Here’s an easy Gluten- Free Sweet Potato Soup recipe you can make that’s a bit sweet and savory – garnished with bacon and sweet cream. It’s the perfect weekday meal that’s easy and quick to make.
One thing I love about fall is the all the yummy fall produce, such as pumpkin, squash, yams and, of course, sweet potato. They all remind me of Thanksgiving dinner – one of my favorite meals of the year.
This Sweet Potato Soup Is Perfect Comfort Food For Fall
We make one dish for Thanksgiving that’s a simple sweet potato with fresh whipped cream and a drizzle of maple syrup that is simply delicious. But on a cold day like today, I thought about reconstructing that sweet potato Thanksgiving dish into a savory, satisfying and (of course) gluten-free sweet potato soup.
And, oh boy, it came out to be positively scrumptious. Like, I was licking the bowl clean.
The sweet potatoes add a rich creaminess to the soup so there’s no need to add cream or flour to thicken it. Also, the bacon adds a bit of saltiness to the dish – but you could omit the bacon and add a touch of salt.
The base soup is delicious on its own – so it can easily be made vegan with a vegetable stock. Top with a cashew cream and roasted pumpkin seeds for a yummy vegan version.
Where to Get Kitchen Pantry Essentials
p.s. Looking for tips to transition to a real food or healthy gluten-free lifestyle? Check out my free Real Food Guide email course and e-book.
Did you try this sweet potato soup? Don’t forget to rate the recipe and comment below to let me know how it went. You can also FOLLOW ME on Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest to see what other fun things I’m getting up to.
- 3-4 medium organic sweet potatoes
- 4 cups bone broth or chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 tbsp pastured or organic butter
- 1 onion chopped
- 1/2 carrot chopped
- 1/2 celery stalk chopped
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 package of nitrate-free bacon about 12-14 slices
- 1 cup organic Greek-style yogurt
- 1-2 tbsp organic maple syrup
- 1-2 stalks fresh parsley chopped (optional)
Pre-heat oven to 350°C/180°F degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Lay out bacon about 1/2-inch apart.
- Cut sweet potatoes in quarters (or cut loosely in large pieces), and place on a separate baking sheet.
- Bake both sweet potatoes and bacon for 40 minutes. Remove sweet potatoes from oven and continue to cook bacon until done – about 5-10 minutes.
- In a large stock pot, cook celery, carrot, onion and garlic with butter for 1-2 minutes over medium heat.
- Add bone broth or stock and sweet potatoes. Simmer for 5-7 minutes.
- Use an immersion hand blender to puree sweet potatoes in stock pot. Once fully pureed, turn off heat and set aside.
- In a small bowl mix yogurt and maple syrup. Set aside.
- Serve soup with a dollop or two of the maple cream. Top with crumbled bacon and sprinkle with parsley.
More Gluten-Free Soups You Might Like
Photo credit: Bigtstockphoto.com / NatashaBreen
FREE real food guide
Eat healthier in just 7 days with my real food guide and email course. You'll learn how easy it is to go gluten-free and still enjoy the foods that you love.