Ditch the store-bought lip balm, and make this DIY Chocolate Peppermint Lip Balm that’s perfect for fall and winter because it’s so nourishing and helps to keep lips hydrated when the seasons change. It’s made with just 4 ingredients that you can easily get at the store, and it makes a great gift for a group. Make big batches and gift to everyone on your holiday list.
This post contains affiliate links. Please read my affiliate disclosure.
This DIY Chocolate Peppermint Lip Balm is one of my favorite recipes to make during the holidays to gift to friends and family. It’s also a great DIY for kids birthday or a spa night-in with the girls. It smells amazing, the perfect mixture of cocoa and mint, and feels luxurious on the lips as the cocoa butter in this recipe is extra nourishing for the fall and winter months.
Ingredients You’ll Need
You’ll just need four ingredients: coconut oil, cocoa butter, peppermint essential oils and beeswax. Opt for organic ingredients as this will be going on your lips and you don’t want to consume anything that’s got artificial ingredients or preservatives.
- Coconut oil helps to lock in moisture and leave lips soft and soothe skin.
- Cocoa butter is derived from the cacao bean like chocolate, it literally smells like chocolate. Not only does it smell amazing, it’s high in vitamin E and antioxidants. The consistency is hard, almost like a block of Parmesan cheese, and it’s got a yellowish hue in color. Be sure to get organic, unrefined, raw cocoa butter.
- Beeswax is the secret ingredient to firm up this lip balm (similar to a commercial lip balm) so it can be used on the go.
- Peppermint essential oil gives this recipe the mint scent and flavor. I highly recommend this brand of peppermint oil because it’s made for internal use – so if you lick your lips after applying this lip balm you’ll feel safe knowing it can be ingested.
If you want your lip balm to have a chocolate-brown color, you can add cocoa powder to this recipe. It’s totally optional, but it can be fun to add to give it that classic brown color of chocolate. Be sure to get organic cocoa powder, not cacao powder.
How to Make Chocolate Peppermint Lip Balm Recipe – Step by Step
- Add coconut oil, cocoa butter and beeswax to a double boiler on the stove.
- On low heat, melt them together. Use a metal spoon to stir the mixture. It’ll take about 5 minutes to fully melt.
- Remove from heat once melted and add peppermint essential oil. If you want to use cocoa powder, this is the step to do it.
- Quickly fill lip balm tubes or tins, and let cool for about an hour to firm up.
This recipe makes about 20 lip balm tubes or tins, but that depends on the size of the containers you get. You can easily double or triple this recipe to make gifts for others.
Where to Buy Lip Balm Containers
You can use lip balm jars or lip balm containers. I prefer these over lip balm tins.
Top Tips for Making This Chocolate Mint Lip Balm
- Be sure to weigh out all ingredients for precise measurement. You can use an inexpensive kitchen scale to do the job.
- Make a simple double boiler without the extra equipment: take a small saucepan and place a rimmed glass bowl over it. No need to buy a special double boiler just for this purpose. Check out the video to see what I use.
- These lip balms hold up to heat very well but as with all lip balms, keep away from direct heat and sunlight. If keeping one in the car, store lip balm upright so the shape doesn’t get distorted when under heat.
- Throw three to a bundle of these lip balms into a muslin bag that makes a lovely gift.
More DIY Recipes You Might Like
Chocolate Peppermint Lip Balm Recipe
- 1 Double boiler or small stainless steel pot
- 1 metal spoon
- 20 lip balm containers
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tbsp cocoa butter shredded
- 1.5 tbsp beeswax
- 10 drops peppermint essential oil
- 1/2-1 tbsp cocoa powder unsweetened
- Add all ingredients (except essential oils) to a double boiler on low heat on the stove.
- Stir with a metal spoon until beeswax is fully melted. It should take about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat once melted and add peppermint essential oil. Stir well.
- Quickly fill lip balm tubes or tins, and let cool for about an hour to fully firm up.
Check out my book Natural Beauty Made Simple. It comes with 45 homemade skincare recipes with a set of printable labels and gift tags. You can download it instantly to your phone, computer or e-reader, so it’s portable and can go with you anywhere!
- Make your own organic beauty and skin care products for less than $25 a month!
- Learn simple techniques to make your own skincare – without the fuss of complicated recipes or hard-to-find ingredients
- Get tried-and-true recipes that work to nourish the skin and make it look more radiant than ever before
- Create beautiful gifts for friends and family with the printable labels and gift tags I’ve included with this book