cedarwood, Lavender, Ocotea and Vanilla). It smells like a lime margarita in a bottle. Doesn’t that sound refreshing at the end of a long day? Plus, the Vanilla oil really plays up with the brown sugar and coconut in this scrub and smells amazing.
- Pumpkin Spice – add 1 drop Cinnamon Bark essential oil and 2 drops Orange essential oil to make a pumpkin spice body scrub that’s good enough to eat!
- Vanilla Sugar – add 1/2 tsp vanilla extra to make a scrumptious body scrub that smells like dessert fresh out of the oven.
How Long Does This Sugar Scrub Last?
This combination of sugar and oils will last a good long time – more than a year, but it’s so good you not ever find out!
If you start adding extra ingredients, the shelf life may drop. Not a big deal, just use it up more quickly or make smaller batches. Moisture promotes mold, so any ingredient with water content may perish sooner: fruits, fresh herbs, brewed tea, coffee grounds. You can add vitamin E oil (tocopherols) as a preservative, but still keep an eye on it. If it looks or smells not quite right, it’s time to whip up a new batch.
Top Tips For This Coconut Brown Sugar Scrub
- Essential oils are optional but work really well.
- Great to use just after washing your hands.
- A mason jar works great as a container.
- Use a small spoon or spatula to spread the scrub from head to toe.
More DIY Recipes You Might Like
Did you try this DIY Coconut Brown Sugar Scrub? Don’t forget to rate the it and comment below to let me know how it went. You can also FOLLOW ME on Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest to see what other fun things I’m getting up to.
DIY Coconut Brown Sugar Scrub
- Add brown sugar to glass bowl.
- Add coconut oil and essential oils (optional) and stir gently.
- Spoon into a Mason jar for storage.
How to Use This DIY Coconut Brown Sugar Scrub
- For Body: Now for the fun part! When taking a bath or shower, simply scoop out the desired amount of scrub with a small spoonor spatula and exfoliate from neck to feet. Concentrate on especially dry areas like elbows and knees for really soft moisturized skin.
- For Hands: I love to use this scrub after washing my hands. All you have to do is scoop out a small amount and massage your hands, especially around the cuticles.
Check out my book Natural Beauty Made Simple. It comes with 45 homemade skincare recipes with a set of printable labels and gift tags. You can download it instantly to your phone, computer or e-reader, so it’s portable and can go with you anywhere!
With this book, you’ll learn how to:
- Make your own organic beauty and skin care products for less than $25 a month!
- Learn simple techniques to make your own skincare – without the fuss of complicated recipes or hard-to-find ingredients
- Get tried-and-true recipes that work to nourish the skin and make it look more radiant than ever before
- Create beautiful gifts for friends and family with the printable labels and gift tags I’ve included with this book