Keep your bathroom smelling fresh and clean all the time with this DIY Poo Pourri tutorial for After You Poo Spray. They’re cheap and easy to make.
This post contains affiliate links. Please read my affiliate disclosure.
It’s bound to happen… you or a guest in your home needs to go #2 but there’s the embarrassment factor. What can you do to cover up the smell? Well, first, keep a DIY Reed Diffuser in the bathroom so it smells great all the time. Second, make this DIY Poo Pourri – After You Poo Spray and keep it in the bathroom to get rid of the odors.
My friend Halle Cottis of the blog Whole Lifestyle Nutrition came up with this easy tutorial in her new book Natural Solutions for Cleaning and Wellness. This is part of her recipes for bathroom air fresheners. I’m loving this book because it’s a go-to guide for pretty much all things natural when it comes to cleaning, wellness and natural remedies. I’ll talk more about the book in a bit. First, let’s get to the tutorial.
So why make your own DIY Poo Pourri – After You Poo Spray?
It’s dirt cheap. Really, it’s just a few ingredients plus essential oils, and you can make it again and again. Plus, the ingredients are clean and natural, in fact, you probably already have them in your home.
I like this so even my 5 year old can use it in the bathroom without all the synthetic fragrances in traditional air fresheners or after you poo sprays.
Before we get to the recipe, I want to share with you that I LOVE the Squatty Potty. It has totally changed the way we poo. I was even tempted to get Unicorn Gold (after poo spray) because I love the maker Squatty Potty, and the commercial for Unicorn Gold is hilarious.
But then as I looked at the ingredients (or lack thereof) I was worried what was really in that “natural fragrance” and I’m not so sure if I want nano gold particles in the air or in my bathroom. I certainly know I don’t want to pay $15 for a 4 oz bottle when I can make my own After You Poo Spray for less than $1.
So here’s how you can make your own bathroom spray that will help to eliminate #2 odors.
Did you try this recipe? Don’t forget to rate the recipe and comment below to let me know how it went. You can also FOLLOW ME on Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest to see what other fun things I’m getting up to.
DIY Poo Pourri - After You Poo Spray
- 1/2 cup distilled water
- 2 tbsp vodka
- Essential oils
- Glass spray bottle - try a perfume atomizer so it looks pretty on the bathroom counter
- In a small spray bottle, mix together the distilled water, vodka and essential oils of choice (where to buy). Lemon, orange, lime, bergamot and grapefruit are all great choices. Shake well and spray your DIY Poo Pourri after you're done in the bathroom.
Looking for More Non-Toxic Cleaning Recipes?
Check out Natural Solutions for Cleaning and Wellness by my friend Halle Cottis of Whole Lifestyle Nutrition. You’ll find recipes for non-toxic cleaning as well as natural remedies. I’m loving it because it’s really a go-to resource for anyone who wants to live a more natural lifestyle but aren’t sure where to start. Just thumb through this gorgeous guide to find easy-to-follow recipes to make everything from glass cleaner to natural remedies for burns and other skin irritations.
- Bathroom – toilet cleaner, scouring powder, mirror cleaner
- Kitchen – dish soap, disinfectant cleaner, degreaser
- Laundry – fabric softener, sour towel relief, laundry stain remover
- Household Cleaning – leather furniture cleaner, wood floor cleaner
- Fresheners and Deodorizers – no-wax candles, trash can deodorizer
- Pest Control – fruit flies, bed bugs, mice
- Outdoors – weed killer, garden pesticide, screen cleaner
- Head, Ears, Face and Mouth – headaches, migraines, swimmer’s ear
- Chest, Throat and Immune System – sore throat syrup, vapor rub
- Hands, Legs, Arms and Feet – body wash, sunscreen
- Skin Irritations and Health Conditions – eczema treatment, minor skin burns, razor bumps
- Digestive System – constipation, bloating, hiccups
- Emotional Pain and Support – PMS, menstrual cramps, insomnia
For instance, did you know that most commercial products used to clean bathrooms are chock full of chemicals and can be harmful to you AND your family? It’s so easy to make your own bathroom cleaners with baking soda, hydrogen peroxide, vinegar and essential oils (where to buy). You could make your own Toilet Cleaner, Mold and Mildew Cleaner, and Soap Scum Remover with recipes from this book.
You can even make your DIY bathroom air fresheners without the harsh chemicals in synthetic fragrances, like this DIY Easy Potpourri.
DIY Easy Potpourri
- Dried flowers flower petals and herbs
- Essential oils
- Save flowers, flower petals and fresh herbs and dry them for future use. Combine some dried flowers and herbs in a small container and add your favorite essential oils (where to buy). Cover and let them sit for several weeks.
- Now transfer the potpourri to an open container and enjoy the scent. You can refresh the essentials oils as they dissipate.
Photo credit: Bigstockphoto.com / tashka2000, Qwart, 9george