Forget commercial air fresheners. They’re full of toxins. Make your own DIY Air Freshener with just 3 ingredients. It’s simple, non-toxic and all natural.
We all have a spot in our home that’s an odor magnet. It could be a shoe closet, hamper, bathroom, garbage can, a musty closet or a diaper pail.
Our spot is our bathroom trash can. Maybe it’s the combination of the moisture of the shower/bath and the high traffic the bathroom gets from my family of five. But it ALWAYS stinks. Can you relate?
I used to buy air fresheners from the store thinking they would help to get rid of the odors. And I thought they did until I did more research.
Here’s what I found… those store-bought air fresheners don’t deodorize they just mask the smells in your home with toxic chemicals such as formaldehyde (a known carcinogen – which means it’s known to cause cancer), synthetic fragrances (that can cause allergies, asthma and other respiratory illnesses), and phthalates (which are linked to hormone disruption and male reproductive system birth defects).1
What?! The very thing we think is cleaning and purifying our air is actually making us sick? YES!
It doesn’t matter if it’s an aerosol air freshener, candle, plug-in air freshener, or spray air freshener. Because we all spend most of our time indoors (at home, work, or school) we’re exposed to these toxics more than ever.
Why Make Air Freshener?
It’s actually very easy to make your own natural DIY air freshener. In fact, this recipe has just three ingredients that you probably already have in your home. This can be used to spray on linens, shoes, garbage cans, diaper pails or pretty much anywhere you want to eliminate odors.
Vodka or rubbing alcohol is used in this air freshener recipe as it dissipates quickly and doesn’t leave a residue on furniture or upholstery. It also helps to clear odors from the air and fabrics.
This DIY Air Freshener recipe is great for small spray bottles too. Keep it in the car to freshener the air on the go.
About the Ingredients
- Witch hazel helps to keep the water in this air freshener purified so it’ll last about a month
- Lavender essential oil provides a relaxing and calming scent, which is great for linens and closets.
- Lemon essential oil provides a refreshing scent, which is great for kitchens and bathrooms.
How to Make This DIY Air Freshener
1. Fill spray bottle with 1 cup water and 1/4 cup witch hazel.
3. Place spray nozzle on and close. Shake the bottle for a few seconds before each use.
How to Get Started with Essential Oils
- Sign up for my FREE essential oil email course in order to learn the basics.
- Check out my FREE online webinars all about essential oils and this beginner’s guide to essential oils.
- Get my essential oils online course – complete with video tutorials, e-book and everything you need to get started with essential oils.
- Find out how to buy essential oils at wholesale, and get a starter kit for 60% off retail prices. It’s the best deal around and a great way to get started with essential oils. Plus lots of freebies just for you!
More DIY Recipes
- DIY Carpet Freshener
- DIY Poo Pourri: After You Poo Spray
- DIY Natural Disinfectant Spray (Homemade Lysol)
Check out my book Natural Beauty Made Simple. It comes with 45 homemade skincare recipes with a set of printable labels and gift tags. You can download it instantly to your phone, computer or e-reader, so it’s portable and can go with you anywhere!
With this book, you’ll learn how to:
- Make your own organic beauty and skin care products for less than $25 a month!
- Learn simple techniques to make your own skincare – without the fuss of complicated recipes or hard-to-find ingredients
- Get tried-and-true recipes that work to nourish the skin and make it look more radiant than ever before
- Create beautiful gifts for friends and family with the printable labels and gift tags I’ve included with this book
Forget commercial air fresheners. They're full of toxins. Make your own DIY Air Freshener with just 3 ingredients. It's simple, non-toxic and all natural.
Fill spray bottle with water and witch hazel.
Add essential oils and cover with spray nozzle.
Shake the bottle for a few seconds before each use.
Other essential oil combinations for this recipe:
- 5-7 drops Thieves + 5-7 drops Orange = Pumpkin Spice
- 5-7 drops Eucalyptus + 5-7 drops Peppermint = Minty Clean
- 5-7 drops Lemongrass + 5-7 drops Lemon = Lemon Zest
Vodka can be used in place of witch hazel. It's actually a nice alternative because it dissipates faster than water.
- Your Best Air Freshener Isn’t An Air Freshener, Environmental Working Group
FREE DIY Beauty Book
Get glowing skin and learn how to make your own DIY beauty products with simple ingredients from your kitchen. Plus, get my 7-day essential oils course to get gorgeous skin from the inside out.