This DIY Beard Oil is so easy to make and helps to nourish the skin (and helps to prevent the itchiness from growing a beard) and keep facial hair healthy and strong. Find out how to make it with just a few ingredients and for a lot less than those expensive beard maintenance kits.
Beards are back and becoming more popular again. But like any personal grooming, it can take some work to maintain those beards to keep them groomed, healthy and strong.
And here’s the thing you don’t need those expensive shave or beard maintenance kits to do it. Many of those kits cost 10 times (about $25-40) the price of actually making it yourself. And the added bonus of making your own DIY Beard Oil? You know exactly what’s going in it and you can avoid chemical ingredients – like preservatives and synthetic fragrances.
Benefits of This DIY Beard Oil
This DIY Beard Oil is not only easy to make but has the perfect mix of ingredients. Let’s go over why this natural beard oil rocks…
- It softens and nourishes the skin. It’s made with all-natural carrier oils (jojoba oil and almond oil), which are both fantastic for skin care. You can actually use beard oil recipe on the whole face as a moisturizer.
- It naturally conditions facial hair so it feels soft to the touch.
- This DIY Beard Oil helps to prevent split ends, ingrown hairs, and beard dandruff (yes, it’s a thing) thanks to the jojoba and almond oil.
- It makes it easier for styling and keeps stray hairs in check (no more frizzing).
Sounds awesome right?!
How to Make This DIY Beard Oil – Step by Step
It’s so easy to make your own DIY Beard Oil. In fact, after the first time, you’ll see that it takes just a couple of minutes with just a few ingredients: jojoba oil, almond oil and essential oils.
Essential oils give this beard oil recipe a “mountain man” fragrance, and also helps to nourish the skin and keep facial hair healthy. Some other essential oil combinations to try are Cedarwood and Lavender, or Cedarwood, Lavender and Sandalwood.
1. Fill 1 oz glass dropper bottle with 1/2 oz jojoba oil and 1/2 oz almond oil.
2. Add 4 drops Pine essential oil, 4 drops Cypress essential oil, 3 drops Patchouli essential oil to the serum bottle.
3. Put the lid on and shake well.
About the Ingredients
- Jojoba oil is one of the best oils for face. It’s a bit thicker than other carrier oils (like almond or avocado oil) and more closely resembles the sebum produced by the skin glands. It’s one of the best natural skin moisturizers. It also has antibacterial properties that can help to control bacteria growth in the hair follicles – perfect for beards. It also has vitamin A and vitamin E – both nourishing to the skin.
- Almond oil is an excellent light moisturizer for the skin and hair. It helps to moisturize the skin and soothes freshly shaved skin, and keeps facial hair healthy and strong. It’s like an all-natural beard conditioner.
- Essential oils are used as a natural fragrance and help to soothe and moisturize the skin and hair.
Can You Use Coconut Oil?
That’s up to you. I find that coconut oil can be too heavy for the face and hair. But if you have thick, course hair it might be the right option for you. I suggest using fractionated coconut oil (which is in a liquid form) instead of regular coconut oil (which stays in a solid state up to 76 degree F (24 C) for this recipe so it’s easy to get out of the bottle.
Using Avocado Oil
Next, there’s avocado oil, which is referred to sometimes as beard food. We all know avocado has tons of vitamins, antioxidants, amino acids, protein, and healthy fats. These same things work wonders for your beard. Avocado balances pH, hydrates, and relieves dry, flaky, and itchy skin. It relieves inflammation and is especially great if you tend to have more brittle or dry hair. The high fat content also promotes hair growth and helps to add shine.
How to Use This Beard Oil
To use, put a few drops of oil in the palm of hands, massage into skin under beard and then through the beard.
How to Get Started with Essential Oils
- Sign up for my FREE essential oil email course in order to learn the basics.
- Check out my FREE masterclass all about essential oils and this beginner’s guide to essential oils.
- Get my essential oils online course – complete with video tutorials, e-book and everything you need to get started with essential oils.
- Find out how to buy essential oils at wholesale, and get a starter kit for 60% off retail prices. It’s the best deal around and a great way to get started with essential oils. Plus lots of freebies just for you!
Top Tips For This DIY Beard Oil
- This beard oil makes a good amount. Keep some extra in a small glass mason jar and refill your dropper as needed, or give out as gifts! Perfect for Father’s Day!
- A funnel is a mess-free way to fill these bottles!
- Make sure anything you make with pure grade essential oils are kept in glass containers, not plastic.
- If you suffer from acne, natural astringents such as hazelnut oil and grapeseed oil work very well.
More DIY Tutorials
Did you try these DIY Beard Oil? Don’t forget to rate the recipe and comment below to let me know how it went. You can also FOLLOW ME on Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest.
DIY Beard Oil
- 1 oz glass dropper bottle
- 4 tsp almond oil
- 3 tsp jojoba oil
- 4 drops pine essential oil
- 4 drops cypress
- 3 drops patchouli
- Fill small serum bottle with 1/2 oz jojoba oil and 1/2 oz almond oil
- Add pine essential oil to the serum bottle.
- Add cypress oil to the serum bottle
- Add patchouli to the serum bottle.
- Put the lid on and shake well.
- To use, put a few drops of oil in the palm of hands, massage into skin under beard and then through the beard.
- Makes about 1.5 oz of DIY Beard Oil.
- Double or triple this recipe to make a bigger batch (it will keep for longer periods - up to 6 months) or to give out as gifts.
Want More DIY Recipes?
Check out my book Natural Beauty Made Simple. It comes with 45 homemade skincare recipes with a set of printable labels and gift tags. You can download it instantly to your phone, computer or e-reader, so it’s portable and can go with you anywhere!
With this book, you’ll learn how to:
- Make your own organic beauty and skin care products for less than $25 a month!
- Learn simple techniques to make your own skincare – without the fuss of complicated recipes or hard-to-find ingredients
- Get tried-and-true recipes that work to nourish the skin and make it look more radiant than ever before
- Create beautiful gifts for friends and family with the printable labels and gift tags I’ve included with this book
FREE DIY Beauty Book
Get glowing skin and learn how to make your own DIY beauty products with simple ingredients from your kitchen. Plus, get my 7-day essential oils course to get gorgeous skin from the inside out.
Beard Mantra says
Wow! This DIY Beard Oil is so easy to make and helps to nourish the skin and helps to prevent the itchiness from growing a beard and keep facial hair healthy and strong.